Using community sprites in hobby game

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

raycrasher
Ensign
Ensign

Using community sprites in hobby game

Post by raycrasher »

I already PMed Kaelis for permission to use his sprites for use in a BSF-inspired game, but as I understand it he's gone. Therefore I'm asking the community - Can I use the community sprites? Due credit will be given, of course, and the game will be released open source once it is playable. I have my sights on Kaelis' sprites and Horsemonster's weapons, and would very much love to use them.

The game's a BSF clone in the sense that you can find BSF gameplay elements in it, but the visual style will be different, the game has big RPG and 4X elements, and it has multiplayer.

Thank you for BSF. :D
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Re: Using community sprites in hobby game

Post by Kiltric »

As long as credit is given, I don't think any of the sprite artists would mind much, but that's really up to them.

The game itself though, it sounds as if it may be infringing on BSF a tad.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

It's not as if "piecing a ship together from other bits" is an original concept. This sounds plenty different from BSF, so it doesn't sound like it's infringing at all.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Hardly infringing, aye. BSF is not original itself, being inspired by Warning Forever. Plus there's fraxy, which I think predates BSF a little and is again fairly similar to Warning Forever in some respects.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Eh, I just figured caution first, but it's not like Sean's really around to complain anyway.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

I thought WF was inspired by BSF, not the other way around?
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Hell no. BSF's original simplified/abstracted artstyle is because it's based off Warning Forever's.

Straight from the Games page on the main Wyrdysm site;
Battleships Forever is inspired by and loosely based on Warning Forever by Hikoza.T.Ohkubo
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

Well, the more you know. :P
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
raycrasher
Ensign
Ensign

Post by raycrasher »

Thank you so much. I will use them well. I have some screenies, very early development, please ignore the crappy ships, I'm just testing out the visual style.
Spoiler!
Robert Joe
Ensign
Ensign
Location: Rual Connecticut, No "Look behind you" joke here....

Post by Robert Joe »

I do hate to barge in here. However, I was going to make a very similar thread, and I thought that it would be better if I posted here instead of creating a new topic. This thread is only a few days old, that does not count as necroing, right?

Anyway, in case you did not know, I am one of the people from the Shellcore Command forum, and I am making a Shellcore Command fangame. I was wondering if it would be okay if Nagaya (From the Battleships Forever campaign) made a cameo as an unlockable character in the said game. Full credit to will be given to Th15 and there will be a link to the Battleships Forever website on the main menu.
Copper and winter are the banes of my existence.

WARNING: Do not say anything good about copper near this post, I am not held accountable for injury, ringing of the ears, and death.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Robert Joe wrote:Anyway, in case you did not know, I am one of the people from the Shellcore Command forum, and I am making a Shellcore Command fangame. I was wondering if it would be okay if Nagaya (From the Battleships Forever campaign) made a cameo as an unlockable character in the said game. Full credit to will be given to Th15 and there will be a link to the Battleships Forever website on the main menu.
You'd probably be better off asking th15 about that. Send him a pm or something. Still, I don't think he'd object too much.

Also copper is fantastic.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.