BSF Tournament

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: BSF Tournament

Post by Anna »

8 Entrants might be... uh... hard to get. Jesus, I'm not sure the forum even has that many active members anymore.

Fuckit, I'm gonna give this shit a shot, just because damnit I'd really like to see the forum live again, at least for a little while.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
James_Markam
Functionally Retarded

Post by James_Markam »

What do you think I would need to do to make my newest ships (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5572) acceptable in the tournament? Just ignore this.
Last edited by James_Markam on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

The purge has begun...

[hr][/hr]ImageImageImageImage
[spoiler]Image
So, how do I get to the core from here?
[/spoiler]
Anna

Post by Anna »

Presumably you'd need to make their stats apply to the rules he laid out in the first post...
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
James_Markam
Functionally Retarded

Post by James_Markam »

I know that but any thing specific like problems with the shield or any things like that.Just ignore this.
Last edited by James_Markam on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

The purge has begun...

[spoiler]Image
[/spoiler]
Biggums425
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Biggums425 »

I would love to enter but I have a problem

I can't download the shields, or anything on the site

Do I have permssion to make my own shield?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Biggums425 wrote:I can't download the shields, or anything on the site.
What? Why the hell not? Explain.
Quality Control Enforcer
Biggums425
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Biggums425 »

you know that thing it goes onto?

I haven't the slightest clue what to do
Anna

Post by Anna »

... Maybe you should learn to internets.

Also learn to communicate, because "you know that thing it goes onto?" isn't very specific. Which thing that what goes onto? The folder? The section? What? YOU MAKE NO SENSE.
Quality Control Enforcer
Ggngunner
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ggngunner »

Updated Anergia to conform with new rule set, tinkered round with the Dozori to max out weight.
Obviously, new download with the updated stuff in it too.
Dunno how to link to a post, so here's the link to the page.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5766&start=31
James_Markam
Functionally Retarded

Post by James_Markam »

After rereading the rules I decided to start from scratch. I only have my corvette ready (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5572&p=117871#p117871) but, finished. I don't understand how to get the speed and other things for the thrusters at all every time I tried it came out with a speed of like 170000 or 530000 and, do I have to change the section hp depending on the mass allowance?
Image Image Image

The purge has begun...

[spoiler]Image
[/spoiler]
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

ok Ggngunner, i'll download and check: you haven't updated the mass and power of the HASM arrays on the dozori's data, so they're still too high in both. #also, the anergia's plasma cannon need updating using the new weapon calculator, as there's been a slight tweak to explosive increase i see you've changed the shipmaker file without updating the spreadsheet, i've checked and updated, they're both good

Biggums425, i guess you mean you don't know where to download the shields file and where to put it (in the "custom sprites" folder) i'd advise you dowload all of the builder's shi[p maker repack to use: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5764&start=0

and as for the thrusters, seeing as a couple of people have now had trouble with them, i'll post a quick guide.

step 1 - decide on what type of thruster you want to use. chemical for a balance of everything, ion for more acceleration and turning or fusion for more speed (and you can use different thrusters of different types on one ship)

step 2 - decide upon the mass of the thruster you want to use (note, this must not exceed the maximum for the mounting)

step 3 - calculate from this the power requirements of the thruster (note, this must not exceed the maximum for the mounting)

step 4 - calculate the speed, acceleration and turning values from the mass of the thruster (note, these may be in thousands or tens of thousands, this is perfectly normal)

step 5 - when your ship is complete, divide the total speed, acceleration and turning values from all thrusters to find your ships speed, turning and acceleration

example:
i choose to have a 1000 mass chemical thruster
from this i can calculate that it will use 1000*0.4=400 power
and will produce 1000*10=10000 speed, 1000*0.25=250acceleration and 1000*4=400 turning
as my ship has a total mass of 5000, it's speed, turning and acceleration will be 10000/5000=2 speed, 250/5000=0.05 acceleration and 4000/5000 = 0.8 turning

ed: i've also swapped the fleets and cruiser rounds, as fleet battles are more fun to watch =P

it's good to have you joining in Anna, and with you that makes 5 people i know that are planning/making ships and 2 already entered, so we're not far away
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna

Post by Anna »

[01:04:54] <Anna> Mounting.
[01:05:25] <Anna> When it says "mass 50 mass +hp", does that mean a mount is required to be an individual section?
[01:05:35] <Anna> i.e. I can't have more than one weapon on a section?
[01:06:36] <STARSTRUCK> I... don't think so
[01:07:09] <Anna> But each mount apparently has hp.
[01:07:11] <STARSTRUCK> I haven't really thought about it myself, really the mounting rule is just there to nip uberweapons in the bud.
[01:07:18] <Anna> Which would make a mount a section.
[01:07:26] <STARSTRUCK> really but I think*
[01:07:45] <Anna> I suppose with a large mount you could put several low-mass, low-energy weapons on it.
Clarification? Am I correct in this assumption?
Quality Control Enforcer
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

originally it was intended that each mount would be an individual section, but that became too much of an effort and a disadvantage, so i ignored that, however i must have forgot to take the "+hp" off of the ruleset, i'll do that now

so to clarify: the mounting does not have to be represented by a section, it's only there to prevent massively overpowered weapons, and yes, you can use a single mount to mount a turret with multiple smaller weapons
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
kittenpillar100
Commander
Commander

Post by kittenpillar100 »

I don't think so: my ships don't have their own sprites for the mounts and they're already entered.
Also with your second suggestion: you can make turrets on larger mounts to hold multiple smaller guns
I think the induction of "LOL" "OMG" and "<3" into the Oxford English Dictionary is a sign of the End Times. Only, instead of a rider on a pale horse, it'll be a gibberish-spewing spastic in a monster truck named "The Dildozer".
Anna

Post by Anna »

Alright, thanks for the clarification, vidboi. :D Working on my Cruiser entry now, just need to add engines and weapons.
Quality Control Enforcer