Just a question...

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Just a question...

Post by Icy »

I know the forums are almost dead, but has th15 just abandoned the project entirely or is he just really busy?
I could see Battleships Forever as a game becoming popular again, I mean this is an awesome game even without the shipmaker. It just needs to be shown off more (i.e. facebook page) and if it was updated more often like the game minecraft commonly is. Then again I dunno, it would just be nice to see these forums become active again.
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Just a question...

Post by Anna »

I know the forums are almost dead, but has th15 just abandoned the project entirely or is he just really busy?
The last time he released an update for the game was over a year ago, the last time he posted on the forum at all was around five months ago. I'm guessing "abandoned the project entirely". I don't think he's really interested in BSF anymore, at all.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

If he doesn't care about it any more, does that mean we're free to update it ourselves?

While we're at it, Battleships Forever 2: Electric Boogaloo anyone?
My voiceacting portfolio.
""Go solo into a hail of projectiles", they said. "You'll be fine", they said."
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

I just find it sad that the first forum I regestered on and began to break out of my shell in just withered like this...

Sorry if this thread was a waste of time and space, I just had to get that off of my chest openly.
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Anna

Post by Anna »

If he doesn't care about it any more, does that mean we're free to update it ourselves?
Ahahaha no. At some point some people who do have the code might release future unofficial versions. If you're really lucky. But no, the game is still th15's property and nobody touches it without his permission.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

So essentially, he's just sitting on the rights, lurking on the forums, and not doing jack with the game that has somehow addicted this sad lot of people.
Anna

Post by Anna »

That is one way to interpret it. Another way is that he's simply lost interest in the game for a multitude of reasons and has moved on to doing other things, and doesn't want to give away the rights to the thing he created.
Quality Control Enforcer
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

That's fair, I suppose I'm just bitter that he's letting this die. I get it; I just wish he wouldn't.
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

We could make a rip-off :P. Starcraft is a rip-off of the Warhammer 40,000 IP and yet look how well it's doing.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

The sad part is he could probably even make some money off it if he finished a level and pushed the incomplete development through. Heck I'd buy it. Anyone seen the spyparty trailers? It looks pretty original. Seems like low tech games are getting more attention than card busters anyway.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Serithi wrote:We could make a rip-off :P. Starcraft is a rip-off of the Warhammer 40,000 IP and yet look how well it's doing.
Ugh, don't start this stupid argument. They've both copied elements from each other and that's the end of that.

~~
jwa8402 wrote:The sad part is he could probably even make some money off it if he finished a level and pushed the incomplete development through. Heck I'd buy it. Anyone seen the spyparty trailers? It looks pretty original. Seems like low tech games are getting more attention than card busters anyway.
Oh yeah, let's just slap a pricetag on something that's been freeware for the last couple of years. I'm sure a fixed campaign will make everyone want to buy it, and not download the freely available version. :P

BSF v0.81c was posted in late 2007. I think, as lifespans go, this is about as much as we can ask of an indie game that pretty much pushes GM7 to it's absolute limits.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ender
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Ender »

I doubt putting a pricetag on BSF would help it, but we could put some advertisments across the web on places like facebook, mmohut, freemmogamer, and various forums.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

well i don't know, but it's th15's decision, and we can't make it for him

why th15 appears to have stopped developing bsf? nobody really can know, but i guess it might be something to do with his progression in making games. from looking at early press releases bsf was always meant to be about gameplay, but for a long time the community has focused more on the shipbuilding side. i guess one problem th15 had with bsf is that it got too big, and that it overshadowed all his other games and stopped him from progressing onto new projects. for this reason, i guess he might've just dropped bsf to allow him to progress and do what he wants, rather than devote all his time to just one game
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Serithi
Commander
Commander

Post by Serithi »

So he just drops it, instead of allowing the community to finish it? Kind of a**hole-ish, don't you think?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Serithi, shut up. Why should he give away the rights to a game he made or make it public domain, just to make us, people who have done jack shit for him, happy? He doesn't owe us, or you, a fucking thing, do you understand that? Did you pay for the game? Did you give him donations? No. It's his game, he made it without recieving any payment, and he can do with it what he wishes. How does he have any obligation to make it open source so other people can finish it?
Quality Control Enforcer