Damaged Ships

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Damaged Ships

Post by Squishy »

1. make ship

2. take screenshot

3. add battle damage to screenshot of ship

4. convert editted screenshot into custom sprite

5. whether as doodad or 'over-effect' section, add this custom sprite underneath the ship

Net change: +1 sprite to total section count and you get a damaged 'layer' that does not interact with combat which is revealed when surface sections are picked off.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Yeah, but with your method, if you inputed it as a section it'd be shot at once the frontmost section of the ship was destroyed, and if it was a doodad, shots would go through it and needless to say that'd look just a wee a bit weird.
Skybuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skybuck »

Perhaps you guys (sprite makers) could simply draw some damaged sprites.

And then people could simply build damaged ships... like you just returned from a heavy war !

That way you don't need the "good/undamaged sprites, or just a few of em"...

So "screw" the layered idea for now... just build a damaged ship if you can !

Here is one idea:

Create a set of sprites which have a huge bite/gap taken out of it... by combining many of those sprites it could look like a gigant blast went through the ship from the depth... like a deathstar shot a hole through the entire's ship depth/body and then ofcourse some other little holes here and there... and some damaged front sections...

Maybe some "black stripes" on the sprites to represent explosion damage... or maybe some sprites with tearing in it... like the ship/sprite was rammed by another ship.

And how about some "windows" on the ships... (that's an idea in itself) and perhaps electricity sparks coming out of damaged sections... could be a gif animation... or perhaps some dood-ads... the game does have some electricity affect... but that's probably in-accessible to ship builders.

Perhaps some sections/sprites could be on fire... perhaps even special "doodads" fire sprites... which pretend like gas and firing coming out of certain parts....

For people who like creature ships... perhaps some tiles/sprites with lot's of "acid" bites on it... like it was bitten by aliens.

Perhaps even some acid weapons could be made... but that's probably just simply making a green bullit.
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

They already made said damaged sprites, go to the custom content section of the forum to find them.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
Skybuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skybuck »

Unfortunately most of the "filesmelt" links are dead :((

Perhaps """soon""" within a couple of weeks/months I might put a database online where sprites can be stored, ships as well ! ;) :)
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Don't bother with the spirte database, somethings already being done about that.

They said, "Life."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

"Being done"? The forum lets you upload attachments. If you can't figure out how to use the interface to upload a file to the forum, I suggest you consult the user manual for your brain and check everything is wired up properly.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

well i suppose there is the problem of making sure you have the permission of all the makers of the sprites so that you can repost them...
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Stop linking that. It's old, shit, and poorly organized.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Skybuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Skybuck »

The database would also be a single point to scroll fast through all ships and sprites... and automate the download process hopefully some more...

Currently it's a bit problematic finding good and cool ships and sprites... it requires travelling through the forum... looking for links... looking for sprites and the end result is one shippie... that can be speed up with a database...

If anybody is already working on it let me know... and who it is maybe we can work together on it :)
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Arc, I said something was being done about it, never said that it was complete.

They said, "Life."