Reviving the Community

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Reviving the Community

Post by Bad Boy »

Anna wrote:You're not asking for much, are you? :lol: "I JUST WANT THE WORLD!"
Of course man, I'm Greedy as Hell! (hope someone gets the reference)
Anna wrote:Multiplayer is done. Let me make that clear. To the best of my knowledge, th15 and Kaelis had it working somewhere in the region of well over four months ago. From what I heard, though I could be mistaken, they had it working very well at that. And Kaelis also figured out some ways to pretty significantly reduce framerate drops and increase performance.

But we're not getting to see any advancements, because th15 doesn't care (I'm guessing), and Kaelis is a wonderful antisocial jerk and they had a lover's quarrel which they still haven't gotten over, and I'm fucking sick of keeping all this under my hat since it looks like we're never gonna see any of it anyway.
But seriously though, I'm a little saddened by this and that no one else seems particularly outraged about this, cause it's pretty (really super) fucking retarded. Four months and neither party's gotten over shit on the internet? Jesus...

As for features, did I mention I'd like the encounter maker fixed? Just putting that out there :D

Oh, and whie I'm here, shameless self plug, did someone say encounters?
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Bad Boy wrote:But seriously though, I'm a little saddened by this and that no one else seems particularly outraged about this, cause it's pretty (really super) fucking retarded. Four months and neither party's gotten over shit on the internet? Jesus...
From where i've came from, half a year isn't that bad... The fabled "C2" has been in development for 7 (?) years now since the SS devs have announced it, so yeah... I guess the patience/apathy kinda rubbed off.

As for inactivity, i've been busy with my first year of college, so that's why I don't drop by much anymore.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Oh no, I don't mind them taking long to develop things, they have every a right to a life and I'd be (and have been) perfectly willing to be patient with that. What I mind is that it's almost done, but isn't being finished cause they had a, as it was so wonderfuly phrased by Anna, "lover's quarrel".
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Well, since Seraph already spilled the beans, i might as well clarify stuff he got wrong...

Anna wrote:It was the reason behind the whole "change in the forum attitude" or whatever
No, not really. In fact, i think th15 didnt even know about multiplayer at the time 'change in attitude' happened.
Anna wrote:that lasted all of a month before th15 and Kaelis stopped giving a shit and I started losing my temper again.
th15 didnt really say he would suddenly start moderating, he just gave the official stamp of approval. I didnt stop caring, i just figured it worked and everything is fine, and after what happened i... don't think its a good idea for me to participate.
Anna wrote:Of course, whether we see that something, which apparently they already had working almost perfectly, is up for debate, since apparently th15 and Kaelis aren't getting along right now.

So if you want to know why you don't have Multiplayer BSF, it's because th15 and Kaelis aren't mature enough to resolve their problems civilly and get the awesome done.

But we're not getting to see any advancements, because th15 doesn't care (I'm guessing), and Kaelis is a wonderful antisocial jerk and they had a lover's quarrel which they still haven't gotten over, and I'm fucking sick of keeping all this under my hat since it looks like we're never gonna see any of it anyway.
Now thats just unfair, you're either twisting shit to fit your narrative or talking about something you have no idea about.

Anna wrote:Multiplayer is done. Let me make that clear.
Um. No. Its not done. It needs lots of testing, bugfixing and some additional coding. Only the basics of networking are done.
Anna wrote:To the best of my knowledge, th15 and Kaelis had it working somewhere in the region of well over four months ago. From what I heard, though I could be mistaken, they had it working very well at that.
Again... not really. You make it sound as if it was basically finished. Well, it wasnt, far from it. Also, 'th15 and Kaelis' - i was working on it alone, th15 only helped with testing once or twice, less than Arcalane did, in fact. Heck, now that i think about it, ever since the beginning of CE th15 never did any real work on BSF, except some tweaks to the surfaces and of course explaining/helping with the source.

Bad Boy wrote:
InsaneCat wrote:Only thing BSF is missing is the Multiplayer. Nothing will bring ppl to bsf than Multi.
Yes, the only thing it's missing is multiplayer, oh and a complete camgaign, a decent encounter maker, some more terrain options in sandbox/encounter maker - there's only so much you can do with what we've got
I know its a bit cruel of me to say this now, but back when i was working on multiplayer, i was also doing some stuff in the general direction of lua scripting for encounters...
jwa8402 wrote:Though theres lots of issues like Badboy mentioned, InsaneCat is right that multiplayer would do more to bring people in than any other feature.
Yeah, couldnt agree more. Its the sole reason i started coding multiplayer - to pour some life into BSF.

Bad Boy wrote:But seriously though, I'm a little saddened by this and that no one else seems particularly outraged about this, cause it's pretty (really super) fucking retarded.
Now hold on there, do you think im happy about this? I spent around two months out of work just to code the multiplayer, not to mention all the other stuff ive added to BSF. Sure, its th15's game, but with the beginning of CE it was my baby, too. So, yeah, its outrageous, retarded etc and i was pretty angry too when it was clear that shit hit the fan, but theres just not much i can do about it, not to mention that i sure as hell am not gonna work with someone who treats me like shit. Plus, right now, i cannot afford to spend time on hobby projects.
Bad Boy wrote:Four months and neither party's gotten over shit on the internet? Jesus...
Oh, i got over alright. If i didnt, id be starting a rebellion or something.
Bad Boy wrote:What I mind is that it's almost done, but isn't being finished cause they had a, as it was so wonderfuly phrased by Anna, "lover's quarrel".
Err, i know im biased, but for what its worth - the info Anna is giving you is not accurate, so better not base your judgement on that.
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Umm, just curious, but what is this CE you guys keep mentioning?
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

CE = Custom/Community/(Some other clever name I don't quite remember) Edition, i.e. the version that was no longer solely th15's work.

When th15 went to serve his mandatory military service, a few senior members got bored and decided to take matters into their own hands. Allegedly a third-party company is/was producing a BSF2, but that's just hearsay on my part. Confirm/Deny?
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
TheBuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by TheBuilder »

Oooooohhhhh, that does make this all make a lot more sense., thanks.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

My goal is to build the most epic thing possible, PERIOD.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."
Son Tzu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Son Tzu »

@vidboi
Got a 64 x2 myself, stupid BIOS doesn't allow overclocking. You could try bigger RAM/dual channel setup. Seriously dude, you can't even load your ship it's that big? You need to go see your doctor I think, help is out there :lol:
If your balancing system is ready to roll, I'd be quite willing to help you or anyone else organise a tournament.
Don't worry chaps, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist

Some people spread happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I am actually thrilled to see a multiplayer feature being added, since previously, I had no knowledge of it. I will do whatever I can (and what my life permits) to help put this into action. You know, finishing the storyline could be a start.

Perhaps getting a third party involved might settle this whole "debate"? In fact, I could find some significantly skilled coders on Reflect. However, my ideas tend to have lots of holes in them at first...
naysayers will be shot
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Hey sorry kae, I misjudged based on the information I had, please accept my apologies.
When you put it that way, it seems you're just a wee bit irritated with this shit too, which makes me feel a bit better :)

As for lua encounters, I cannot actually express (with regular words or even emoticon spam, ALL CAPS and poor spelling) how happy that would make me. I've been teaching myself lua for a while for Cortex Command (missions as it so happens) and I would happily cry tears of solid gold or polyester or any other substance if it would help in the slightest. Even if multiplayer doesn't happen, that would absolutely make my day, week, and probably several months.

And if not, thanks kae for trying to do something with this game. It's a shame to let what was once a rising indie game with a (still) great concept and fun gameplay wither away into obscurity with no fans left but a few (mainly lurking) diehards who are pretty much sick of it.

Oh and
Kaelis wrote:Plus, right now, i cannot afford to spend time on hobby projects.
No matter what happens, don't worry about that, real life of course comes first by a mile and a half. And as I said before, waiting with the knowledge that something's happening is quite fine, so if by some christmas miracle this were to be sorted out (preferably before christmas though), don't feel the need or expectation to force yourself to work on it when you've got more pressing things.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

vidboi wrote:
Arcalane wrote:
vidboi wrote:i think that the meta 2 would have helped a lot with that, but it's almost grinded to a halt right now.
We have a private development area in which things are coming along slowly. RL has been problematic.
hmmm, if you would like more help i'd be willing to step onboard.
Being part of the development team means you're not allowed to join the game proper, for obvious reasons. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly.

~~

Also, Kae, I thought we'd mostly finished bughunting, or at the very least we'd done some decent work on fixing the desynching?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
InsaneCat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InsaneCat »

You keep speaking of encounter maker... and i keep dreaming of Starcraft and Warcraft like Editor for BSF.

Ahhh sweet dreams. :lol:
"Though I charge through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am driving a house-sized mass of "fuck you."
"HURRR?"
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Thanks for the kind words Bad Boy, appreciated.
Normandy wrote:When th15 went to serve his mandatory military service, a few senior members got bored and decided to take matters into their own hands.
From what i can remember, back when it began it was just me (maybe +Arc, don't remember if he joined immediately or a bit later) and i/we got explicit permission from th15.
Arcalane wrote:Also, Kae, I thought we'd mostly finished bughunting, or at the very least we'd done some decent work on fixing the desynching?
We did some decent work, yes, but its not finished.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

If what I said was not the truth, then it's your own fault, I got all my information on this from you, Kaelis, and everything you had ever said to me implied that it was pretty much done. You're also the one who told me that the coming multiplayer was the reason for the change in attitude, and I'm fairly certain I have Skype logs to back that up.

And you can't deny you're a wonderful anti-social jerk. :P

And are you denying that the reason we haven't seen any progress on the BSF front is because of your little tiff with th15? That's the excuse you gave me a few months back, alongside the other obvious ones like you being busy with work, which are things I can understand.

So basically, if I misrepresented things, it's because you misrepresented things to me.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I predict the new development will be ready in no more than Two Weeks™

@insanecat: I recently saw a mod for WC3 that made it look like Star Trek Aramada, so maybe the solution is to go make hestias and such in that game :lol: