Beauty Pageant Revival Questions

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Beauty Pageant Revival Questions

Post by Anna »

Okay, so some of you might remember the Beauty Pageant, and some of you might not.

Newer members might only know about it thanks to ArcaneDude's travesty, but I digress.

I am thinking of starting a new one, scrapping all the old categories and introducing three new ones. These new categories would be as follows.

Limited Stock: Download a new copy of BSF. Install it or extract it somewhere new. The only thing you can use for ships submitted to this category are the sprites that come with the game. Anything that comes in BSFs Custom sprites folder can be used, but nothing else.

Limited Hotness: Okay, I probably wouldn't stick with this name, but section usage would be limited to:
  • kae_shn
  • DST-sw
  • DST-swnc
  • HorseMonster_DetailedWeapons
  • HorseMonster_Realistic
  • HorseMonster_RobotBits
  • HorseMonster_RocketBits
  • SS_Prosectionax
Custom Glows, Doodads and Weapon Projectiles would be allowed, but otherwise you'd be limited to the sections above for entries into this category.

And finally

Freeform: Few (if any) restrictions on section usage. Pretty much a free-for-all do whatever you can with whatever sections you can sort of deal.

So, I'd like to receive people's input on these new, planned categories, and feedback on whether people would be interested in competing (or judging).
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Beauty Pageant Revival Questions

Post by jwa8402 »

Well the stock category is worthwhile mostly for how many new members seem reluctant to do anything else. Might even see something relatively cool though, who knows. The Limited hotness could be interesting, but then I haven't delved into the new shiny pieces yet. Don't know if transforming deserves its' own category seeing how only a few people do it right, but maybe it could fit in there. I wouldn't mind seeing a fan ship category but then thats just where my interests lay right now. In any case, glad you decided to do this again. I'd definitely participate, as its always a learning experience.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

would you be allowed to create your own sprites for the freeform category?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna

Post by Anna »

Yes.

I'm thinking of including Kaelis' SWA sprites in the Hotness Category as well, but I'm not sure about it. Ignore that.

What's the general consensus on Fanships? Should they have their own category, or should people be allowed to submit them to any appropriate category?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i'd say lump them in with the rest, seeing as i doubt they'll be that many to fill a whole category by themselves...
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

*enters the room quietly hoping not to get shot*

I'd like to become a competitor. I may get my butt kicked by the others on this forum in competition, but I always wanted to ask if someone could do another contest.

The groups you have created are awesome in my opinion, I mean I could actually create a ship for all of them (warning: they may not be amazing but I'll try.)

...I think I've learned my lesson with the new sections...
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Anna wrote:What's the general consensus on Fanships? Should they have their own category, or should people be allowed to submit them to any appropriate category?
Seems like they'd fit best in Freeform.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Those categories seem sound to me Seraph. I'd personally like to see another BP and it would also be interesting to find out what all the current fine shipbuilders would create with stock sections. Do you have any overhauling plans for the judging process as well?
Anna

Post by Anna »

Exethalion wrote:Those categories seem sound to me Seraph. I'd personally like to see another BP and it would also be interesting to find out what all the current fine shipbuilders would create with stock sections. Do you have any overhauling plans for the judging process as well?
I have plans on reworking and more clearly defining the different scoring, and I probably won't include points for backstories, because... well... it is meant to be about making ships, not writing.

On the other hand, giving points for stories encouraged people to be a bit more creative, so I'm still not 100% on that yet.

Thanks to everyone who posted in the thread so far.

To everyone else: This thread serves two purposes. 1) For me to get feedback on these ideas. 2) To find out how many people are interested in/wish to participate in the BP.

If I don't think there are enough interested participants, I won't bother, because running the BP and setting it up is a fair bit of trouble to go through if hardly anyone cares. So if you're reading this thread and thinking "Hey, I'd be down for that", don't just close the thread. Post. I am not a mind reader and won't know if you are interested unless you tell me.

Thank you for your time.
Quality Control Enforcer
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

I'll probably come back for the Freeform contest.

The "Limited Hotness" might be hard for some people to work with, as not everyone is proficient with the sections packs listed. Perhaps limit it to a number of different sections per sprite author? i.e. 20 Kaelis sprites, 15 TSA sprites, 10 Horsemonster sprites, etc. Or simply 20/15/10.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

*disengages lurk shield*

Well, to tell the truth, I would be very interested in something like this. I usually don't share my work (as seen by my absence of ship threads), but this seems like a fun idea. The Limited Hotness section would probably be best for me, since i am really indecisive about what parts to use. Anyhow, i think it will be great. Y'all have my approval (not that you need it ;).

*reengages lurk shield*
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Definately a good idea, and the categories seem solid. Would be up for submitting something into this, haven't played with stock for a while could be fun.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

I definitely want to take part in the BP, it gives some real incentives for shipbuilding!
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

It sure as hell makes me want to start shipbuilding again, would be interesting to see what others come up with.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

how many entries would be allowed per person? would it one per class, one overall or something else entirely?