Wanting to start a tournament.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Wanting to start a tournament.

Post by Salvofire »

Good to see you all again. I've been a long time lurker and have occasionally posted a ship here and there. I have always been big into designing and strategy, thus I come to you.

I would like to start a tournament for BSF. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate a suitable rule set. At least, not as far as I'm concerned. That's where you guys come in. It would be amazing if we could collaborate and come up with an acceptable set of rules in order to contruct a fair, easy get into tournament.

EDIT:

Rules:
I have decided to use the Metagame 2.0 ship building rules for this tournament.
You may find the rules here.
And the calculator to help out can be found [url=http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php]here[/url]

A few additional rules:

- Weapons may not be modified beyond what the given stats are.

- Obviously parenting must be logical.

- You may use any sprites available, although I would prefer shipwright sections so everything looks better.

- Your fleet may not contain any ships that take up more than 25% of your total used mass.

- You may mount a maximum of two point defenses. Aka one flak cannon and one point beam, or two flak, etc..

- I stand by the core placement stated in the meta game rules, although I will be more lenient. Slight movement towards the front and back of ship is acceptable. Anything more than a quarter of your ships length is definitely cheating however and I will disqualify you.

How will the Tournament take place?
Sadly, my computer is complete shit. So, unfortunately, the only way I can show you the results is through screen shots. I'll do my best to make this interesting and provide a story of some kind.

The tournament will be played as a series of matches between all players. If I manage to get enough people interested we may switch to a ladder-like system. Each match will consist of five rounds. The rounds are as follows:

1. Aesthetics/Backstory All fleets entered must have a back story to go along with them. This can be as long as you like, although I would prefer less than a page. The best/most interesting back story combined with best aesthetics wins.

3. One on One: This will be a one on one ship battle with equal used mass. Mass has yet to be decided. Let me know your suggestions. I'll play around a little bit myself.

4. Fleet Battle: This is a full fleet battle between the two competitors. They will start on opposite sides of the map arranged however the fleet designer chooses. 'Nuff said.

The competitor with the most individual wins, wins the match. The competitor with the most match wins is the the winner of the tournament.

Additional Armory:
Spoiler!
Heavy Machine Cannon
Base weapon: gat blaster

Turning: 1
Deviation: 10
Range: 800
Damage: 30
Arc Range: 50
Fire Rate: 4
Clipsize: 8
Reload: 180
Bullet Speed: 15
Burst: 1

Mass: 300
Power: 30

High Intensity Laser
Turning 2
Deviation: 0.2
Range: 1200
Damage: 10
Arc range: 50
Fire rate: 0
Clipsize: 1
Reload: 300
Beam Duration: 70
Init. Deviation: 2
burst: default

Mass:500
Power: 180

Drone Bay

Range: 700
Damage: 9
Fire rate: 5
Clipsize: 2
Reload: 120
Bulletspeed: 8
Demeter Reload:14
Interceptablility: 0.24
Lifetime: def
HItpoints: 160

Mass: 380
Power: 90

Extreme Range Laser Deployment Array ERLDA
Base weapon: teller
HP: 160
Range: 1400
bullet speed: 16
damage: 10
duration: 60

Mass: 800
Power: 60

Torpedo launcher
Base weapon: torpedo
turning: 0.6
deviation: 0
range: 3000
damage: 100
arcrange : 45
reload: 250
bullet speed: 10
turnspeed: 0.5
exposion size: 100

Mass: 840
Power: 60

Current Judges:

Salvofire
Starstruck

Current Competitors:
Icy

EDIT 2:

Test ship is now up. I would prefer if we all use the same ship to test any weapons. I found the easiest way is to create a weapon as the power being the bar to set for how many should be a on a craft. Then use the mass to even out power.

I feel like I'm talking to myself...
Attachments
Test ship.sb4
I managed to throw together a test ship for us. I'm a little new to the whole Shipwright section thing so if I fucked up the folders let me know.

It's nothing amazing but hey, it provides a solid baseline to begin balancing around.
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Last edited by Salvofire on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Re: Wanting to start a tournament.

Post by Imaillusion »

You have to understand that these sort of things take a lot of effort and organisation. You would need to put in place more detailed rules and regulations (so you're right about asking for help), or the whole thing's going to become a mess. Ask yourself whether you're really prepared to do this before commiting yourself
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Couldn't we just use the 2nd metagame ruleset if you decide to go through with this?

There's already a wonderful little calculator for it, and it would be good practice for the whole board. You'd just have to stat up a few extra items lest it get insipid.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Salvofire wrote:Number three is a pure atheistic judging contest.
I think you mean aesthetic. :?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I dunno man. An atheistic judging contest could be pretty awesome. Which ship is the least godly? :lol:
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Arcalane wrote:
Salvofire wrote:Number three is a pure atheistic judging contest.
I think you mean aesthetic. :?
lol, my mistake. Curse my reliance on spell checker. Interesting pun built in there, however.

As for the rest of you. I am pretty committed. Designing rules and balancing things really does give me a sense of accomplishment. It happens to be one of my nerdiest qualities but gives me quite a bit of joy.

Now as for using the metagame rules. I skimmed over them briefly but I did like what I saw quite a bit. How does one calculate the actual size of their vessel though? Is there something in ship maker that I'm missing?
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Salvofire wrote:How does one calculate the actual size of their vessel though? Is there something in ship maker that I'm missing?
Oh yes there is.

You square that value to get your ship's mass allowance.
Ixranin
Captain
Captain

Post by Ixranin »

Does the 2nd metagame ruleset include any weapons besides the basic cannons+missiles+lasers? If I'm reading [url=http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php]this calculator[/url] correctly, then it's going to need a lot of work to balance and include all the other weapons and modules.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/IxraninEL/Screenies/AsiSig1.gif[/img]
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Thank you Starstruck. I'm not sure how I managed to miss that.

Anyways, I've decided to use the metagame 2.0 ship building rules. My first post will be updated soon. Now, there are a few things that need attention.

Obviously as of right now, there is very little variety in the armaments available. I need anyone who is interested in this to help me make some more. I'll begin testing tonight and try to cook up some new weapons. Also, as of right now no deflectors and no aegis. I'll post a test ship of some kind shortly we can use as a baseline for weapons testing, to keep everything standard and even.

I also need some people willing to contribute their services as judges for the back story and aesthetic contests.

Finally I would like a head count of whoever is remotely interested.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Maybe I'll help out with judging, even if I only build ships once in a blue moon nowadays.

I'd suggest you combine the aesthetics and backstory contests into a single event (in the style of the last beauty pageant) if you really want an odd number of rounds.

Or drop the aesthetics rounds entirely and turn it into a combat-only tournament with two categories. Anna runs the beauty pageants anyway.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Ok, just gonna pipe in here, I've participated in the tournaments of old and many of the 1v1's degenerated into endless shipdancing where neither was able to kill the other. (whether they simply couldn't keep damage up with the auto-regen, or their shots missed entirely). You probably want a higher firepower to armor/speed ratio to not have these stalemates. Even if you don't it'd be good to have a tiebreaker system fleshed out beforehand.

I also don't really like the Meta2.0 core/size system for tournaments, it severely limits the ability to make stuff like bait ships (or other innovative designs), since you're going by the size of the ship. I recall some of the more successful designs didn't even look like ships, but were basically a bunch of sections placed in a way to best abuse the engine. I feel that that should be encouraged, not discouraged. I guess it may move it away from "spam as many as one type of weapon as your point cost allows", but really, it seems more restrictive than necessary given that this is a tournament, and not a metagame in a set universe. Also, going merely by size and not number of sections means that people can spam little tiny sections all over as ablative armor. If you impose the "use common sense" rule, that kinda goes against the current of what tournaments are supposed to be, in my opinion at least - something with rigid, structured rules where you try and push the boundaries as much as possible. There's no need for this one to be exactly like the tournaments of old, but damn, I miss that atmosphere.

Just my $0.02.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Droid wrote:*bluhbluh*

Just my $0.02.
So you're saying you don't like that it's possible for combats to deadlock, but you like why it happened, or why it's possible for that to happen. The reason those deadlocks occurred was because of people exploiting the engine's capabilities.

You are such a silly person, Droid. Also if you actually bothered to look at testships/etc. you'd see that your complaints are... well, just see below:

As for meta2 rules; fair warning, the HP/firepower is such that fights will be over very quickly. I would recommend avoiding them, simply because fights will be very short, very bloody, and quite possibly very onesided.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I never said I didn't like the deadlocks happening.
I just stated that it happened quite a bit in the past and having contingencies in place for them wouldn't hurt.

Also, there's the issue with the meta2.0 rules that there are like...8 weapons, many of which are just bigger/smaller versions of each one. Sure, a lot of the old tournaments devolved into spamming masses of one weapon anyway, at least there was by choice. It'd take quite some work to get into something for a tournament, since the ruleset is supposed to allow development of new weapons as the game progresses along, not having a big arsenal to choose from in the beginning.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

A degree of ships-looking-like-ships should still be enforced, though. That can curb a lot of the abusive tactics that lead to deadlocks right there.

--
Also, going merely by size and not number of sections means that people can spam little tiny sections all over as ablative armor.
Yet using meta2 rules, these sections will have hardly any health. Have you actually bothered to look at how the rules work? You don't set a core HP and leave it at that.

Spamming a large amount of low-health sections would have dire consequences, whether or not you use non-meta/MIRV builds. Can you say "hull shock" and "stun lock"? I think you can.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Arcalane wrote:A degree of ships-looking-like-ships should still be enforced, though. That can curb a lot of the abusive tactics that lead to deadlocks right there.
But that would take all the fun out of it.
If I wanted ships looking like ships, I'd just make ships D: