Wanting to start a tournament.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Re: Wanting to start a tournament.

Post by Salvofire »

Droid wrote: But that would take all the fun out of it.
If I wanted ships looking like ships, I'd just make ships D:
Well I wouldn't kick you out if you made something reasonable at all. If you made a gigantic rod with fifty auto-cannons on it, yeah, that's stupid ,your disqualified.
Arcalane wrote: As for meta2 rules; fair warning, the HP/firepower is such that fights will be over very quickly. I would recommend avoiding them, simply because fights will be very short, very bloody, and quite possibly very onesided.
I like it that way to be honest. I don't want to wait around for an hour to see who won. Not to mention, I feel as if quick and deadly battles are more strategic. If one side wins overwhelmingly then they must have done something right.

Really I feel as if you guys are over thinking it. There are hard counters to pretty much every weapon in the game (minus beams but those shall be a bit below average). It's the designers own damn fault if they decide not to put enough into health or PD or maneuverability.

As far as the chronic toilet bowl of death, I feel as if that is a designers flaw. The way I'm trying to work it, there will be plenty of homing weapons available. Once again, if you don't have any weapons facing side arcs or don't have any homing, or don't have any barrage weapons, it's your own fault.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Its not that the weapons don't have enough fire arc, its the AI being dumb.
They don't know how to lead their shots.
It makes me a sad panda.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I meant to post this a while back, but I've been busy and left it hanging around in one of the far too many tabs I keep open, so I'm posting it now instead.
As I recall, much of the deadlock in 1v1 was because of flanking ai and the ai's inability to aim ahead. If you avoid flanking ai, deadlocks probably won't happen, or at least will end sooner.
I've got to agree though with Droid about innovative ship design being a good part of tourneys (previous page). Sure, it has its flaws, in that a brick jampacked with weapons was often the best way to go, but it can also lead to some interesting things, and with some more rules and common sense you can probably avoid the outright ridiculous while still having some creativity.
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

How and when do we sign up for this tournament? I may be rather inexperienced in terms of skills, but this could be fun and it would help me become more involved.

Just to clarify, are the weapons supposed to be at the metagame stats or the stock stats? (sorry for being noobish)
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Icy wrote:How and when do we sign up for this tournament? I may be rather inexperienced in terms of skills, but this could be fun and it would help me become more involved.

Just to clarify, are the weapons supposed to be at the metagame stats or the stock stats? (sorry for being noobish)
That right here is enough! Thanks for the interest, it makes me happy someone is showing that they care. Any help you could give for balancing weapons would be very much appreciated.

As for the stats, all weapons will be using custom stats laid out by me. Some of which are already done by the metagame ruleset.
Bad Boy wrote:I've got to agree though with Droid about innovative ship design being a good part of tourneys (previous page). Sure, it has its flaws, in that a brick jampacked with weapons was often the best way to go, but it can also lead to some interesting things, and with some more rules and common sense you can probably avoid the outright ridiculous while still having some creativity.
Most definitely. That's why I chose this system. It is restrictive enough to encourage competitive play, but free enough that you can build practically anything you want.
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

What size ships are you expecting, or will they be divided up into size classes?
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Well everything you make will be based off of used mass. So technically you can make a gigantic ship but each section would have very little hp. It's up to you how you would like to use that mass.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Salvofire wrote:Well everything you make will be based off of used mass. So technically you can make a gigantic ship but each section would have very little hp. It's up to you how you would like to use that mass.
Actually a really large ship would have a lot of MA to spend on health and weapons. It depends on how you design it. But big ships will be at a serious deficit since the current meta2 design rules aren't meant to support them yet. We do have plans for bigger ships, but those involve players wanting to make bigger ships and bothering to spend time researching stuff.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Droid wrote:Its not that the weapons don't have enough fire arc, its the AI being dumb.
They don't know how to lead their shots.
It makes me a sad panda.
I did implement it at once point but the calculations were too costly for all the turrets to run it. The interceptor turrets still do it when shooting down bullets (otherwise they would be pretty silly).
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Regardless, I think it will work. Like I said there are ways around the whole not tracking thing.

Anyways, new weapons are up now. I still need anyone that can help to try and perfect the balance and work out more.
Salvofire
Commander
Commander

Post by Salvofire »

Well, since there is a major lack of interest and I"ve yet to have any help tweaking the system, I've decided to cancel. I just have a lot of things going on right now and if only one or two people are going to participate, it's just not worth it.