Sabot Cannon Bug

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Rahnzan
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Sabot Cannon Bug

Post by Rahnzan »

The Sabot Cannon only does damage to the core part with its explosion, the actual round does nothing to it. I've tested this by editing base damage, damage per hit, explosive damage, and explosion radius with some careful aiming. Setting the base damage to 100, damage per hit to 100, and the explosion damage to zero makes the problem I describe very apparent. This problem makes it a bit frustrating when one ship completely obliterates another ship, but the core is left floating there and cannot be damaged. The Sabot Cannon works perfectly fine on non-core parts.

I'm using v0.90c. I apologize if this has already been discussed but I searched everywhere and both bug threads are locked.
What's this say? Ensign? ... OH GOD I'M A RED-SHIRT!
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sabot Cannon Bug

Post by ArcaneDude »

The current version is 0.90d. You'll want to update first, then see if the error persists.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Rahnzan
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Rahnzan »

Oh no...

Are my ships going to need to be remade again?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Unlikely. .90d was only a minor bugfix. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with ships.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Rahnzan
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Rahnzan »

Updated to 90d. The problem still persists, base sabot damage does not affect the core. Goes right through it.
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

What speed did you set the sabotcannon's bullets to fly?
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Goes right through it.
Howso? Does the shot pass clean through the core as if it were a section? That's normal behaviour last I checked; the entire stream dumping damage into the core was removed for balance reasons, or possibly because it was buggy. Railgun-type weapons are inherently ineffective against lone sections or small, low-density ships.

Whilst I have no idea what the cause of the bug is (though I do want to know whether or not it's shared with the standard Railgun, of which the Sabot Cannon is just an elaborate modification) I also feel that now is as good a time as ever to point out that there are around 40 different weapons at your disposal. Use more than just Sabot Cannons!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The railgun used to dump all damage into the core if it hit it. I do believe I took that out because it was silly in any context (customized or otherwise).
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Rahnzan
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Rahnzan »

@Icy, I did not edit the speed.

I realize that there are 40 other weaons, but I was modding an impact laser for surface explosions (enemy weapon clearing) and noticed the issue when the ship blew apart but the core remained. I left to go get a snack and came back to find the thing still alive after 5 minutes of shooting. I thought it was a bug brought about by fiddling with the gun, but the basic unedited weapon does the same thing.

@th15, If I just use the basic Sabot and fight a lone core, the shot passes through doing zero damage. I can understand doing maximum damage for a per hit weapon would be broken, but If I have a 100 damage shot that deposites say, 35 damage per hit, shouldn't the core take 35 damage as the round passes through instead of none at all?

If I set the sabot cannon to explode on contact (set damage per hit to maximum base damage. In the case of my previous example set it to 100), as I understand it, the sabot should hit the core, deposite all of it's base damage, and then the explosion goes off to deal more. Instead it passes right through.

I know you guys are busy and deal with this game only in your spare time, but when you can, make an attacking ship with the basic sabot cannon and make another ship with a single part placed well away from the core to fight. Target the core with the attacking ship, and if this bug isn't just me, you'll see what I mean. Shouldn't the unedited Sabot Gun at least do 15 damage to the core as it passes through?