Effective DPS Calculator - Weapon MASS and POWER

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Effective DPS Calculator - Weapon MASS and POWER

Post by vidboi »

Well, some of you may remember a while ago on the meta 2 ship design thread that i posted some ideas for a way of easily comparing the stats of almost any custom weapons. i have since dabbled with it a bit more and made it more balanced, adherent to the game and reliable for any explosive, missile, beam or simple projectile weapon. so, without further explanation (which would take up a lot of space) here are my titillated formulae:
DPScalc1.png
unlike a standard dps calculator it factors in how good a weapon is at hitting it's target (as compared to a range 1000, 0 dev, 180 arc beamer). hopefully this will be useful for a lot of large fleets that need balancing (eg jwa's starwreck fleet). here is a handy excel document where you simply input all the fields and it gives you an effective dps number. (note: input bullet speed for beamers as 1, it's got a trigger to handle that)

UPDATED SPREADSHEET WITH MASS AND POWER (includes metagame weapon stats)

UPDATE: i've been working on a new set of torunament rules which allow for a greater degree of freedom for competitors. one of the main things i wanted to introduce was custom weapon stats, and so i've modified the previous calculator to output in mass and power values, and also so that it a. suits the style of competition better and b. has anti-powergaming protocols ^^
Last edited by vidboi on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Re: Effective DPS Calculator

Post by Rugdumph »

Oh this looks very handy, much easier than just guess work by fighting all the different combinations, which is why I gave up on making fleets which they never really worked...good job!
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Retsof
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Retsof »

This will come in very handy if I ever get my fleet going. How hard would it be to make a version for point defense and missiles as well?
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

missiles work already, i've worked out the relationship between turn speed, bullet speed and range and it's been factored into the effectiveness calculation. point defence is rather more difficult though, as they function very differently to normal weapons. hopefully in the future it may be possible, but personally i don't really like pd anyway :lol:
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

In the fourth term of the effectiveness equation, in the deepest parentheses, there is an "S" with no subscript. What does is represent?
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

oh, that's meant to be bullet speed (Sb) i must of missed that out when i neatened it all up

ed: i've updated the first post and corrected the error, thanks for pointing it out!
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

been playing around with the weapon balancing spreadsheet and realised that excel uses radians not degrees *facepalm* i've corrected it now, and better balanced explosive damage. also included are the effective dps stats of all the metagame weapons except the drones
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

I have no interest in the metagame... but... I have to know, vid, how did you figure this formula? This is just crazy sauce. :P It's... like... the epicness of math embodied...
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

haha it's not tht epic, i just made an addition to the standard dps formula to integrate the average explosive damage (i could explain it, but the last time i wrote it down it took up an entire page =/ ) and i just factored in all the cahnges to effectiveness as values close to 1. that means that they all have a very slight change individually, but together can be quite dramatic. it's a kind of comparison to the hit chance of a range 1000 beamer, although it's not really probability of a hit, as that would take lots and lots of research...

basically i just looked at hoe the weapons worked in the game and tried to convert the effects of changing each value into a mathematical formula ^^ the complicated bit is when i start using linear programming to maximise dps =3
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Re: Effective DPS Calculator - Weapon MASS and POWER

Post by vidboi »

updated with a weapon mass and power calculator
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Re: Effective DPS Calculator - Weapon MASS and POWER

Post by vidboi »

even more updates, mainly to reduce the power consumption of high speed rotation turrets and stationary weapons