Guess What I Just Coded

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Guess What I Just Coded

Post by Arcalane »

:D
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Guess What I Just Coded

Post by Chiiro »

Splendid
Keep up the good work. :'D
Also does the tracking work?
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

On the carrier-missile or the sub-missiles? Yeah, it works on both of them. The carrier-missile feeds it's target information to the sub-missiles. No splitting off to attack multiple targets, sorry.

Of course, how well it works is entirely up to how you set the missile's tracking abilities and scattering behaviour!

As you can see, a high scatter and low submissile tracking ability results in poor strikes against a single target, but the damage is spread out over a larger area. That'll be more important when you see the upgraded version.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

MIRV.

FUK YAS
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

just what i need for my Jericho missile platform :)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Very nice. Very, very nice.

So how's it work, what's changeable? Specifically, can the range before detonation be set? Can the sub-munitions have a different turn rate than the big missile? And do they explode (this one looks like a no, but it's still worth asking, if only in the hopes that there'll be a variant that does)?

Either way, awesome, and it's always lovely to see new stuff. Thanks.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

very nice. as Bad Boy said, it would be nice if you could set the tracking speed separately so you could create missiles releasing cluster bomblets or vice versa.

also two other things involving coding that are kind of related:
a) is there any way of solving the range issues with HV missiles (for me, changing the speed changes the range they detonate at)
b) is there any way of making missiles aqquire a new target if their original is destroyed (although i guess this would require quite a bit of coding and processing power in game)
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Bad Boy wrote:Very nice. Very, very nice.

So how's it work, what's changeable? Specifically, can the range before detonation be set? Can the sub-munitions have a different turn rate than the big missile? And do they explode (this one looks like a no, but it's still worth asking, if only in the hopes that there'll be a variant that does)?

Either way, awesome, and it's always lovely to see new stuff. Thanks.
The MIRV main missiles support the following customizable statistics, alongside the usual specs:
Burst (you should know this one by now)
Tracking (bluh bluh homing speed)
Launch Arc (you know this one, too)
Detonation Range (once the missile's range to target is less than this number, it will split apart)

And, thanks to a little guidance from Kaelis, the submunition missiles support the following customizable statistics:
Quantity (# of submissiles launched on missile breakup)
Tracking (rate at which submissiles turn/track)
Scatter (maximum deviation in ° to left/right of the front of the carriermissile that the submissiles are launched, like autocannon subs)
Speed (initial launch speed, which is randomly adjusted by +/- 0 to 2)
Lifetime (submissile lifetime in frames)
Damage (independent damage from the carriermissile - no need to set the launcher damage really high)
Interceptability (...self explanatory, no?)
Blast Radius (only used on the mininuke variant)
Acceleration (optional, on ED2 page, determines acceleration per three frames)
Maximum Speed (optional, on ED2 page, determines maximum speed)

Naturally, custom sprites are fully supported for both the main missile and submunition, so you can go nuts with those and make them look like little bomblets if you really want to.

~~
vidboi wrote:very nice. as Bad Boy said, it would be nice if you could set the tracking speed separately so you could create missiles releasing cluster bomblets or vice versa.
There are certainly plenty of possibilities right now. The Nuclear MIRV can be used to make a nuclear bomblet launcher, yes, if you mean a missile that launches out a bunch of explosive submunitions in all directions. You could also make a simple two-stage missile that releases a single submissile with no deviation and a low split range, designed to bypass PD systems like pointbeams. You can make a simple "shotgun" missile that launches a half dozen or so fast-moving, unguided submunitions out in front when it detonates, and so on and so forth.

But right now I think the MIRV's the greatest non-beam weapon for use against Impeders, especially since the missiles launch at full speed regardless of the carrier missile's speed.
vidboi wrote:also two other things involving coding that are kind of related:
a) is there any way of solving the range issues with HV missiles (for me, changing the speed changes the range they detonate at)
b) is there any way of making missiles aqquire a new target if their original is destroyed (although i guess this would require quite a bit of coding and processing power in game)
Probably, but neither of these are involved in this project. ;) The latter has been discussed many times and is probably more effort than it's worth - the missile would need to store a list of targets and pick a new one when it loses it's existing one.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

the mininuke variant
so how many variants are there?
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Just the two. The conventional MIRV launches normal submunition missiles, the nuclear MIRV launches submunitions that have an area-effect explosion on death, and deal additional impact damage unlike most area-of-effect explosives.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ