Weapon Depthing Woes

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Weapon Depthing Woes

Post by Areze »

So I was tinkering with my Kukha, and when I loaded it up in the game, none of the torp tubes were layered as they should have. They sat on the top of the ship like they would have had I not expressly hit the depthing key for each of them. Messing with it fixed that first issue, but brought on another one that has been irking me for a while.

The weapons on half the ship are invisible. My guess is that for some insane reason the game decided to bump them down below their relevant sections. It appears fine in the ship maker, but in game it's becoming to be an issue as a good deal of my ships are doing this. They still fire fine, and the arcs show up when I hit 'V', so I'm guessing it's that.

I've tried remirroring each of them several times. I've deleted the weapons on one half and mirrored them the old-fashioned way. I'm out of ideas. Is this a bug,or did I just drop the ball somewhere?

Lastly, even though it seems fixed,for the moment, is there any reason that for a while the torpedoes did literally no damage to shields, despite the shields being sections by any other name?

EDIT: Here is a screenie.

Preacher
Captain
Captain

Re: Weapon Depthing Woes

Post by Preacher »

this happens to me when i mirror depthed weapons. If i depth the weapons after they are mirrored this doesn't happen but im sure there is a better way

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

As far as I know, there is no better way. That's just one of the quirks still in ShipMaker.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

It's possible that the sections are off by a miniscule amount, and thus mirrored over twice on each side. Have you tried deleting half the ship, undephthing everything, remirroring, then depthing?

Also, can you attach the .sb4 so we can have a look at it?
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Do this:

1. Save ship

2. Exit shipmaker

3. Load shipmaker

4. Open ship

5. Double check everything shows up correctly.

6. Load into sandbox

Sometimes the shipmaker gets stuck in some stupid rut and refuses to save SHP files correctly while carrying out sb4 saves fine.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
Areze
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Areze »

Okay, the weapons appear as normal now. However, it turns out that the torpedo thing remains. It seems torpedoes just don't hurt shields for some reason. I'll go and make some test ships to investigate, but I had to give the Kukha an edited railgun just to let the thing stand a chance against virtually anything.

EDIT:
Also, I'd just point out that the regular missiles that have been in since forever don't do this.I have not checked EMPs, so I don't know if they would either, but I can confirm that the vanilla missile tube behaves normally as shields are concerned.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

What do you mean by 'shields'? Do you mean section-based "bubble" shields? If so, I think I know why that might be.

It's a bit of a long story, but for now consider it a 'bonus' of using shields, since Torpedoes no longer do extra damage to the section they impact. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ