Opensource Multiplayer BSF

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Tourresh
Ensign
Ensign

Opensource Multiplayer BSF

Post by Tourresh »

So I was testing out some multiplayer code I was working on and I realized it would be very easy to test the code out by making a crude remake of BSF.

After a few hours I made this:

Full physics and hit detection, super smooth multiplayer responsiveness, BSF style mouse control, and ships can be made from modular pieces. Not bad for a few hours.

If I can do that in a few hours I could probably recreate most of BSF and possibly even add on some of the features from the requests thread.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Opensource Multiplayer BSF

Post by Anna »

And then you'd totally be in violation of th15's copyright, under the Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License, unless you had the express permission of th15, and he would be well within his right to take legal action were you to release a deliberately Derivative Work. I am locking your initial post of this thread to prevent you from editing it and destroying evidence. Now, if you wish to discuss your creation and its relation to BSF further, perhaps you should contact Kaelis or th15 and get their thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: Hm, after looking over the Creative Commons Copyright, I'm not actually sure this would be a violation of it, though it's probably still a good idea to get th15's feedback before you go duplicating his intellectual property
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

I'm fairly sure this isn't a violation of No-Derivative-Works, but I do recommend talking to Kaelis or th15 ASAP, if only for organizational purposes.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Eh, if you're capable of that you really should be making your own games. Nothing's can stop you from doing a similar game but I've got my own plans for BSF.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Tourresh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tourresh »

Woah, I sure didn't expect a response that hard or fast.
Anna wrote:Hm, after looking over the Creative Commons Copyright, I'm not actually sure this would be a violation of it, though it's probably still a good idea to get th15's feedback before you go duplicating his intellectual property
I haven't released any files or started up any websites so there's no need to panic here. Notice how I posted here to test the waters. Destruction of evidence? I'm kind of offended by that.

Silver, one thing you need to learn is that the FOX style fire and brimstone method is probably the worst way to go about this. The people who are going to steal your stuff are going to steal your stuff and coming down on them like that, (especially when there's no imminent threat of release or monetary profit) is just more likely to make them release stuff out of spite and ignore you entirely. Try some sugar first.

When I release something I know that the most I can ever do is politely ask for people to properly credit me and/or respect the license. Fighting fan modding is typically ineffective,but th15's response below is far more appropriate.
th15 wrote:Eh, if you're capable of that you really should be making your own games. Nothing's can stop you from doing a similar game but I've got my own plans for BSF.
As I was saying, I was testing out different forms of multiplayer code for my own unrelated game. I tried to think of the best indie games out there that were already amazing, but lacked multiplayer. In this way I was hoping I'd kill two birds with one stone; testing my multiplayer code while also fulfilling a request that's been the cause of countless locked topics.

I didn't come in here to spit in th15's house and poo poo his coding or game. Out of all the options I thought of. my first choice was BSF, beating out many other award winning games like Osmos or Notrium. I'd like th15 to take that as the highest form of compliment. I'm not here searching for fame or profit. I'm just one of the many players who has always wanted to actually take the ships he's created and battle them against other players.

If I do continue creating a game where you build sprite ships and battle them against other sprite ships I'd rather openly acknowledge the inspiration than be a little weasel pretending I came up with the whole idea myself. Let's face it. If I used my own graphics (especially not hard in this case) and made up some random name the vast majority of players would never even know about a connection to BSF, thus wrongly giving me more credit than I deserve. Considering how generic the basic premise is it wouldn't even be much of a stretch if I charged for it.

If you are really planning on selling BSF 2 or something, I could kind of see why you wouldn't want a free version that adds multiplayer detracting from sales. Otherwise, I don't really understand why there would be any reason to obstruct a fan made release.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Silver, one thing you need to learn is that the FOX style fire and brimstone method is probably the worst way to go about this. The people who are going to steal your stuff are going to steal your stuff and coming down on them like that, (especially when there's no imminent threat of release or monetary profit) is just more likely to make them release stuff out of spite and ignore you entirely. Try some sugar first.

When I release something I know that the most I can ever do is politely ask for people to properly credit me and/or respect the license. Fighting fan modding is typically ineffective,but th15's response below is far more appropriate.
Oh, to be honest, I actually don't mind this idea. I was over-reacting due to sleepiness and not thinking, so yeah, I probably was way too harsh. If you were able to actually do all the things you've talked about, creating an open-source, multiplayer, BSF-type game with all the current features and more, I'd... actually be kinda really thrilled, but despite the disagreements I have at times with th15, I'd feel uneasy if he didn't give you the okay. If he did, I'd support you 100%.

I'm jaded after dealing with many liars, thieves and intellectual dishonest bastards, and so my response was excessive. But considering I had little posting history to make an assessment from, I just went with my gut instinct. My gut instinct was wrong, and I apologise.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, am I dreaming?
Multiplayer BSF :o

Wasn't there someone that was also working on a remake of BSF a while back? (natanj was it?)
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Now this an interesting development.
Tourresh wrote:If you are really planning on selling BSF 2 or something, I could kind of see why you wouldn't want a free version that adds multiplayer detracting from sales.
See, the problem is that this might exactly be the case. And as Droid said, theres another guy already working on something like that. Ultimately its Sean's decision, of course. You should really get in direct contact (instant messaging) with us before proceeding any further, especially since there are some... other important matters that we cannot mention here.

Personally im fine with this and would be even willing to help (coding and sprites), providing that Sean is okay with it.

Now to satisfy my curiosity...

What kind of programming language are you using? Any libraries, frameworks, perhaps a ready-made engine? Or is it all made from scratch?

Whats the performance like? Did you do any benchmarks in regards to drawing thousands of sprites, particles, physics etc?

The tile says 'opensource', can you elaborte on that? How do you imagine that would work?
Tourresh wrote:Full physics and hit detection, super smooth multiplayer responsiveness, BSF style mouse control, and ships can be made from modular pieces. Not bad for a few hours.
Frankly i find it hard to believe that you coded all this in a few hours :P
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Kaelis wrote:And as Droid said, theres another guy already working on something like that.
I should note we haven't seen or heard from natan in a good few months now, so we have no idea how far he's gotten with the project.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Before anyone misunderstands anything:

I retain sole ownership of BSF as an IP. That's nobody else's business.

So tourresh, you should ignore everyone else in this thread but I'm afraid I really do have my own plans for BSF.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Tourresh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tourresh »

th15 wrote:So tourresh, you should ignore everyone else in this thread
What? Hasn't everyone else in this thread been defending your IP? I'd be giving them a pat on the back for being so concerned for you.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Because they don't represent how I feel about what you want to do. It's quite simply not theirs to defend.

I would encourage you to make games. I'm not really concerned about dealing with similar games and getting all pissy about people "copying". Nobody owns the right to make ships that are made out of individual parts. Nobody can stop you from making an RTS about spaceships.

I just think that you should make your own game rather than remaking something else, more space games wouldn't hurt at all.
Sean 'th15' Chan
Tourresh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Tourresh »

th15 wrote:Because they don't represent how I feel about what you want to do. It's quite simply not theirs to defend.
Awh, give them more credit than that. Seems everyone just said to "ask you" so it's not like they were putting words in your mouth.

I don't know if I'll be pursuing a 2D space game at this point. This was primarily just a tech demo/benchmark for me. My work on 3d component-based space games is becoming tiresome though. The heavy dependence on modelers and lag from the extra Z-Axis data keeps nudging me back to wanting to do a 2D one where I can focus more on tactics and gameplay than worrying about trying to make "pretty" graphics. Either way I'll still be looking forward to seeing BSF 2 get released.

ImageImage
new_user
DICKBUTT

Post by new_user »

Is your multiplayer BSF remake thing still alive?
If its done, can you send me a link please?
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Judging by the fact that this was over two years ago, it's probably dead.