Prevent shipmaker window from being resized

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Skull13
Captain
Captain

Prevent shipmaker window from being resized

Post by Skull13 »

The Shipmaker window, when resized, causes ugly stretching. Could you uncheck that little box please? It would help alleviate the annoying task of restarting it because I accidentally resized it.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Prevent shipmaker window from being resized

Post by Chiiro »

I think this is a problem with how Gamemaker renders the Shipmaker, and sort of an engine problem that can't really be fixed.
At least, that's what I recall hearing the last time someone brought this up, but that was a loooooong time ago.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

But you can un-check the "allow player to resize window" in the game preferences window.
Which is in GM for those who don't know.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Yeah I really hate the stretching. I would have preferred to expand my viewable area instead of the program blowing up the same viewable area to fit into a larger dimensions.

When that happens, I promptly save what I am doing and relaunch the program.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

They could technically make it so that does happen.
It is possible within the constraints of GM I believe, change the viewport as the window expands or shrinks, with a room larger than maximum window size, say 5000x5000 in size.
A little code on the step segment of a control object looking at window size and making viewport size equal that...

Mmm would probably be a bit laggy though.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Except that a lot of stuff depends on the size of the window (mainly interface) and all of it would need to be made dynamic. Too much effort to be worth it.

As for disabling stretching, if we disable it, you will be unable to resize the window at all, including maximizing, and some people like to do that. But i think an ini setting could work.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Maybe Ill sit down and write a code chunk for the window resizing later, heh Ive got all these code chunks I can't think of what to do with, like a radar system, inefficient but it works well enough.

The interface could be placed as a floating interface, where it just sets its midpoint to the midpoint of the window size on the edges, then the other images that go on top of it just go down relative to that.
Then you only have problesm with people making it too small, and another few cpu cycles being used so it would make it slightly slower... meh.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

I just said that theres code that depends on window size. How would your detached 'code chunk' change anything?
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

That can't change how the other codes depend upon the window size, but even that wouldn't be that hard to change. Or is something in there that etheric that you can't understand it enough to change it?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Again, as i said in my previous post, its too much effort to be worth it.

Next time you respond to my post, please at least read it, okay?
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

Would it be possible to lock the aspect ratio of the window when resizing? I'm not sure if GM supports that sort of thing, but I've seen other programs that do this (though they aren't maximize-able).

If not, being able to set the default SM window size in smconfig.ini would be helpful (instead of trying to eye the proportion as I resize by hand).