Is it time....?

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Is it time....?

Post by LactoseTolerant »

For another Beauty Pageant? It's been more than 3/4s of a year, and newer builders have cycled through.

Any veteran posters/builders think it's time for the 5th Beauty Pageant?

Edit: Anna hath spoken! We're done here.
Last edited by LactoseTolerant on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

i don't think that would be a good idea, seeing as how much time it would take to properly organize it all, look at the last one, it was very disorganized.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Even when you disregard the possibility of there being too few entires, there is another problem. Nearly all experienced shipbuilders have stopped building ships, and they don't even post on the forum anymore. So there is no one to judge.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Kaelis wrote:Even when you disregard the possibility of there being too few entires, there is another problem. Nearly all experienced shipbuilders have stopped building ships, and they don't even post on the forum anymore. So there is no one to judge.
Any idea why that is? I know some just got bored with the game or had real life issues, but theres several vets that I've been waiting to see ships from that haven't even built anything since the new version was released. Was there a mass exodus or are you guys building on a secret forum again?

I would very much like to see as many BP as can be organized since I think everyone learns from them, but I agree that we need some more qualified people. Not that some of the newer builders aren't very talented, but not too many have the experience of the past judges.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

I would like to see the work of some of these newer builders go head to head. I'm very impressed with the level of shipbuilding that has been going on recently, SM4 has attracted some real 'artists'.

But as jwa and Kaelis have said, a lack of possible judges is a problem. We've seen in the past, even if people are suitable to judge, they don't always pull through. A new BP would need an awful lot of organization and preparation.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Well, organizing another BP may pull veteran posters/builders them back into Wyrdysm, if they're reachable in the first place. It may turn out to be a "revival" or sorts.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

oh hell no, having some of them back would be a major disaster, can't imagine *** and ****** coming back, they scared away about 3/4th of the people who came here, and mostly those with potential. and they would probably do it again once they come back.

EDIT: @jwa : and that's just the kind of thing im talking about, give them a change instead of going ; Him/Her; comments please You; GO AWAY.
Last edited by AlphaDetisMegas on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

@ADM Silence infidel! 3/4ths of the people who come here are witless morons with either no talent or no inclination to read the manual or rules.

If I had to suggest names for judges based on which vets have even made an appearance recently, I'd suggest the following:
ArcaneDude, Exethalion, Danny420Dale, Squishy, Sponge, Water_and_Wind, Droid, Cycerin.
I'd like to see Darkship, Ixranin, derekiv, and Talhydras but haven't seen them around lately. Anna, Arcalane, and Kaelis of course, but not sure if they would want to participate. Wouldn't mind seeing th15 throw in his two cents as an honorary judge or something if hes too busy with rl to fully participate.
Keep in mind these are by no means the only potential judges, nor am I volunteering anyone. Just saying they make up a large portion of the experience on this forum, and thats the list I would draw from to get things moving. All that is imo mostly based on seniority and quality of posts.*clarified* By this I mostly mean the amount of writing, proper English, and thought they put into presenting their ships, since I know someone will call me on that.

Also think it would be good for some of the comparatively junior but very talented members to get experience as judges. Hard though because I very much want to see what they would put forth for a bp entry. This is based on their frequency and quality of build because I have no clue to their reliability or character.
Blackhart, Theshipwrightarms, CheeseyErwin, Dood, AidanAdv
And of course my wishlist for competitors would have to include
LactoseTolerant, HorseMonster, vVhorpax, and hazelwooder

On a side note, I've been wondering if some sort of class system for entries to be judged in would be appropriate. Using something like the metagame 'threat' level, a 100 piece destroyer wouldn't be in the same category as a 450 hybrid piece monstrosity. Also more people receive praise rather than being at the bottom of a long list of ships, and the judges can really narrow down what doesn't work for that particular ship. Opinions?
Last edited by jwa8402 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I'm planning on starting a 5th Beauty Pageant when I once again have a computer to call my own. Hopefully that's not too far off. In the meantime, no one else should even dream of starting one because you'll pull an AD and fuck it up.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
TheShipwrightArms
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by TheShipwrightArms »

Just for the record: My reliability is poor and my character questionable.

Fact of the matter is that I simply wouldn't have the time to give either building or judging the consideration it deserved.

I started making ships again though.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

jwa8402 wrote:Arcalane
I have had absolutely zero drive to build anything lately. Everything is either a refit or a modification of an old or existing design. Even the stuff I'm really happy with lately I can't take credit for - W&W provided the base work, all I did was 'upgrade' it a bit.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

jwa8402 wrote:Danny420Dale
Bahahaha!! You're joking, right? Tell me you found my stash or something :lol:
Anna

Post by Anna »

AlphaDetisMegas wrote:oh hell no, having some of them back would be a major disaster, can't imagine *** and ****** coming back, they scared away about 3/4th of the people who came here, and mostly those with potential. and they would probably do it again once they come back.
ADM. Buddy. Pal. If you're too much of a motherfucking pussy to even mention fucking names when you're trying to insult somebody, keep your motherfucking mouth off, or so help me you will learn what being chased off feels like.
EDIT: @jwa : and that's just the kind of thing im talking about, give them a change instead of going ; Him/Her; comments please You; GO AWAY.
Everyone gets a chance. Hell, look how many chances you've gotten. And just about everyone I can think of who has an opinion worth listening to thinks you're a worthless moron.
jwa8402 wrote:... I'd like to see Darkship, Ixranin, derekiv, and Talhydras ...
Man. I can understand Ixranin being compared to Talhydras. to a degree. Even Darkship, slightly, as he had talent. But putting derekiv anywhere near the same class as Talhydras offends my sensibilities most strongly.

Anyway, a lot of you guys think the Beauty Pageant is all about getting all the very best shipbuilders ever to all make awesome stuff, but when I started it, and when I think about it, that's certainly not what I think of. To me the Beauty Pageant is about encouraging and inspiring people to do their best, to give it a shot, to try making something goddamn beautiful. And sure, the judging is often harsh, especially mine, but I like to encourage new people to make awesome stuff, or TRY to make awesome stuff.

And I will rope some people into judging, when the time comes. I am quite an effective nagger. And after the past few BP's, I'm quite picky about judges now, too. I have some people specifically in mind.
jwa wrote:On a side note, I've been wondering if some sort of class system for entries to be judged in would be appropriate. Using something like the metagame 'threat' level, a 100 piece destroyer wouldn't be in the same category as a 450 hybrid piece monstrosity. Also more people receive praise rather than being at the bottom of a long list of ships, and the judges can really narrow down what doesn't work for that particular ship. Opinions?
Okay, if I had maybe 100 entries, that idea would be practical. As it stands, it's not practical, it's dumb as hell, because we'd have several categories with less than a handful of entrants, and because the size of the ship has little to do with aesthetics, although larger ships can be more impressive, IF they're done well. The often aren't. The most massive ships have almost never won the BP in the past, anyway.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

AlphaDetisMegas wrote:EDIT: @jwa : and that's just the kind of thing im talking about, give them a change instead of going ; Him/Her; comments please You; GO AWAY.
Lol I won't start a flame but have to respond to this. This just shows you haven't been around long enough to say anything about anyone. I used to get bitched at by Anna and others for going too far in sticking up for people who really didn't deserve it against *** and ****. I stopped. Also your poor grammar nullifies whatever insult you were trying to throw at me there but if you don't like how this forum is run, its not the only one.
Anna wrote:
Thats ok, your sensibilities were already offensive so alittle more can't hurt :lol: For the record I wasn't suggesting anyone(at least not in the first group) for judging based on their shipbuilding skills. Its not like I'm qualified to compare most of those people anyway. If you read my comment, I was responding to the observation that not too many people who are active have been around all that long. I was simply going down the first and second page recording seniority, which I additionally qualified by not claiming to know anything about their reliability. That said, I totally agree about your goals for the bp. The competitors were my personal opinion only, and relatively new people to boot if you noticed. I for one was not trying to start one, just commenting on the potential logistics.

Alas you totally misunderstood my idea since I wasn't connecting aesthetics and size but rather complexity and design purpose. But looking back I didn't phrase it well at all and your point about entries still makes it mute. Sorry for offending anyone.
Anna

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:Alas you totally misunderstood my idea since I wasn't connecting aesthetics and size but rather complexity and design purpose. But looking back I didn't phrase it well at all and your point about entries still makes it mute. Sorry for offending anyone.
Psh. No worries. I wasn't offended, just concerned that someone might compare Talhydras to derekiv. :lol: Anyway, I think I get your point, and if I had lots of entries, it might be a good idea, but I doubt I'll ever get so many as to make it a practical idea.
Quality Control Enforcer