The shipmaker...

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Do you feel the same?

Yes I do
No votes
I am disappointed, but for other reasons
21%
No I don't
79%

Total votes: 14

Killerhurtz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The shipmaker...

Post by Killerhurtz »

When I first played Battleships Forever, a long while ago (I think when I first played, the shipmaker was in it's first version, or the second one just came out), I instantly fell in love with it for it's simplicity and somewhat innovative design. I loved how you could make a great ship within at most one hour of work.

Recently, I was talking to a friend about sci-fi movies and general science-fiction, and then it hit me: this game existed, and I lost track of it. Before that day (which was, in occurrence, a week ago), I stood about the same way as I stood for Cortex Command: waiting eagerly for the next update, to see what new features they would come upon. And I'll be very honest, it turned around very fast.

When I downloaded and first ran the brand new Ship Maker, I was as excited as I was usually... until I saw everything. And I felt the biggest disappointment I thought I could feel. A lot of what made me originally like the game was gone. The shipmaker was now a pain to use, I still can't figure out how to make a ship that doesn't get destroyed even after a week of tinkering. Guns don't even seem to work on their own anymore. My older ships don't work, either. So now I'm stuck with this: ships which I can't fix, an editor which I can't use, and a game which I can only play with stock ships (and everyone here knows that most, if not all of the fun was in fighting with your own creations).

Where did all the simplicity go? Why did it disappear? Did we really set that point aside for the sake of features which aren't even that great?

I am very disappointed on how it turned out. If you feel my stance is wrong, feel free to correct me and maybe tell me exactly WHAT I didn't get that made me feel this disappointed. I certainly hope one of you will; because all I'd really want is to again feel the glee of seeing my creation getting torn to shreds or tearing other ships apart.

Thank you for listening to me, I am looking forward to see your responses.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

It's a trade off between reliable simplicity for the high potential of extensive customization.

Other than being forced to remake your ships, you should have no problems with the latest Shipmaker. All the old functions are still there and in the same places.

You can choose to ignore all the new stuff without any ill effect, and use only the features that were in the sb3 era on your ships.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Squishy wrote:Other than being forced to remake your ships, you should have no problems with the latest Shipmaker. All the old functions are still there and in the same places.

You can choose to ignore all the new stuff without any ill effect, and use only the features that were in the sb3 era on your ships.
This.

The 'core' SM functions are still there. Nothing has really been changed in how you place sections/weapons/doodads and adjust arcs and rotate stuff and so on and so forth.
Killerhurtz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Killerhurtz »

I discovered why I had trouble: I somehow installed it wrong.

I reinstalled it over, and now everything works fine. I withdraw every past statement.