encouters and module questions

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

god froggy
Commander
Commander

encouters and module questions

Post by god froggy »

For an encounter I made, I want some units to arrive half-way through. Can you do this with your own units, because it doesn't work for me. I set delay and wave to 1 then put the units down. When playing it the units never appear, however long I wait.

Also can you change the sprite for modules just like you can for weapons? How?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Modules cannot be re skinned unfortunately, though that would be all types of awesome. Some of them can't be set to the depth of the section their parented to either it seems, though thrusters can so not sure what the difference is.
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

With waves, one entire wave has to be destroyed for another to spawn. However, the encounter maker is broken. It would be preferable for you just to post your ships.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

jwa8402 wrote:Modules cannot be re skinned unfortunately, though that would be all types of awesome. Some of them can't be set to the depth of the section their parented to either it seems, though thrusters can so not sure what the difference is.
Hmmm.. it's because I've seen a station with 4 ship deployers which look sort of SW-y and are all different colours.
inteuniso wrote:With waves, one entire wave has to be destroyed for another to spawn. However, the encounter maker is broken. It would be preferable for you just to post your ships.
I wasn't making an encounter to show off my ships, I probably will publish them but it was just a bit of fun lol
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

god froggy wrote:
jwa8402 wrote:Modules cannot be re skinned unfortunately, though that would be all types of awesome. Some of them can't be set to the depth of the section their parented to either it seems, though thrusters can so not sure what the difference is.
Hmmm.. it's because I've seen a station with 4 ship deployers which look sort of SW-y and are all different colours.
Well you can drop the module in place, then set its alpha=0 so it can't be seen, and drop a non-firing weapon on the same location to give the appearance that the module has a different look.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

Ok, I guess that's the case in the example I've seen.
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

The encounter maker seems to work fine for me, except that if you die before a wave is finished, and you have ships queued for the next wave, the game doesn't end and you just have to watch the enemies mill around aimlessly for eternity or quit.
But other than that I haven't had any problems. What are you guys finding broken about it?
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Since the question has been answered, I want to dispute one thing,
inteuniso wrote:However, the encounter maker is broken.
No, it's not broken, it's underdeveloped. It works fine for the most part, there were some complaints about it changing section depths with ship jumping, but I've never noticed it, and can only assume it's been fixed.
I've made several series of encounters (most of which I've never released because I couldn't complete them with the underdeveloped encounter maker), and am currently making another one at the moment, and I can safely say that there are no problems with it.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

Yes it's fine but it seems to have broken a few of my ships by increasing their acceleration to 200 and making them move one pixel at a time. Orr.... maybe thats me being... adequate at shipbuilding
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Bad Boy wrote:Since the question has been answered, I want to dispute one thing,
No, it's not broken, it's underdeveloped. It works fine for the most part, there were some complaints about it changing section depths with ship jumping, but I've never noticed it, and can only assume it's been fixed.
I've made several series of encounters (most of which I've never released because I couldn't complete them with the underdeveloped encounter maker), and am currently making another one at the moment, and I can safely say that there are no problems with it.
More importantly than being broken or underdeveloped, it's unsupported. We are not responsible for any issues with the encounter maker that may arise as a result of the massive feature additions performed by Kaelis, or just user stupidity.
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

Arcalane wrote:
Bad Boy wrote:Since the question has been answered, I want to dispute one thing,
More importantly than being broken or underdeveloped, it's unsupported. We are not responsible for any issues with the encounter maker that may arise as a result of the massive feature additions performed by Kaelis, or just user stupidity.
So the best way we can play god with our creations is just Sandbox em for now?
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

Jafo wrote: Well you can drop the module in place, then set its alpha=0 so it can't be seen, and drop a non-firing weapon on the same location to give the appearance that the module has a different look.
Not a good idea--you may never be able to select the module again...
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Silver Swordsman wrote:
Jafo wrote: Well you can drop the module in place, then set its alpha=0 so it can't be seen, and drop a non-firing weapon on the same location to give the appearance that the module has a different look.
Not a good idea--you may never be able to select the module again...
There's this thing called Ctrl-Click that lets you select things that are under other things.

Additionally, Alpha 0 does not alter the hitbox and thus collision/selection behaviour of the alpha'd object, just the appearance. It is still physically there as far as the engine is concerned, it's just invisible to us.