how do i make a turret

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

how do i make a turret

Post by hazelwooder »

i have tried the documentation but its pretty useless really its just text copied from the ingame help, doesn't make much sense unless you know what your doing in the first place.

i have 2 weapons on 2 child sections, i want the parent section to rotate with the child sections to aquire a target then stop and follow that target with the weapons firing.

i have tried but i just seem to be trying random combinations of triggers and drivers.

the closest i managed to get it was the parent section all children to spin randomly then every now and then it would track a target but the weapons wouldnt fire.

sorry i posted this in the wrong place.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Use the "Set Driver" option on the section. Remember to parent the weapon to a different section, and not the section that's being driven.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

All you need are drivers and weapon links.

First off, identify the one section you want to be the non-rotating base. There should be another section parented to that which WILL be free to rotate (all the other sections of the turret should be parented to this section).

On the non-rotating base, place a scatterbeam, and make it alpha 0, and have a pure black projectile color, 0 damage. Give the remaining stats the stats of your main cannons (range, fire rate). The "fire arc" of this scatterbeam will be how far the turret can rotate. Set the driver of the rotating base to this weapon. Link your two weapons to this one.

That should be it.
hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

Post by hazelwooder »

Droid wrote:All you need are drivers and weapon links.

First off, identify the one section you want to be the non-rotating base. There should be another section parented to that which WILL be free to rotate (all the other sections of the turret should be parented to this section).

On the non-rotating base, place a scatterbeam, and make it alpha 0, and have a pure black projectile color, 0 damage. Give the remaining stats the stats of your main cannons (range, fire rate). The "fire arc" of this scatterbeam will be how far the turret can rotate. Set the driver of the rotating base to this weapon. Link your two weapons to this one.

That should be it.
that works thanks
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

What about deviation. Turretted weapons have their own deviation, which make dual, tri, and quad cannons look weird with all the shots deviating their different ways.

Is there a way to avoid this?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

You can link the 'barrels' to the driver so they all fire the same. The driver settings supersede barrel settings. Deviation can be set to 0, though i think its less realistic if two parallel lines somehow converge that closely.
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

jwa8402 wrote:You can link the 'barrels' to the driver so they all fire the same. The driver settings supersede barrel settings. Deviation can be set to 0, though i think its less realistic if two parallel lines somehow converge that closely.
its also unrealistic to have a dual-cannon turret fire like its either cross-eyed or cock-eyed every shot like each barrel was shaking itself out of the turret :P
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Just make all the deviations 0. :P