how do you add doodads

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

how do you add doodads

Post by hazelwooder »

i tried dragging them into ship maker and clicking add doodad but they don't appear, how do i add them?
InkFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InkFox »

do you mean putting them onto a ship or adding a new doodad to the shipmaker pallet?

putting them on a ship works the same as sections, click once and then click to place; it you mean adding to the pallet I actually have no idea, I've been trying to figure it out for some time now ^.^'
And so I curiously venture into the world of shipbuilding, unsure of what I might find...
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

InkFox wrote:it you mean adding to the pallet I actually have no idea, I've been trying to figure it out for some time now ^.^'
Adding to the palette I've no idea, I figure maybe adding things to the doodad folder might work.
However, any .gif pulled into the shipmaker will open a prompt asking whether you want it to be a section or a doodad, that is if I remember things right.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Gisiebob
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Gisiebob »

open up the ini file that tells ship maker what to put on the pallet in the terms of doodads and sections. by default it is smsprites. type in a new 'pos' (position) (remember that 10 goes after 1, not 9. it is alphabetical order, not numerical) and then fill in the new directory to your desired sprite (it starts from the custom sprites forlder). the final step is to update the sprite count, which is doonum = X or secnum = x. if you keep the original sprite count, ship maker will only generate that many spites.

an example would be "pos10 = Eri_Grunge\Eri_DooGrunge01.gif" if you have the file "Eri_DooGrunge01.gif" in the "Eri_Grunge" folder, which is in the custom sprites folder, and you update the doonub to equal 10, it will show up as the tenth doodad. (I really like your grunge btw, EriErin)

I would also suggest saving a copy of the original ini in a separate area, just in case.

oh: also: I am not a professional, the other people here probably are. so if anyone contradicts me, trust them, not me.
you didn't make it easy. you saw through me, alright. but not well enough. because if you wanted to stay lost forever, you made one mistake.
you took my hat.

I LIKE my hat.