windows 7 64 bit compatibility problem

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

windows 7 64 bit compatibility problem

Post by KOZ »

okay so ive scanned through a few of the compatibility problems about windows vista not working and that the fix is to set the compatibility to "XP". Well ive tried that and windows98 and all the other available OS's in the compatibility list and none work, this error keeps popping up.....

for object GUI_MainTitle:

Error defining an external function.

so then i tried the "ignore" tactic commands. Now I can open the game ...briefly..this message pops up and i press ignore twice press control and then hold shift + I. by my count i have to hold it for over 1000 posts of the error before it loads...but it does.... and then crashes.....

if anybody has any advice or tips to make it work that would be great.

I have played this on XP before and it worked fine...

thanks for any help!

KOZ :
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

You set it to XP SP2, right? And run as admin?
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

yup like i said, i tried every OS in the compatibility menu....and still....
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Did you install in the program files (x86) folder? I'm not sure if this works in 64-bit mode.
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

yeah..i did.. il try installing it to to the regular directory. thanks
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

crud i almost thought it would work...but unfortunately it doesn't...maybe its that it doesn't funtion well on 64 bit OSS's...i know it works on 32 bit...you know?

anyhow thanks for the comments so far!
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

It's not that BSF doesn't work on 64-bit versions. Or at least, if it is, then I and many others have somehow managed to escape it for over a year. That said, the error message you pasted is quite familiar, annoyingly. It plagued me for about a 5 to 6-month stretch, although apparently not to the same extent, since in my case a reboot would make it go away for a few weeks.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

soooo you're saying that if I reboot .... "a few times" then it might make the dumb error go away for a bit?
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

I'm running this in Vista 64 without issues, but I have it installed in the (x86) folder. I also have UAC turned off, among other annoying "security" features.
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

sorry but again...I run windows 7 and it is slightly "different" than vista.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

KOZ wrote:soooo you're saying that if I reboot .... "a few times" then it might make the dumb error go away for a bit?
Sorry, no. My primary point is that the problem itself isn't related to running under a 64-bit OS. The rambling about my experiences was just a rather roundabout way of saying that the error in question can be bit odd, since in that particular case it appeared and then disappeared without apparent cause.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

oh i see, sorry... well im still stumped then... on an off topic its definetly not my computer (I have a phenom X4 9850 OC 2.8 GHZ, 4GB RAM, and a HD 4850 1GB card.)
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Have you tried disabling UAC?
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It'll give you that error when the game doesn't have access to read/write/run the .dll files that it needs. Usually its some permissions issue. Either that or you plain don't have the dlls there.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

do you have any tips or guesses as to what dll's I'm missing and links to get them?

thanks