Ship Maker being used for Gratuitous Space Battles game

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Skull13
Captain
Captain

Ship Maker being used for Gratuitous Space Battles game

Post by Skull13 »

Basically, someone is using the Ship Maker to make new hulls for Gratuitous Space Battles, another game. Is this alright? I'm curious because I don't know the legality of this.

Topic here: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/vie ... =23&t=2905
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

hmm, this does'nt sound legal to me, as its taking someone elses work(the shipmaker) without permission, though its th15's decision, if its legal or not, as its his game.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

I don't see why they can't just use photoshop or any other 2D graphics program. Looks like the TC is using a harder method of putting together a hull for screenshotting purposes.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Actually looks amazing and if I got the game I would do this regardless of legality. I don't think its illegal because hes not using shipmaker in ways other than intended or in any way connecting the two programs. He created a ship, which I'm pretty sure is considered his creation in terms of design. Credit is given to th15 so the only questionable part is that he should give credit to the creators of the sprites used. Most people on this forum treat bsf as nothing more than a tool to create good looking ships anyway, whereas their program doesn't seem to have that ability, so there is really no competition. Actually it should only help raise the population of this board. Until a version of bsf is released that we have to pay for its kind of a mute point imo, but of course its th15's prerogative.
Last edited by jwa8402 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Sounds perfectly legal to me, it's just a really lazy "workaround" for people who have jack all design skills for spriting or modelling (which is most of us, probably). I suppose the same could be said of BSF shipmakers who don't use piles of custom sprites though.

Note that the technique hasn't really caught on, and everyone else is doing it without using SM to my knowledge.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

I noticed that too. Alright.

Fair enough.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Overreacting much?

Its a single ship, used purely for the purpose of demonstrating a concept, and BSF has been credited. BSF can only benefit from it. There is nothing to be concerned with.

I myself would actually be happy to see the shipmaker being used in this way; im happy to see it used in any way for any purpose as long as there is no harm or ill will.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Speaking of GSB, has anyone considered porting the turrets over? They'd work best if used as sections with invisible guns placed on the barrels as appropriate, I think.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to do, so long as you have something that can handle .dds files. I might fiddle with it later.

Ed: Image See?