Running under Wine...

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

doh123
Ensign
Ensign

Running under Wine...

Post by doh123 »

this has to do with Mac OS X, as well as Linux....

but is there any tips, or anyone want to share their experiences getting it to work?

I have made a Mac .app program that uses Wine inside to run the program, (which i can give copies to if anyone wants it...) and I've gotten it decently playable.. with music, but I can't get sound effects to work. I also can only get it to work in "fullscreen" mode in a virtual desktop... and the shipmaker isn't nice at all, since it will only run in a window, and its drawing the contents of the window a bit off, so the picture and mouseclicks are all off...

Its fun to play even as is... but I would really like some sound effects, the music by itself gets old.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

well just do a separate partition with 10 gig or so for a win xp or nt build and stick BSF on that.
doh123
Ensign
Ensign

Post by doh123 »

Silverware wrote:well just do a separate partition with 10 gig or so for a win xp or nt build and stick BSF on that.
I'd rather play it with no sound effects rather than having to boot into Windows...

Although I'm sure I could get it to work in a virtual machine, not sure its worth having to run it that way just for sound effects when the rest of the game plays fine.

was just wondering if anyone else has been trying to get it to work and had any different luck or was fooling with it, and we might collaborate.

I've run it in Wine 1.1.21 through 1.1.29 (latest) all versions, and all run it the same way.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Its likely to be how Game Maker loads the sound files. Either that or some weird DirectX Failure.
But if the BGMusic loads then the sound effects should too. At least in theory.