Chainships, anyone? (Signups closed)

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

So, what about a new chainship project, guys?

Let's go, team!
86%
No. This is a waste of time.
14%

Total votes: 51

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

That's the idea, yeah.

Any timetables yet?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Well, I want to get going sometime over the next couple of days, preferably today, actually. I'm just going to throw a few sections together to make a start. After that, each person has three days upon receiving the last person's blueprint to complete their version and send it on to the next person in line.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Sounds good.
What sprites are we using?
Im going to suggest Kaelis's SW sprites.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

I recommend using the sprite packs listed here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4500 (basically all the kaelis TSwA sprites plus crimsionflame's sections, the stock sections and CE sections in TSwA style) along with TSA_Ura and DST_swnc
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Frankly, I wouldn't touch CrimsonFlame's SW-style sections with a ten foot pole, since the few of them that there are don't have any unique use that can't be filled by other SW-style sections. I would recommend the usage of Blackhart's SW-ized sections, though. They have many uses and fill unique rolls that aren't filled by other sections.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

thanto_ wrote:I'm nowhere near accomplished or skilled enough to do this justice, so I'll watch from the sidelines.
OK, changed my mind. If we're doing triggers (I thought we weren't), I'm in for that.

I'm thinking side port-holes that open up to reveal broadside guns (anti-patrol ship, or anti-fighter), topside hatches that open to reveal elevators to bring up large anti-capital artillery... I've been wanting to do that but can't think of a good design for it yet.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I think the latter might be a little overcomplicated, but the former sounds right up my alley. Would you mind going in at the end of the hullbuilding queue, right before the weapons phase?
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

No problem. The hull would have to be built around that idea, though. These are things that really have to flow from the ship - they can't simply be tacked on at the end. What I would need is space created specifically for this purpose - basically, I'd need the hatches built-in already. I would take care of the opening and closing of hatches as well as the moving of weapons. The big hatches should have turrets setup already underneath. I would take care of the opening of those hatches and the raising of the turrets. If the barrels would need to extend after clearing the hatch, I can do that.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

thanto_ wrote:No problem. The hull would have to be built around that idea, though. These are things that really have to flow from the ship - they can't simply be tacked on at the end. What I would need is space created specifically for this purpose - basically, I'd need the hatches built-in already. I would take care of the opening and closing of hatches as well as the moving of weapons. The big hatches should have turrets setup already underneath. I would take care of the opening of those hatches and the raising of the turrets. If the barrels would need to extend after clearing the hatch, I can do that.
honestly? that sounds really cool, and if you could do it well that would be neat. Honestly though, I'm not really sure that that's an idea well suited for a chainship, as it would requre a large portion of the ship to be built in a certain way, something which goes against the very idea of a chainship. I mean, if you were to make a ship yourself and put that turret in? That would be awesome. I'm just not sure that this is the best place for it. It could certainly work if people are willing to put the effort into making the theoretical hatches and the person who is doing the work on ____ part of the body decides to put in hatches and a turret, but... yeah.
Also, remember that it's going to be built around a specific base [which verm is making] and that people are only going to be building so much of it at a certain point. Placing a turret that would fulfill what you're looking for based on that restriction could be tricky.
I know I might not be expressing myself clearly enough, but... you get what I'm trying to say? Of course, the final decision resides with Verm [and the people actually making the ship, of course].
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, assuming that the side armor will be made up of several sections, it should be too hard to build something that looks like some things to cover the guns, then just shove the guns under the pre-existing structure.

It can be tacked on at the end.

Well, at least the side ones can. The topside ones probably won't work.

Also, some triggers have to be done after it has been armed (how else will you set the trigger to weapon fired if there is no weapon?) Unless I'm mistaken and that's how it's done already.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

lightstriker wrote:honestly? that sounds really cool, and if you could do it well that would be neat. Honestly though, I'm not really sure that that's an idea well suited for a chainship, as it would requre a large portion of the ship to be built in a certain way, something which goes against the very idea of a chainship.
That's precisely why I brought it up. While triggers for big cool things can be very cool, it necessitates that the ship be built to accomodate them, which is unlikely for this kind of project unless the participants make a conscious, concerted effort to do so. While that could be very cool, it's unlikely, and I wouldn't say that it's necessary for this project.

As for how stuff is triggered specifically, there are a few options. One is we use a mode-change switch. The idea I was thinking of specifically was switching between long range anti-capital bombardment mode and short range anti-frigate/fighter mode. So, the anti-cap mode would focus around either big pop-out turrets (like classic destroyer triple barrel turrets) or a big main gun, and the anti-fighter mode would focus around multiple broadside flak guns (EX: burst firing plasmas, or 180 explosion ACs) or fast-tracking missiles. So, the triggering could be accomplished by having a switch triggered by a single key, like / or something.

The other way is to trigger stuff by targets in range. One way to do this is to use weapons with set ranges to trigger the activation of weapons of appropriate ranges via Weapon Acquired Target. For example, have a weapon with a short range trigger the opening of the broadside flak, and a weapon with a long range trigger the activation of the main gun.
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I just wanna address an earlier point about which sections we're using. You can use any SWA section and you can even make your own here if needs be. So long as it looks good I don't care.

And yeah, I won't hold anyone to making a special effort to accomodate triggers. I'd prefer if as much shipbuilding freedom is maintained as possible.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

All systems are go?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

Almost. I'm going to put up a very simple start. Then all systems are go.