The possiblities of The BattleShips forever idea

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Noctis
Captain
Captain

The possiblities of The BattleShips forever idea

Post by Noctis »

Ok so I've been playing a heck of a lot of Dwarf Fortress and now that I'm playing BSF again I'm beginning to see alot of the potential for something like this. Now, the reason I'm not posting this in the "ideas for BSF2" thread is because the ideas are so far beyond the things that would actually be done that I don't want to mess up the thread by going on tangents.

So the basic idea I have as to what BSF is is that its a game that allows for a sort of modular space ship building. Now this has a great deal of potential, some of which I think is rather being untapped. A big thing that I think would be useful is multiple cores, either pure AI or AI/controllable. Fraxy has this and it allows for some rather interesting effects, such as severed sections continuing to attack. How it could be done is rather simple, involving multiple parent lines. The secondary cores would be connected to the main core by a "command line" of pieces. If this line is severed the secondary core would begin moving on it's own, taking with it any pieces parented to it. It could basically allow for large battleships to actually launch autonomous fighters.

Another thing is that I feel the Modular nature of BSF could allow for some really interesting interactions. As of right now the only real interactions we have are purely visual interactions. Now, lets imagine that we have other modules, like power stations or magnetic field generators. Lets also imagine that the sections can have traits like being magnetic or not, a mass and and electrical conductivity and so on. So, that rather then just using weapon modules we could also create our own systems.

Ok so before I start rambling randomly, I'm curious as to what other people imagine as the extreme limits of this program's potential. Any ideas as to things that, while we'll more then likely never get them, it would be really cool to have them.
unsunghero10
Commander
Commander

Post by unsunghero10 »

Damaged sections converting into wreck sprites, to show a ship degrading.
Lurk more
Grasmaaier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Grasmaaier »

or a impact sprite at the weapon impact, showing that it's hit there.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

This poorly thought-out and utterly retarded thread is basically just another "what do you want in BSF" thread. All the same retarded suggestions people are gonna post here, have already been posted elsewhere, without a doubt. So I'm locking it before it becomes too large a waste of space
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.