All About GIFs

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

All About GIFs

Post by Blue-Rex »

I've been wondering, how do you make a GIF such as one for weapons. I'm asking because I've never worked with GIFs and I don't want mine to suck round things.":roll:"
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Very carefully!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
maarten
BANNED

Post by maarten »

Arcalane wrote:Very carefully!
Sigh, didn't I get a warning for this. One line useless posts?

Back on topic: Draw the gun, then make a couple more drawings in each one the gun should be recoiling/chargin/whatever more then the last. Then put them together with whatever kind of GIF maker you can find.(I'd say google GIF maker. Or gimp.)
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

What programs does everybody use to make GIFs. If someone can tell me please do so, because I can't find anything good.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The GIMP can be a bit hard to begin with, but once you've gotten the knack of making GIFs in it, it can be pretty easy.

Basically what you need are several seperate images, each frames of the animation. In the GIMP, open the "idle" frame (however the turret will appear when not firing) as the background and then load the other frames as layers.

Once you've done that, make sure the tones of black are all the same, go "Image" -> "Mode" -> "Indexed..."

Leave the defaults and you should get optimal settings. Now go File Save As, Save as a .gif, make sure you SAVE AS ANIMATED, and you should be good to go.

The delay between frames doesn't matter in GM, but if you want it to look good when posting a preview on the forums, 50-100ms is generally a good delay.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

Thanks for the tips n bits. I'll look into that. The reason I asked is because I want to make custom guns to go with my custom turrets that go with my custom sections and my custom colors and custom glows and custom bowtie and custom champagne and just a regular piece of paper,..... with custom print! Ahem, .....sorry. I got carried away.

PS: custom = possibly sucky :lol: