I forsee a problem...

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

25000st
Captain
Captain

I forsee a problem...

Post by 25000st »

Clouded, the future is..
As many of you are aware, TSA has recently proven that with good sections, shipbuilding becomes significantly easier. This could mean, people will now start to focus more on spriting more than actually building a ship. I can already see this forum turning into a place to show off custom sprites with a few "gods" controlling the forum with their skill of making sprites INSTEAD of ship-building. This may virtually eliminate BSF/SM from the forum.

I know there is nothing wrong with making sprites but remember, this is BATTLESHIPS Forever. Not CUSTOM SPRITES Forever. I personally would hate to see this forum turn into a place to show custom sprites.

Am I just being an idiot? Could you guys tell me what you think?
ODST
Commander
Commander

Post by ODST »

Um... well people have been releasing custom sections for a while now. Many of them have made it easier to build better looking ships. I'm pretty sure the forum is still mostly about the ships that are built, though.
[img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6102/odstsigbi9.jpg[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You're just being an idiot. :)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

ODST wrote:Um... well people have been releasing custom sections for a while now. Many of them have made it easier to build better looking ships. I'm pretty sure the forum is still mostly about the ships that are built, though.
It is true people have released sections but none have been like the ones TSA made. His sections just fit together while previous sections didn't.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

I don't know if you were around before .90, but I can tell you that the expected quality of ships has changed considerably. Some of the noob crap today would have been passable as halfway decent ships before SM got its makeover. In fact, if you look over the archives, you'll find people being praised for things that are truly mediocre by today's standards. The "damage" custom sections are capable of doing has already been inflicted. It won't get any worse. TSA's sections only work for ships in his style, as that is the style that they were designed for. They may be easy to work with, and look amazing, but their usability is very limited. I'd say this is a non-issue. The skill required to make sprites that can be used for kickass ships is very manageable. You just have to plan out what pieces you'll need. You need a sense of what your final product will be. That's why TSA's ships have always been so kickass. It's not that he's the best spriter in the world (though he's pretty damn good), but because he doesn't sit down and throw together a bunch of random sections.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

2500ST: Awesome sprites = Awesome ships. And besides custom sprites is how one expresses him self or speaks if you don't like freedom of speech (in this case sprites) go stick you head in the sand.(this is making be sound like a god damn hippy isn't it?)
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You're an idiot and you're lucky I don't just dump this thread in the Hall of Shame. Jesus.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

The same concern has been raised back when we implemented custom section import. As you can see, it wasnt valid.

The main problem with 'pixelarting' ships instead of building them out of sections is that pixelart is time consuming and requires skill. Its not feasible to draw entire ships in paint, or even draw sections specifically tailored to certain ships. At least not on a large scale. Its just too much work.
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

25000st wrote:As many of you are aware, TSA has recently proven that with good sections, shipbuilding becomes significantly easier. This could mean, people will now start to focus more on spriting more than actually building a ship. I can already see this forum turning into a place to show off custom sprites with a few "gods" controlling the forum with their skill of making sprites INSTEAD of ship-building. This may virtually eliminate BSF/SM from the forum.
This is sheer tinfoilhattery, and I detest your face for it. The same was projected around the time when custom sprite import was first developed, and rules forbidding the practice of "making a large piece of pixelart and then splitting it up into sections" were tacked on to the Beauty Pageant format out of fear of the pageant being won through pure pixelart.

So far, I've seen no pure pixelart ships being posted on these forums-- any that come close are comprised of smaller self-drawn sections, the better of which have been salvaged for use on countless other ships and eventually simply absorbed into BSF's "flow". The sections of the Knights of the Baseline Frequency, for example, eventually transcended their original usage as they were incorporated into several significantly better designs by other users. And let's not forget those infamous fuel rods.

As Kaelis said, mass-producing pixelarted ships is simply infeasible. And the whole idea of gradually shifting to sections in TSA's style is daft: BSF's standard style requires only Microsoft Paint and a little bit of creativity to get in to. TSA's style arguably necessitates a proprietary graphics editing program, or at least The GIMP. Though it's not that I don't approve of it if it were possible to set a unified standard for new TSA-esque sections regarding things like fill colors and filter settings, much like BSF's standard of 255, 255, 255 lining and 48, 48, 48 filling. I'd like to see you try.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

I'll let my post in the other thread stand here as well.
Danny420Dale wrote:You say that like it's a bad thing! Isn't this situation rather the entire point of custom sprite import? I remember the first rounds of new section ideas Back in the Day™ and the controversy it caused. That didn't stop us, and neither shall this.
Anna wrote:You're an idiot and you're lucky I don't just dump this thread in the Hall of Shame. Jesus.
He's also lucky I don't believe in LOL INTARDWEBS TUFFGUI!@12 posting, because if this thread causes TSA to drop his sections, I'ma have to drop a Horatio Nelson on 2500st's ass from orbit!
omega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by omega »

Danny420Dale wrote: He's also lucky I don't believe in LOL INTARDWEBS TUFFGUI!@12 posting, because if this thread causes TSA to drop his sections, I'ma have to drop a Horatio Nelson on 2500st's ass from orbit!
I think 25000st really did forsee a problem.. :lol:
alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta... and Ω Omega!

Last edited by omega on Mon Jan 1, 2012 1:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
TheShipwrightArms
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: I forsee a problem...

Post by TheShipwrightArms »

25000st wrote:Am I just being an idiot? Could you guys tell me what you think?
My view? It's not proven that shipbuilding will become 'significantly easier' when these sections start filtering through. I suspect that the good shipbuilders will still be good and the crap ones (God bless 'em) will still be crap. As Sponge says, if it's anything like post-0.9 then everyones quality will receive a hike, and what's so wrong with that?

Read on the thread that Dan linked to that at one point th15 wanted to keep the style 'pure'. And I can respect that, BSF is his baby and that's his perogative. But also I think it was inevitable, as soon as custom sprites became possible, that things would progress this way. It was opening Pandora's box.

You're being a drama queen tbh.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Well I guess that settles it then?

Another thing I noticed was the near-total lack of resistance to Fraxy sections and only a modicum of consternation at WF sections. Considering WF is in some ways BSF's spiritual ancestor, even the presence of any controversy with regard to WF secs strikes me as a bit odd. IMO this matter is very much overblown as well.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Sticking a fork in it. I think this argument is done.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ