BSF not running: external function error

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

frankiss
Ensign
Ensign

BSF not running: external function error

Post by frankiss »

I explain:

I have installed recently the last release of the game, and the Ship maker works fine, but the game doesn't even starts. It keeps saying the same error:

Code: Select all

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object GUI_MainTitle:

Error defining an external function.

I have Vista, but one friend of mine has tried it on his Vista and works perfectly, so, what the he** is happening :?:
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Ah, yes, that. It keeps giving me that every now and then, on XP, Vista, and W7, so it's not the OS. I can't actually figure out any reason for it, although Kaelis might be able to. All I can tell you is that whenever I get that a restart of the computer usually fixes it.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Swamp Fox wrote:It keeps giving me that every now and then, on XP, Vista, and W7, so it's not the OS.
It might not be the OS for you, but that doesn't mean the same is true for others.

UAC, not having Administrator privileges and some other Vista 'features' that im not familiar with (i don't use Vista) have been known to cause this problem. The error is caused by BSF not being able to access one of its dlls. Others who actually have experience in dealing with the nightmarish quagmire that is Vista should be able to shine some light on the issue.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

The solutions are to install the game into a folder you have admin access to (usually c:\username should be fine), getting admin read/write access to the folder you installed the game to, or just turning off vista's program files folder protection and other fantastic fun features.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Yeah... Once again,Never install games to program files,unless it is a mainstream product and you never really plan to mod it much.
frankiss
Ensign
Ensign

No changes

Post by frankiss »

I tried to deactivate every folder protection, execute it with admin priviligies changed the directory tenth times,
but nothing changes, it keeps saying the same message
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Umm, the dlls are actually there are they?
Sean 'th15' Chan
frankiss
Ensign
Ensign

re

Post by frankiss »

the problem its not all that solved, but I quit the bass.dll and bgm.dll and it seems to work (without music), but having already some graphic problems (you can only see bullets in a particular region of the room, the rest of that room the only thing that I see its a rare stream when ships fire, but the bullets hit whitout the explosion sprite)
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

You'll probably have to turn off surfaces in order to see the bullets properly, in that case. If it works without the bass and bgm dlls then it means that there's something in the sound that doesn't work with your system.
Sean 'th15' Chan