I'm back, after a several month hiatus.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

I'm back, after a several month hiatus.

Post by AllStarZ »

And I've noticed that you've released an incredible update.

I absolutely love all the new features you've added, namely the ship deployer, ability to import custom sprites, and such.

But there's one flaw: the game is virtually unplayable. The lag is too much for me. I've turned all the settings off, and yet it still crawls along at 11 frames a second. I surpass the minimum requirements (though not necessarily meet the recommended requirements in all aspects).

Lets put it this way. My computer is old. And it's no hotrod. But with my RAM and video card upgrades, I can at the very least expect to play Fallout 3 with the settings turned quite low for most part (except for model detail, which I can set to medium). Hell, once it comes out, I should at the very least be able to play Starcraft 2 online without severe difficulty. Of course, SC2 isn't graphically demanding.

But my point is that I can play these latest generation games on my computer with a reasonable framerate, but I am virtually unable to run BF in game mode. My usual work around of setting a demanding program to high priority in task manager doesn't work: setting it to above normal is enough to choke the computer to immobility and force a restart.
Last edited by AllStarZ on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Blame GameMaker. There's really not much we can do.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Besides, BSF seems to care more about your CPU than it does any other part of the system. I mean, I can't actually tell much of a difference between a Geforce 7 series and a Geforce 9. Don't blame the graphics, since that's not the biggest problem.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

Well the game's practically unplayable now. I place two ships in sandbox and fps plunges from 11 to 4. If the addition of these new features lags the game so badly, you may as well rollback some of them.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Except that I don't have the problem.

And neither does anyone else. That I know of.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

Really? Then what are your computer specs?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

AllStarZ wrote:Well the game's practically unplayable now. I place two ships in sandbox and fps plunges from 11 to 4. If the addition of these new features lags the game so badly, you may as well rollback some of them.
How about you rollback to 0.89 versions, assuming you didn't delete them?

My point is, if we stripped out the features, it would just be 0.89 all over again, and Kaelis went to great lengths to implement these features. To roll them back would be an insult to him and the community.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

AllStarZ wrote:Really? Then what are your computer specs?
Nothing out of the friggin' ordinary. 2GB ram, and I'm too lazy to go and find out the other stuff. I have Vista, on a side note.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

My computer would have a seizure if I tried to play Fallout 3 at all and it runs BSF at an acceptable speed.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I crawl along at 1 fps whenever there is more than two decent sized ships floating around and you don't see me complaining.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

If you really need an older version, I'd be happy to upload it for you. Just stop complaining that we need to revert to such a primitive and restrictive version simply to satisfy a small little number of insignificant humans.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

*Calms down*

Okay maybe I do need a new computer. In the meanwhile, is there anyway I can optimize performance.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

AllStarZ wrote:I place two ships in sandbox and fps plunges from 11 to 4.
What are those ships? How big they are? What 'features' do they have?

And whats your CPU?
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

Kaelis wrote:
AllStarZ wrote:I place two ships in sandbox and fps plunges from 11 to 4.
What are those ships? How big they are? What 'features' do they have?

And whats your CPU?
Hestia-sized frigate and Pirate Ship 1. I have a Pentium IV 1.89 GHZ processor. According to Bethesda's minimum requirements I should be far from able to play Fallout 3, but I manage to do it with a reasonable framerate.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

You said you turned off all settings,I'd imagine that would include particles.

I remember turning off particles and before long losing significant frame rate in no-time.

Although that likely isn't the source of the problem,I do recommend turning particles back on.