I'm back, after a several month hiatus.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

I turned them back on because I already suspected they actually reduce performance if they're off. No real noticeable improvement, but at least bullet impacts don't persist.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Quite Frankly AllStarZ, the best way to improve performance would be to get a newer computer. BSF is a game that drains the computational capability of the aether itself, and you are using a low-speed CPU from the early days of high-resource gaming. The performance you can achieve with this chip is limited when compared to even a medium-grade Core 2 Duo, to say the least.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

As SF says, the CPU in your system is the bottleneck.

You're gonna hafta to go back to 0.89, because there's no way in hell we're stripping out features that most of the community would kill for (fortunately, we coded them in before anyone got hurt! :P), just for one or two users.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

AllStarZ wrote:Hestia-sized frigate and Pirate Ship 1. I have a Pentium IV 1.89 GHZ processor.
Ive been running BSF without a problem on comparable systems. Its either a bug, an incompatibility, or something wrong with your PC.

I take it that youve tried turning surfaces off?
Swamp Fox wrote:The performance you can achieve with this chip is limited when compared to even a medium-grade Core 2 Duo, to say the least.
Remember that BSF uses only one core.
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

Perhaps your videocard and/or RAM are the cause of the problem?

I know there's a HUGE difference in FPS between my 3.06GHz Pentium 4 with 1.5GB RAM and GeForce 6200 and my 3GHz Core2 Duo with 4GB RAM and GeForce 8800GT.

I suppose we should take into account that a processors speed isn't just the clock frequency; a 1.9GHz P4 wouldn't be the same as one core of a 1.9GHz Core2 Duo.
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

GeForce 6200 256 MB and 768 MB RAM. If it's not my processor, then what is it?
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

How much RAM is BSF using? Open up task manager while it's running and take a look. You don't have much to spare. I would bet that this is what's behind your slow performance.
Newegg has a good deal on a pair of 1GB sticks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820148163

What OS are you running?
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

It uses about over 200 MB and I'm running XP. Also, my motherboard will only support 1 GB maximum.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Oh. I hate to break it to you, but yeah. I think an upgrade is in order. Did you build this yourself or did you buy it preassembled? How old is your machine? What model is the motherboard?

MaximumPC recently build a $500 desktop that runs Crysis at 40FPS. I'd wager that for a fraction of that, you could get something two or three times more capable than your current rig.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... s?page=0,4
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Kaelis wrote:
Swamp Fox wrote:The performance you can achieve with this chip is limited when compared to even a medium-grade Core 2 Duo, to say the least.
Remember that BSF uses only one core.
True, although I was referring more to the architecture improvements than the extra core. It's just a coincidence that a step up from a Pentium gains an extra core, although I don't see why it's a problem. It may even indirectly help BSF, since there'll be more resources for the other programs to sap.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

No money.

T_T

Well to be precise, I do have money, and quite a bit of it (more than enough to buy a low-end PC) but I don't want to use it....
dyoano
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by dyoano »

I'm having the same problem as well. In the intro screen, where ships shoot each other in the background automatically, i get around 15 fps, and if i actually play myself, it drops to an almost unplayable 8-10 fps.

I have everything but interpolate turned off - without that, the game just looks downright retarded

2 gb ram
vista home premium
centrino duo @ 1.89 gHz
graphics card doesn't really matter, this game is supposed to be super cpu intensive right?
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

dyoano wrote:graphics card doesn't really matter, this game is supposed to be super cpu intensive right?
It might matter if you're using some nasty integrated chip or a low-power mobile video card.