Has BSF lost its way? - No, just it's mind.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

the mulletron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Has BSF lost its way? - No, just it's mind.

Post by the mulletron »

Hello one and all, The Mulletron here! I'm posting this thread because I've been neglecting BSF for about a month or two now, and I know the reason why.

Over the past year, I've seen BSF slowly turn from a tactical strategy adaptation of Warning Forever into a designing tool just for making pretty pictures with. The reason I say this, is that whilst Shipmaker gets more and more attention, the actual game itself has been largely abandoned.

As it stands, Shipmaker and the game itself are more or less mutually exclusive at the moment, with the only real way to use your custom ships, is to muck about with them in the sandbox mode, the only alternative being to take pictures of it, and to post them here for other people to ogle at (which is OK I guess, but not exactly interesting).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong about designing pretty ships, nor that the BSF developers are doing a bad job, but the game has become (for me at least) just something to mess around with rather than something to actually play.

So I ask you, what's your opinion on this? Has BSF lost it's way? Could it do with Shipmaker being better incorporated into the game? Or is it just fine the way it is?
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

I can see your point, although in my opinion if BSF has lost its way it happened a long time ago. Once you finish with the campaign, Sandbox is pretty much all that's left, aside from the skirmishes. It's been this way as long as I can remember. At this point I've gotten used to it, but I do think it would be somewhat nice if the game itself were revived somehow, although I have to wonder how practical it would be.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

I'm still waiting for the last two campaign missions.

Also, you use the encounter maker to cook up some minigames and custom missions, but it seems to have been neglected as well.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Do mind the fact that people build their ships for two reasons;

1) aesthetics
2) being fun to play with.

Personally, every ship i get my hands on is something new to test, or to test on. I run battles with some appropriate music, sometimes I set one ship as a flagship and control that myself...personally, I believe that's more fun than the campaign missions. I'm still waiting for those last two though.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

I have to agree with this. There's a severe lacking of things to do with these pretty new ships. Using them in the preset modes feels like cheating, using my tech against stock, and building encounters for me to use myself later feels like playing with myself (<- any context will convey my point).

The last 2 missions would be a good start, but what we really need is a new game mode. We need a way to set what will spawn for us, what will spawn for the enemy, and a spawn interval.

TL;DR VERSION: You know that endless battle that happens on the menu screen that is really fun to watch? Gimme that with options to set what spawns.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

I've thought up a pseudo rule-set for playing as a pirate junk lord.

It involves alot of die rolling but it makes playing the game feel alot like playing a RPG.
ifelon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by ifelon »

Squishy wrote:I'm still waiting for the last two campaign missions.

Also, you use the encounter maker to cook up some minigames and custom missions, but it seems to have been neglected as well.
I suppose in BF it seems could make a mission yourself?
But how to?I'm confusing..
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

BSF encounter maker is inside the game.

Custom Game -> Make Encounter.

Sadly, I hardly know anything about making .enc files.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

I thought this long ago, and it is indeed why I neglected the forums and game to the point where I was removed from the mod staff. It's also why I wanted an un-CE version of the game, for personal use.
Sadly, I hardly know anything about making .enc files.
It's not difficult, and is actually quite fun, though full functionality was neevr given to the system: All oyu can do is spawn waves, pretty much. I took to writing accompanying scripts for my encounters, but there's only so much you can do.

And now with the Encounter section of the forum pushed into the archives and unnaccessible, you've all but lost that facet of the game as well.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

That's because hardly anybody used that feature, y'know.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I think it was because it was a bit shallow and finicky. I'd use the hell out of it if it had as much depth as shipmaker.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Valid points all around.

First off, some background. The recent developments of the shipbuilding part of BSF are pretty much my own initiative. I choose to expand the shipmaker instead of the game itself due to my own preferences and opinions. I love the creativity aspect of BSF the most, and never really cared much about gameplay itself (i still havent finished the campaign!), and i always thought shipbuilding has alot more potential and could use more flavor (custom sprites!). I am also a staunch proponent of promoting creativity in/trough games.

Now, after 0.90 release, i was quite satisfied with the new features shipmaker had to offer. There were plans to implement at least three new game modes after the bugfixing was done. As you can see, this never come to pass, and there are still many critical bugs that need fixing. This is simply because neither i nor Sean have time for BSF anymore.

In short, i fully agree that BSF needs more gameplay, but im afraid i just can't afford working on it.
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

Kaelis wrote:This is simply because neither i nor Sean have time for BSF anymore.
I believe I speak for almost everyone on the forums when I say that I absolutely love BSF and would hate to see it die. However, if you do have to abandon it, I'm sure any number of people would be willing to take up the slack and continue the project.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

VNilla wrote:
Kaelis wrote:This is simply because neither i nor Sean have time for BSF anymore.
I believe I speak for almost everyone on the forums when I say that I absolutely love BSF and would hate to see it die. However, if you do have to abandon it, I'm sure any number of people would be willing to take up the slack and continue the project.
But that's something that simply can't be done right now, not until we hear more about BSF2 and how BSF1 ties into that legally.

I think all that should be done with BSF now is rounding off a few loose ends - fixing bugs, wrapping up the campaign - maybe slip in a couple more custom weapons if any good ideas come up... and no, don't suggest any, there's already threads full of ideas.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

VNilla wrote:
I didnt say im abandoning BSF, i merely stated that i don't have time to work on it atm. And besides, im not the owner of the game, Sean is. What happens to BSF is not my decision.