Wierd Stuff in the Custom Sprites Folder

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

VNilla
Commander
Commander

Wierd Stuff in the Custom Sprites Folder

Post by VNilla »

I was looking through the Custom Sprites folder for v.0.90d in my spare time, and I noticed a few things:

1) I can't find any turret or bullet sprites for the Flare Gun and the EMP Cannon, yet they show up just fine in ShipMaker. Are they built directly into the game program (no links to external sprites)?

2) Inversely, I found a turret and beam sprite for a weapon called a Targeting Laser. However, there is no such device available in ShipMaker. Was this part of a previous release that got removed from the game but left in the folder? Or is it planned for a future release but is already in the folder?

3) There are two sprites for targeting crosshairs, spr_BeamTargetHit and spr_BeamTargetShoot. Why are there two of them? Was one intended for use with the Targeting Laser? And why is spr_BeamTargetHit a lot bigger than spr_BeamTargetShoot?

4) Why is the Pulse Gun's turret sprite just called "spr_Turret" and not "spr_Pulse"?

5) The Deflector sprite's name is misspelled (spr_Deflecctor).

6) Why are there two Blaster turret sprites (one with the target laser on the top, one with it on the bottom) but in SM the only way to "flip" a blaster is to set it's y-scale to -1? The Sidewinder only has one sprite and a "Flip Sidewinder" option in its right-click menu; I doubt this would be hard to implement on the Blaster as well.

7) What is "spr_Tug" for? It looks like it was intended to be a ship core, but it's not in ShipMaker...

8) When making our own custom sprites, the instructions say that the sprites must all have a 1px solid-color border around the edge to be used as a transparency color. However, some of the other sprites don't have this and they work fine (examples include spr_ShipDeployer, which touches the left side, and spr_Deployer, which touches both the left and the right). Are the instructions incorrect? (Did I misread them?) Does the game only use the pixel in the top-left as the transparency color?

9) A bunch of the turret sprites have a green background color for transparency. This would be understandable if they needed to show black areas, but none of them have any. Why is this? Were they the sprites used in the first-ever version of BSF and were never changed to a black background?

10) What is spr_BulletHornet used for? I can't find it in ShipMaker.

11) Why do most of the bullet sprites have monochromatic grayscale versions?

If anyone else finds any other discrepancies or anything, feel free to add to the list.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
th15
Administrator

Re: Wierd Stuff in the Custom Sprites Folder

Post by th15 »

4) Why is the Pulse Gun's turret sprite just called "spr_Turret" and not "spr_Pulse"?
At one point it was the only gun in the game, then i just added stuff from there and never renamed it.

5) The Deflector sprite's name is misspelled (spr_Deflecctor).
By the time i'd found the typo all the game code already used that spelling so it wasn't worth the effort of going through all the code.

6) Why are there two Blaster turret sprites (one with the target laser on the top, one with it on the bottom) but in SM the only way to "flip" a blaster is to set it's y-scale to -1? The Sidewinder only has one sprite and a "Flip Sidewinder" option in its right-click menu; I doubt this would be hard to implement on the Blaster as well.
Blaster facing is randomized when the ship is spawned.

7) What is "spr_Tug" for? It looks like it was intended to be a ship core, but it's not in ShipMaker...
It was for a mission, then I abandoned that concept for that mission.

8) When making our own custom sprites, the instructions say that the sprites must all have a 1px solid-color border around the edge to be used as a transparency color. However, some of the other sprites don't have this and they work fine (examples include spr_ShipDeployer, which touches the left side, and spr_Deployer, which touches both the left and the right). Are the instructions incorrect? (Did I misread them?) Does the game only use the pixel in the top-left as the transparency color?
Bottom left pixel, but having a border is good because it allows the interpolation to work properly, if you go up to the edge it will have a hard edge.

9) A bunch of the turret sprites have a green background color for transparency. This would be understandable if they needed to show black areas, but none of them have any. Why is this? Were they the sprites used in the first-ever version of BSF and were never changed to a black background?
Some, umm corruption, don't ask how it happened.

10) What is spr_BulletHornet used for? I can't find it in ShipMaker.
It used to be a variant of the Demeter that would soak up bulets, essentially interceptor fighters. They were a little silly.

11) Why do most of the bullet sprites have monochromatic grayscale versions?
for colourizing when you set custom colours.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Wierd Stuff in the Custom Sprites Folder

Post by Arcalane »

1) I can't find any turret or bullet sprites for the Flare Gun and the EMP Cannon, yet they show up just fine in ShipMaker. Are they built directly into the game program (no links to external sprites)?
- The custom sprites are actually a dump of the sprites from the game - it doesn't load everything from that folder. ;)

2) Inversely, I found a turret and beam sprite for a weapon called a Targeting Laser. However, there is no such device available in ShipMaker. Was this part of a previous release that got removed from the game but left in the folder? Or is it planned for a future release but is already in the folder?
- The targeting laser was a pseudo-weapon to be used with drivers; a silent yet noticeable targeting beam, really. I had to drop that work due to time constraints and haven't had the inspiration to revisit it just yet.

3) There are two sprites for targeting crosshairs, spr_BeamTargetHit and spr_BeamTargetShoot. Why are there two of them? Was one intended for use with the Targeting Laser? And why is spr_BeamTargetHit a lot bigger than spr_BeamTargetShoot?
- The "shoot" sprite is drawn at the emitter, whilst the "hit" sprite is drawn on the target.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ