Vista With Battleships Forever.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

penguinmayhem
Ensign
Ensign

Post by penguinmayhem »

Sponge wrote:Petulant child? What the fuck are you on about? For whatever reason, Vista thought it would be neat to give me two Programs Files folders. One of them has a (x86) after it. Actually, it could have been Asus, as well, as I didn't feel the need to pay $100 extra to have the retailer give me a clean install without Asus's proprietary software. Long story short, I wanted to put things in "Program Files," and not "Program Files(x86)." Every time I would move something, Vista would bitch. I'd get everything where I wanted, open up the folder again, and discover Vista moved everything back for me. This goes for subfolders, too. Everything, anywhere, inside Program Files was under Vista's domain. It would randomly mark the entire thing read only, even after I repeatedly told it not to. It got to the point where I was about to take the damn thing back, and request they reload it with XP. Sure enough, turning off UAC solved every problem I was having, and it's worked perfectly since.

Unless you have some viable suggestion, preferably with a basis in fact, I urge you to let me do whatever the fuck with my computer. Program Files is not a system folder, and even if it were, I know enough about Windows to not fuck it up. I don't appreciate being referred to as a petulant child, and I don't appreciate people harping on me if they have no idea what they're talking about.
I certainly haven't had any problems involving Vista randomly changing shit about in my folders and making things read-only. That's just your computer. That's not Vista.
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Lord-General Thunder wrote:That'd be Asus giving you a computer with a really shitty configuration. I apologize for jumping on you like that.
Sorry about my hasty response. You caught me in a lousy mood, but that's no excuse. I overreacted.
penguinmayhem wrote:That's just your computer. That's not Vista.
I've said it [multiple times] before, and I'll say it again. Disabling UAC fixed the problem entirely. UAC = Vista. I don't doubt that Asus's crappy install played into the problem, but without UAC, the issue goes away entirely.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Vista users with UAC on still get that goddamn Conficker worm and other variant worms.

It's more of a thorn to users than it is to the serious viruses.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lord-General Thunder wrote:I always think its hilarious when some petulant child whines about UAC and in doing so proves that they really have no idea what they're actually complaining about. :lol:

So I hear you like moving files around in system folders? Swell.
Right, because my D, E and F drives (which are all partitions of the same drive and nowhere near my C partition which holds the OS) are all clearly system folders that must be protected by the UAC 24/7. :roll:

Regardless, safe surfing + other system protection = hey look I've never caught anything bad on my PC ever. Perhaps you should try the same thing, instead of clicking random links and installing shit from sources you can't be 99.99% sure of their safety.

But anyway, this isn't the "complain about Vista" thread, is it now? :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
AnnihilatorX
Commander
Commander

Post by AnnihilatorX »

Sorry if this is been rectified.

Majority game problem with new Vista PC is when people forgot to install DirectX 9 runtime, which is not installed by default for Vista.
X-14
Commander
Commander

Post by X-14 »

AnnihilatorX wrote:Sorry if this is been rectified.

Majority game problem with new Vista PC is when people forgot to install DirectX 9 runtime, which is not installed by default for Vista.
This is the problem with vista. Usually DirectX 9 runtime isn't installed on Vista. But i have Vista x64 Version, didn't installed DirectX 9 runtime and i have no problem with this game.
on the contrary.
The game works better as on my new PC with WinXP. I don't know why. :)
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

X-14 wrote:
AnnihilatorX wrote:Sorry if this is been rectified.

This is the problem with vista. Usually DirectX 9 runtime isn't installed on Vista. But i have Vista x64 Version, didn't installed DirectX 9 runtime and i have no problem with this game.
on the contrary.
The game works better as on my new PC with WinXP. I don't know why. :)
Gj necroing. Enjoy your warning.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ