Limpet Mines

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

VNilla
Commander
Commander

Limpet Mines

Post by VNilla »

Okay, I was browsing the Custom Sprites folder and I found something called a "Limpet Mine."
It looks like this (without the green): Image
(Original sprite at C:/Program Files/Battleships Forever/Custom Sprites/Stock Misc/spr_LimpetMine.gif) In Career mode, enemy ships will sometimes drop these when they are destroyed. They just sit around until you fly into them, at which point they latch on to your hull and blink for a while before exploding and destroying hull sections. I was wondering how the enemy ships make them if there was some way to make your own ships make them (on command if possible; like with a deployer module or something).

Also, I know I've heard the name "limpet mine" before, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I heard it from.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Actually they're specifically 'laid' by enemy ships during a mission by way of scripting. There is no way to make your own.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

Grr. Darn. They're annoying as hell and I'd like to be able to make them annoying for the other side, too.

Is there even a slight chance of getting a Limpet Module or similar in some later update or am I just screwed in this category?
~~~~~
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
parameciumkid
Commander
Commander

Post by parameciumkid »

I agree, a limpet mine layer would be a good weapon for the next version.
There's room to go beyond with the concept with all sorts of bomb-dropping-type weapons like better asteroid launchers and such.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Its not that hard.
The easiest way to make a mine is a Demeter with low speed(can't seem to do decimals...), long lifetime, and short range but high damage. Supposedly we can now change the sprite used in the Demeter, but it doesn't work for me thus far.
The other way is to make a mine in ship maker and have your ship deployer be your mine dispenser. Same thing; no speed, short range, high damage or kamikaze mode. You can make it look like whatever you want.
Only difference between them is that a demeter will just damage what hits it, while a deployed ship can be packed with sections for shock damage.

I'm sure there are other ways too.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Yea I have seen someone do kamikaze mines that worked fairly well. The Limpet Mines in the game are just a one-off gimmick for that level.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Problem with those is that ships tend to just shoot them, and with no spin velocity transferred to the mines, making them actually damage anything without using dieterlings is problematic as well.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

@ You hearing the name "Limpet Mine" before, it's probably from C&C Tiberian Sun.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Limpet Mines are not exactly a complex concept. They're simply mines that attach themselves to targets after they've been laid, usually through magnets and suchlike.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

First: Mine Deployer FTW!

Second: Thank you, Lizzie. Your mention of C&C Tiberian Sun, while not where I had heard the term originally, reminded me of where I had: it was mentioned in a plot summary of one of the James Bond movies (the one where Bond and a Chinese woman put the little mines all over the enemy's ship but get caught at it, if I recall correctly? It's been a while since I read that thing).
~~~~~
~~~~~
AllStarZ
Captain
Captain

Post by AllStarZ »

VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

Those are the animals from which the name was taken. We were discussing the explosive devices. They stick to surfaces like limpets, but are remotely detonated.

...Unless you were trying to show us where the name came from, in which case I apologize for wasting a perfectly good soapbox.
~~~~~
~~~~~
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Lizzie wrote:@ You hearing the name "Limpet Mine" before, it's probably from C&C Tiberian Sun.
I knew it.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
lemm
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lemm »

Lizzie wrote:@ You hearing the name "Limpet Mine" before, it's probably from C&C Tiberian Sun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_mine#Limpet_mines

When were there boats in Tiberian Sun? I remember Navy Seal guys in Red Alert 2 sinking battleships with limpet mines...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Firestorm added "limpet mines" that could be deployed near enemy tiberium fields. When deployed, the mines were cloaked, and would latch on to any vehicle that passed next to or over them. A limpeted vehicle revealed enemy territory and moved slower - the limpet could only be removed by a Service Depot/Repair Vehicle.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ