More realistic thruster actions - force and moment

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

AnnihilatorX wrote:I am not trying to change the ship movement. I am only trying to make the thruster display the effects realistically, changing the effect intensity and firing by determining mathematically the magnitude of fire.
But we would have to in order to get some of the fancy new variables needed for proper thruster vector calculation. This is where the problems come in. We're not recoding the entire ship movement system just for some slightly more accurate thrusters.
AnnihilatorX wrote:The general impression I get from you guys is GM programming is rocket science saying that is impossible and that is impossible, and nothing seems programmable in GM. If that's the case then GM is totally useless and should be avoided in BSF2.
No shit it's being avoided in BSF2. That's being coded by an actual company, so of course it's going to be in a relatively decent language.
AnnihilatorX wrote:If you are interested I can write you some code in pseudo language in detail and show you how simple it is and if there's technical difficulty barring the implementation then that's fine.That's all I want to say.
We're not saying it's hard to do what you say. We're saying it's impossible to implement it due to the way ship movement works currently. End of story.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Dark.Revenant
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dark.Revenant »

If you're not using vectors... What the hell are you using? It doesn't exactly seem like your method is the easiest.
[url=http://comclan.co.cc/forums]My empire[/url]
manictiger
Ensign
Ensign

My reply

Post by manictiger »

I'm not going to claim I have an inkling of programming experience, because I don't, but I do know the general concept of how games and applications work, so here goes.

I think that AnnihilatorX should have tackled something a little more likely to happen than a pretty large modification to an intimidatingly integrated part of the game engine [at least it looks pretty well integrated from the way I perceive the game to function].

To the point: I think that there should be an option to set more values to the engines for when the ship reaches a certain velocity value in a certain direction. For example: Let's say that I want to set a left thruster at 45 degree backwards [attempting to mimic a large scale thrust vectoring propulsion system]. I would set the thrust sprite to have a length of 0.5:1 when going forward, 0:1 [off] when left turning reaches 0.3 and 1.5:1 when right turning reaches 0.3. [A left thruster would effect turning right].

I do also agree with whomever said that there are bigger fish to fry [like the last two missions in the campaign, what happened?], so if you know that it is too much coding for too little reward, then don't bother with the above said idea.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It's really not going to happen any time soon. Kaelis can explain why your suggestion/s won't work.

But yes, far too much coding for too little reward.

Finally, next time, make your first post on a topic that isn't over two weeks old, mmkay? ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ