Mini Fleets. Do Arca's thing instead.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Would you be interested?

Yes
86%
There should be multiple options, but having a "No" option for this would be pointless
14%

Total votes: 51

Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Exethalion wrote:
Whyarecarrots wrote: Are there any other sprites I should have downloaded first (I couldn't see anything about it in the original post: sorry if I've missed anything)
Thanks
LS should be tweaking them so the judges don't require custom sprites. Anyway, go to this thread and download the shields, extract them to your custom sprites folder and the sprite you need, TBE_Shield0.png, should be there, and the ship should work.
Ahh, thanks: I thought the initial post had said that had already been done, but I must have misinterpreted.
Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

Eugh, sorry for the double post and continued nuisance-making, but it still doesn't seem to be working.

edit: Moved to bug report thread
Last edited by Whyarecarrots on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Dunno. Not really sure why that's happening >.> Not really the place for it either. Would probably go in troubleshooting, yah? And sorry for the lack of clarification on the sprites thing.
Also, just a general statement: The balancing fix is going to be delayed a bit :? sorry. Combination of sickness and papers slowing it down
Whyarecarrots
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Whyarecarrots »

lightstriker wrote:Dunno. Not really sure why that's happening >.> Not really the place for it either. Would probably go in troubleshooting, yah? And sorry for the lack of clarification on the sprites thing.
Also, just a general statement: The balancing fix is going to be delayed a bit :? sorry. Combination of sickness and papers slowing it down
Ahh, sorry: I'll move it over there now.
Aerth Child
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Aerth Child »

Thank the binary gods that someone finally understands the merit in having a balanced fleet, vs a single undefeatable ship.

Just FYI, those people include everyone who plays BSF at my school except me.
[quote=God]I can see what you're doing, and it's pissing me off![/quote]
2500kgm3
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by 2500kgm3 »

I think we should make an index of ships/fleets which have adopted this balancing standard, so we find them in with much less effort and have many more ships to balance ours against, other than the standard fleet provided.

And I am waiting for carrier rules and ships to balance against, since I am nearly done with the first ships of my loricentii fleet, but are still undecided of which balancing standard to use. I was balancing my fleet for standard game balance, but since I see this is growing, I might jump on the bandwagon if I see fleets with a battle behaviour appealing to me here -can't wait to have a preliminar download of the Knights of the Baseline Frequency to see how they behave in battle and be able to use them for balance-.
VORLON SHIPBUILDER

Visit the Babylon5 Fleet page, now with 32 different ships all in scale with each other in both size and firepower.

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1768/]Visit the shipyards and download the fleet![/url]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

There are no fleets yet that have really adopted this standard, as the standard is still being worked on :). Once there are some, I would be happy to try and keep an index of participating ships/ fleets.

I'm going to try and finish up balancing tonight or tomorrow, and have a couple people look at it for me. Once that's done, I'll post it up.

edit: @Squishy: And I'm probably the slowest of them all :D which is a problem.
Last edited by lightstriker on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

We're all working on our mini-fleets.

Some of us more slowly than others.
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

I think he means that there are no fleets that are finished enough that they are balanced to the standard, not that nobody's making any fleets.
Mine's coming along well, though I'll be looking into balancing next, before building more ships. Hopefully with two fleets (including LS's), it'll be easier for others to balance theirs.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Alright, I'm done!...sorta
I've DRASTICALLY lowered the overall upscale, and smoothed out the curve of ship powers a bit (you're still going to have trouble winning w/ corvettes vs frigates, for example, but at least it's now possible). Ships are generally a bit less extreme as well.
However, due to various issues with dreadnoughts, I will only be uploading one for now (as well as one example of a "flagship")
Please expect carriers shortly (I know, I know, I've said that a lot...)
So, um... yeah
Any comments or criticisms, please tell me, as usual. Download is in the first post, as well as Here

edit 2: Alright, Dreads and Cruisers fixed. All downloads up again, and correct now.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Carriers are up, for Corvette-Cruiser size class. Downloads are in the normal places (including the link in the post just above this one)
They AI handles them VERY poorly on my computer, but that could just be me (BSF has some odd issues on my comp). In any case... yah ~.~ Here you go.
There are probably a couple bugs with them, as my debugging attempts eventually led to me screaming in rage and punching something (please note that this is, honest to god, not an exaggeration :/) if there are any, tell me, I'll do what I can. If not... yipee.

If you want to make a dreadnought class carrier, feel free to do so. I have faith in you.

With this released, the entire balanced fleet is (basically) done. Have fun. I'm going to start working on a fleet that I actually want to now, but I will come back and look at this from time to time. Any changes I make to it, I'll make note of in the main post (and mention as an addendum to any posts I make here, probably).

tl;dr version:
Carriers up, download place normal
No dread carrier, you want? I trust you make good.
fleet done now. I work other thing.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Ugh. Broadside AI sucks. I've had to add additional frontal weapons to compensate for the fact that the Aberconway keeps facing forwards. I've also had problems trying to balance the nukes (torpedos). I may well just remove them and buff up the standard munitions. Otherwise it's pretty much done.

At the moment it can destroy a Wrath Of The Wind, this may be due to silly AI though. Ideally I want the fight to be evenly matched wihout having to lower damage output. However I've kept lowering the core HP and have now removed all deflectors and still the Aberconway wins. oh well.

Strengths of the ship are:
-High damage output.
-Can sustain a one-on-one duel for some time.
-Long range weaponry.
-Many small munitions can overwhelm point defences.

Weaknesses:
-Obselete point defence systems.
-Weak armour plating.
-Vulnerable when attacked on multiple vectors.
-Very slow and poor maneuverability.
-No shielding.
-Relies upon several key weapons for most damage output.

As soon as I get this ship sorted, a fleet shouldn't be that hard to complete.
Last edited by Exethalion on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Exethalion wrote:I may well just remove them and nerf up the standard munitions.
You're an idiot, Exe. Nerfing something makes it worse. If you're making it better, you're buffing it. :roll:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Arcalane wrote:
Exethalion wrote:I may well just remove them and nerf up the standard munitions.
You're an idiot, Exe. Nerfing something makes it worse. If you're making it better, you're buffing it. :roll:
Oh bla bla bla. :mrgreen:
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

I think the first post could stand being more clear on size suggestions.
I keep forgetting wether we're measuring in diameter or radius. Dx
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~