Mini Fleets. Do Arca's thing instead.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Would you be interested?

Yes
86%
There should be multiple options, but having a "No" option for this would be pointless
14%

Total votes: 51

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I could make some small sections for you guys, i just need to know what kind of sections they should be - im out of ideas myself.
If you could make some of those concave sections, but smaller, I'd give this mini fleet thing a try. might as well hop on the bandwagon.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

~~

~~

;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

@Arca: Very cool :)
Also, new balancing fleet released. Please see the top of the first post. Thank you.

edit: Judges DL will be updated in a second. Please watch the main post.
edit 2: It's up. Check out the schmancy new first post layout >.>
Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Darlos9D »

I noticed that the balanced fleet has some pretty ridiculous ranges on its weapons, way past normal vanilla content ranges. Is there going to be any particular balancing concerning that? It seems sort of silly to have ships that just blast each other from opposite edges of the battle area.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I noticed that the balanced fleet has some pretty ridiculous ranges on its weapons, way past normal vanilla content ranges. Is there going to be any particular balancing concerning that? It seems sort of silly to have ships that just blast each other from opposite edges of the battle area.
the deviation on shots has been significantly decreased, and so has the number of hits to kill a ship, so it all balances out I think. then again, it's not like I've done loads of testing
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

well, these aren't really normal stock ships :/ and no, there won't be any balancing on it, it's really up to you.
However, you'll note that most of the balanced fleet ships with "rediculous ranges" are those that have the suffix "Storm". This means that they're designed to be missile support craft. The mainline fighters generally have much lower ranges.
Plus, we're not necessarily going to be using 2048x2048 arenas :) as well, having craft that can far out range one another adds to the strategic play.
And, as firestorm said, the further away you are, the less consistent your accuracy. Their are definitely going to be some close-ranged slugfests
Wicky_42
Captain
Captain

Post by Wicky_42 »

Lightstriker, are you sure you havn't used some custom sections or renamed your default folders?

I get an error looking for '\Misc_sprites\spr_Civilian.png' when I try to open up any of your sample fleet, and if I copy the 'Stock Misc' folder and rename it I get this endless error:

Code: Select all

for object ShipSection:

Error in code at line 12:
     (tr_ontype != 0 || tr_offtype != 0) ) then

at position 5: Unknown variable tr_ontype
Not particularly helpful - anyone able to load these? Is there a sprite pack that you're using, or is some folder named wrong?
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4014]Terran Republic[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2792]HW2 Hiigaran Navy[/url]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

hm... I'll look again, but... I haven't changed any folder names :/
edit: Yeah, those are the default sprite and folder names it looks like? What is yours?
edit2: Shit, realized the problem. I got to run to school now. If you want to manually edit w/e files you really need, that's fine. I'll do it myself when I get back.
Sorry :/
Darlos9D
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Darlos9D »

There's similar problems with the judge ships not loading shield sections. Kind of a problem if I want to actually judge anything.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." ~Edmund Burke
Lloyd16
Commander
Commander

Post by Lloyd16 »

maybe we should do something with these ships when they are done. maybe have something like the 'great war' idea i read about.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

On the judge ships,lightstriker placed the shields directly to the custom sprites folder rather than create a TBE folder and stuff them in there.
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

Going to be a while before I can get a fleet done since I've just been landed with a ton of work and assignments and crap. But I really do want to get this fleet finished, so it WILL come, just...not yet.
Lloyd16 wrote:maybe we should do something with these ships when they are done. maybe have something like the 'great war' idea i read about.
That's been tried a few times before and it doesn't work very well, they were cancelled soon after starting. But with the balancing of fleets already done perhaps there'll be a head start this time round.
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Yes, sorry.
The problem with the civilian core will be fixed shortly.

I'll try and fix the dreadnought class judge (it was made on another computer, where I hadn't set up the folders correctly, sorry ) :cry:
so, uh... yeah
the other judges SHOULD be fine though, yah?

edit: oh, and in response to the great war thing...
I'm pretty horrendous at RPs. I can usually keep things organized decently well (sorry about the shoddy start to this, I sorta started it at a hectic time in my life), so I would be happy to try and get something of that sort running, if a good number of people would like to do so. However, I would, if possible: 1) like to actually see some fleets get done before we start really discussing what is going to come after :D more out of personal preference than anything and 2) Would not actually be participating in the rp myself (besides organizational stuff).
However, whatever people want to do with this is pretty much fine with me :) I'm just hoping to see SOMETHING come out of it.

edit 2: They're up. As well, download now has 2 more ships.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Its doesn't have to be a great war, it could be maybe a timed strategical game, where maybe 8 people enter, with 5 systems each. Every day or two days, a PM is made to the game runner, detailing Things to build (what class of ships), where to move fleets. The game runner does this. 12 hours after, (or 24 in a two-day format) a map is displayed with the appropriate updates.

Movement of fleets would happen like this:

(PM to Game runner)

Please move:

1x Dreadnaught,
3x Corvette, to star <name>.

~~

However, movements could not occur like, go anywhere.

Example:

O--------O-------O

On the left is your star, the middle is an enemy star, and the right is where you wish to go. It would take two turns.

One to go and take the enemy star, and then one to move to your destination. (which, seeing as the map is full, will be another enemy star, most likely.

When a battle occurs, the game runner creates an encounter, with the ships selected by the attacker assaulting the ships of the defender.

When the battle is done, (this requires total neutrality by the runner, no shortcuts for freinds.) the runner posts the results and maybe a picture in an 'events' Section.

~~

Of course, these Ideas need a ton of refinement and dedication. But I am sure it could be done.

Maybe there could be like an Orders / actions phase. one set of 24 hours is given to collecting all the people's orders together. Then the next set of 24 is given to the runner to do all the things needed. This would also allow for people of different timezones to play effectively and within their comfort zones.

Maybe it is a halfbaked Idea. I just put these Ideas down because I am doing a similar thing (read: totally different) thing on another game.
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

That's actually a pretty cool idea with the galaxy battle mode. I could probably snatch a few star maps from a game I play.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/bizzarecoyote][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/bizzarecoyote.png[/img][/url]