Bug? Error? Purposefully?

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

gopa4
Commander
Commander

Bug? Error? Purposefully?

Post by gopa4 »

I've recently encountered an unusual error with the new version of BSF, on the opening combat screen the lasers and weapons fired cause the whole screen to go white. I've restarted thinking that may help, but nothing. That problem has fixed its self out, how idk. But a new one has arrisen, the frame rate won't go over around 8.
duestchland1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by duestchland1 »

well the blanking out of your screen is a bit unusual, though I can provide an explanation for your low frame rates.
Your computer sucks :lol:
I lost my avatar because I made it too big.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

For the frame rate,I've found the major culprit is surfaces,if you turn them off frame rate will flare back up,unfortunately you won't be able to see some weapon effects.(such as tesla lightning :cry: )
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

Ok I'll try that, but a 2 section ship with one weapon bringing the frame rate down so much? I don't think so. I was able to run several 40+ piece ships before and it wouldn't drop at all. When they began firing than yah it would go down to around 28 or so.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Its a bug with surfaces. Turning them off should indeed help.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Or turn on the Nvidia control panel preview. That clears it up for me, for some reason. You can keep surfaces on afterwards.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
gopa4
Commander
Commander

Post by gopa4 »

Turning off surfaces did it for me, even got rid of the weird spreading laser plasma thing that reappeared.
warhammer651
Commander
Commander
Location: i'll giv you a hint. it's somewhere in the vicinity of the third planet from the sun

Post by warhammer651 »

Skull13 wrote:Or turn on the Nvidia control panel preview. That clears it up for me, for some reason. You can keep surfaces on afterwards.
wait, do what now?
if everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.......idiot.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Typically this problem happens with nVidia graphics cards. For some reason, bringing up the nVidia graphics options menu with the video preview resets the way Battleships Forever handles surfaces to the correct method.

To get to the preview, right-click on desktop > nvidia control panel > adjust image settings with preview.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

th15 wrote:Typically this problem happens with nVidia graphics cards.
It depends on the driver version you have installed. The version I have installed on my older PC, version 178.24, does not cause the error. Every version over 180.xx that I have used has caused black areas to appear on sprites which should be transparent. The problem also seems to affect another game, Icewind Dale 2. EDIT: Actually, it affects all Infinity Engine games (Baldurs Gate series, Planescape: Torment, etc.).
Last edited by M123 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scytheron
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scytheron »

For some odd reason, I can't seem to make it go full screen... It's really odd to me, and kind of annoying because I always play everything full screen, and it only shows the start bar when it's not...

ah well... any suggestions? I'm running an HP Mini 1035, with XP.

~Levi
Statesmen should be required to actually READ the Constitution before running for office.
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

Look under the Options menu in the game and see if "Fullscreen" is set to "Off."
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

@Scytheron: If that's a netbook, then your screen probably doesn't support 1024x768. (BSF's only supported resolution)