Helios Scandal

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Helios Scandal

Post by Hypothetical Wisdom »

The 'Choose Your Ships' Menu wrote:Equipped with four flak guns, the Helios provides fleet-level active defense capabilities. Capable of completely nullifying blaster fire from even large ships.
LIES! :lol: I just put the Helios up against an asteroid platform in Raid, and the Helios LOST! ROFL. Mind you, this was when the Helios was only in range of one of the blaster cannons of the asteroid. Maybe the Helios would have won if there weren't particle gun-equipped civilians interepting all my blaster fire, but still! The four flak guns didn't come close to 'completely nullifying' the blaster's fire. I claim false advertising, but that's just me :lol: . I dunno, maybe the Helios is designed to take on ships that are putting out a lot of fire. What do you guys think? Does the Helios live up to its requtation?
Will work for kewl sig/av

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

It was specifically designed to be able to take on ships with large amounts of firepower but have problems with smaller amounts of incoming fire.

You can try switching the Helio's guns to offensive mode though (press I), then it'll shred most of the pirate ships.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Yeah, ok, thanks :mrgreen: . It occured to me while I was writing that post that that might be the case :) . Btw, on the subject of stock ships, do you plan to add any more stock ships to incorporate the new weapons and such? Or are things just going to stay the way that they are as far as stock ships go?

[i]There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.[/i]
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Helios Scandal

Post by Slayer0019 »

Hypothetical Wisdom wrote:all my blaster fire
All one of it.
Don't rely solely on Helios's (Helii?) for your point defense. The best way to use them is to take out a significant chunk of incoming fire and have your particle guns deal with whatever remains.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Yeah, I know. I was just messing around in sandbox mode to kill some time.

Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

If you want to make your fleet practically immune to projectiles, combine a Helios with a Tmolus. Or use an Eos as your battleship.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Or you could just go by the old adage: Attack is the best form of defence. :P
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

You could also snipe the enemy turrets off with Lancets.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
bien4500
Commodore
Commodore

Post by bien4500 »

Helioses (Helii?) work better in packs with a Cronus or Hecate for support, while Hestias provide most of the firepower.
Hypothetical Wisdom
Commander
Commander

Yeah, ok. I guess the Helios just isn't designed as a "rambo ship".

Also, maybe th15 can give us some clarification on the correct plural form of 'Helios'. And Cronus, Tmolus, Proteus, Thetis, Zelus, and Eos, for that matter.

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Being Greek, their plurals are almost certainly "ii", like Cronii, Tmolii, Thetii and such, with a couple of exceptions like the Hestia, which might pluralize to Hestiae or something. Kinda like Romans. Julius, Julii. Brutus, Brutii. Aaaand so on.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

I cringe every time I read a plural that ends in ii. Even when it's the right way, I refuse to write it.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Arcalane wrote:Kinda like Romans. Julius, Julii. Brutus, Brutii. Aaaand so on.
Someone's playing a bit too much R:TW. ~.~
I'll Scipii your Brutii with my Julii. :'3
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Chiiro wrote:
Arcalane wrote:Kinda like Romans. Julius, Julii. Brutus, Brutii. Aaaand so on.
Someone's playing a bit too much R:TW. ~.~
Oh no you won't;

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Aerth Child
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Aerth Child »

Chiiro wrote:Someone's playing a bit too much R:TW. ~.~
What is R:TW?
Hypothetical Wisdom wrote:Yeah, ok. I guess the Helios just isn't designed as a "rambo ship".

Also, maybe th15 can give us some clarification on the correct plural form of 'Helios'. And Cronus, Tmolus, Proteus, Thetis, Zelus, and Eos, for that matter.
My guess is that the plural is the same as the singular, like in Moose and the like. Although, I'm no English major, so it's a mere guess.
[quote=God]I can see what you're doing, and it's pissing me off![/quote]