Ship part limit/Sandbox size changing

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ship part limit/Sandbox size changing

Post by codenemisis »

Hey guys. I just started building a space station, but they way it's going im afraid I won't have enough parts.
I had heard that there were limits on both size and the amounts of ships parts some where but I can't seem to find them, if there are any.

Also, is there anyway to change the size of the sandbox to fit a larger fleets of ships? I had been messing with something about the size, but the sandbox never got any bigger, so if you could tell me how to expand it that would be appriciated as well.

Thanks in advance.
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Use the arrowkeys to move around the shipmaker. You can make much larger ships then.
codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by codenemisis »

I'm aware of that.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

while you can only scroll the camera so far, as I understand it, you can use group movement of sections to move pieces outside the viewable area. also, if you are using the modified ship maker, the build area has been increased.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by codenemisis »

Okay, thank you.
What about the amount of each individual part I can have? Or is there no limit to how many sections i can place?
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

There is no limit to amount of sections. Only to the size of the sandbox and SM building area.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by codenemisis »

Okay, that's all. Thank you.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

ArcaneDude wrote:There is no limit to amount of sections. Only to the size of the sandbox and SM building area.
Um... what?

Okay, this is one of the dumbest statements ArcaneDude has made lately.

There is a limit to the amount of sections you can have on a ship, for one. After you reach around 1700 sections on a ship, or a bit more, it will no longer load in game. SM building area size cannot be changed, but the Sandbox size CAN BE.

*smacks ArcaneDude on the head for being a daft fucking git*

You can resize the Sandbox by right-clicking on the Sandbox button, and then editting the two fields that come up. They are the size of Sandbox by pixels. 2042x2042 is the default, I think. You can set it up as high as 10,000x10,000 or even higher.

Really, I don't see how ArcaneDude forgot this. Dumbass.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by codenemisis »

Okay, thanks again. Will it begin to lag a lot if i did put it at around 10k or is it roughly the same FPS as the default size?

Also, is there anyway to tell the amount of sections alerady placed in the shipmaker?
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

Okay, thanks again. Will it begin to lag a lot if i did put it at around 10k or is it roughly the same FPS as the default size?
Yes and no. If I just have that sized sandbox with no ships in it, I can run at 30 frames per second, but you can notice a performance drop if you put ships in or if you remove the FPS limit. Point is, it will take more computing power to run.

also, default is 2048 X 2048 (IE: 1024 times 2)
Also, is there anyway to tell the amount of sections already placed in the shipmaker?
To do that, just click on the box with the ship name, HP, etc, and click on ship summary at the bottom. It will give you plenty of statistics, including the section count.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Anna wrote:
ArcaneDude wrote:There is no limit to amount of sections. Only to the size of the sandbox and SM building area.
Um... what?

Okay, this is one of the dumbest statements ArcaneDude has made lately.

*snip*

Really, I don't see how ArcaneDude forgot this. Dumbass.
I didn't. He asked whether there was a limit on the amount of sections that could be used for a ship, he didn't ask anything about performance or loading problems. That, and I don't expect him to actually try and build a ship of 1700+ sections, thankyaverymuch, Anna.

You're right about sandbox size, though. Sloppy of me.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

ArcaneDude wrote:I didn't. He asked whether there was a limit on the amount of sections that could be used for a ship, he didn't ask anything about performance or loading problems.
Don't be a smartass. If it stops WORKING after that point, then clearly that's a limit.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Slayer0019
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Slayer0019 »

Not that I'm qualified, but as I understand it, if he wants to build a 3000 part ship, the sandbox won't stop him, hence, no limit.
Using the ship is a different story than just building it.
Got Steam?
Join the official BSF Steam group today!

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z148/JohnDG/sig-1.png[/img]
codenemisis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by codenemisis »

Hehe, no, i don't think anyone did, hell, i don't think they really want me too. XD It's a space station, and I think it is coming along quite nicely actually, though I am sure others would disagree. Perhaps I'll post pics later.

Anyway, when new BSF is released, whenever that might be, will there be a section limit as well?

Also, you said it will stop loading sections, does this mean for that ship, or for all ships spawned in the sandbox? I need to shoot at my station with something to test it! XD