The Troubleshooting Thread

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Firestorm, did you by any chance use group clone and group move on the section the Megabeams were parented to? For some reason doing so sometimes reverses the weapons are of fire and makes the weapon backwards in game while in the shipmaker it was facing the correct way.

I reported this bug in the old thread. As far as I know there is no way to fix the affected weapons except by deleting them and replacing them individually.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

um, that would be a big yes. also, I checked all of the headings, and while SM shows them facing the right way, the numbers speak differently. I'll see if I can fix it.

will negative values in the facing cause problems?
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

FIREST0RM000 wrote:um, that would be a big yes. also, I checked all of the headings, and while SM shows them facing the right way, the numbers speak differently. I'll see if I can fix it.

will negative values in the facing cause problems?
Possibly, if that's the case, if each interval is 0.10, to make it disappear you shrink it ten time (OBVIOUSLY) do it an 11th time and suddenly the sprite grows by 0.10 facing the other direction.

AidanAdv, awesome avi.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

O.K. I'm no idiot, but it appears as if I've done something wrong. on my new ship (no I'm not giving the name) I get this when I try to load it.

Error in code at line 29:
l_section[j].l_colour = global.colour[round((l_colour mod 1) * 10),argument7];

Any suggestions???
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Point beams: don't change the "bullet color" parameter.
Sections: don't set them to pure black.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Not sure if this is related to the site or my connection but i am having real problems downloading the game, I can only get to like 325 kb before it gives up.

Is it server side or just a rubbish connection?
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I'd say it's your connection, since noone else has ever reported this.

Also, my oh my, what a very original signature you have there.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that mine is also a quote, BUT IT GOES WITH THE AVATAR, DAMMIT.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Troedelboy
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Troedelboy »

I don´t know if it has occured before, but my Explorer doesn´t show the newer files I make with the Shipmaker anymore, the strange thing is the files are THERE, cause I can take them for a quick battle or modify them.
I really do not know what action produced that problem, but I´m quite sure I didn´t change anything between the Shipmaker functioning and the Shipmaker not functioning.
I hope you can help me with that mysterious problem.
If it helps, I use Vista.
Advises For Soldiers on the front:
Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
Military Intelligence is a contradiction.
Killing for peace is like screwing for virginity.
Battle Cruisers are the ultimate close support weapon.
The Cavalry doesn't always come to the rescue.
Nuke is an area support weapon.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I have the same problem. It happens after Vista install a certain kind of update, I think. Only way is to reinstall, or copy files from the SM/ the game itself. Like "spawn ship" --> right click ship file, copy to documents. Or something alike.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Troedelboy
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Troedelboy »

Thanks! I´ll definitely try that one. Do you know a way to stop that problem completely?
Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
Troedelboy
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Troedelboy »

the thing with the copy out of the game is not working. I´ll have to try the thing with reinstall
Edit: sorry doublepost
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

a bug that did not produce an error:

Basically, my pb's go berserk and attack sections as well as projectiles.

Steps: (in order)

created a new ship.
placed one blaster parented to the core.
used the e/r system to copy the following code onto the blaster (just fooling around) : weapon|PointBeam|180|-1|-1|1|-1|-1|10000|-1|-1||-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|-1|1|1

paused a custom game

opened up the ship vs a storm in game, the ship was set to enemy, the storm to allied.

set max range to 5k.

turned on ally control

unpaused.

the pb began attacking sections (and one shotting them).

what would cause this?

edit: upon testing in other situations, it does occur with allied ships, does not occur when controlled by a player.

edit2: upon closing and reopening the game, the bug went away. i remember having it a while back though, any idea what would cause it?
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

At least I know that I'm not the only one plagued by this. I can't say what causes it, but just replacing the point beams seems to remedy the problem.
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
Dreamyr
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Dreamyr »

Just had the oddest error, if you could call it that.

I was messing around with some new ships of mine last night before I went to bed at about 5:20 AM. So I saved them and left the editors open while I slept. No Big deal right?

Well apparently my computer thinks otherwise because now for some reason, and the above was the only reason I could think of, BF refuses to run in full screen mode. I haven't touched anything else and it was working fine yesterday but when I started it up today it said it was unable to run in full screen mode. I tried going into options and manually setting it back to full screen but it refused to do so and gave me the same message as before and then reverting back to windowed mode.

Has anyone run into this before and if so how do you fix it?
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Dreamyr wrote:Just had the oddest error, if you could call it that.

I was messing around with some new ships of mine last night before I went to bed at about 5:20 AM. So I saved them and left the editors open while I slept. No Big deal right?

Well apparently my computer thinks otherwise because now for some reason, and the above was the only reason I could think of, BF refuses to run in full screen mode. I haven't touched anything else and it was working fine yesterday but when I started it up today it said it was unable to run in full screen mode. I tried going into options and manually setting it back to full screen but it refused to do so and gave me the same message as before and then reverting back to windowed mode.

Has anyone run into this before and if so how do you fix it?
Hibernation, maybe? Did you leave it on all night or did you restart it? BSF doesn't like hibernation, so that might be part of it.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]