The Troubleshooting Thread

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Troubleshooting Thread

Post by ArcaneDude »

The idea is pretty simple; if you are experiencing problems with the game, please post them here, and we (the forum) will try to find out what is wrong and help you fix it.

Things that will help us in doing so;

*The error log; copypasta, folks!
*Your system statistics
*A detailed description of the error.

Please mind that not all problems can be fixed by us, simple forumites. Sometimes, you'll have to wait untill th15 pops in.

If you're looking for the old bugs topic, it is here.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
A_Lad_Insane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by A_Lad_Insane »

Was really enjoying this game.. installed then uninstalled something that seems to have taken more with it than I intended and now I get this error when I try to start :

for object GUI_MainTitle:

Error defining an external function.

I've tried reinstalling twice and still get this error... any thoughts?

running Vista Home Premium 32bit on an Acer Aspire M5100 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00ghz, video card is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro sorry if thats more info than necessary but I don't want to leave anything out that might be important *lol*

sorry if thats more info than necessary *lol*
A_Lad_Insane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by A_Lad_Insane »

Well for once "restart and try again" was the answer that ACTUALLY WORKED!!! imagine that...
so that problem is solved... any mod that wants to delete it and this reply it's fine with me.. I'm pretty sure that it was the Microsoft Live gaming redistributable that did it.. or whatever it is.. Vista's equivalent to Xbox Live.

A_Lad_Insane wrote:Was really enjoying this game.. installed then uninstalled something that seems to have taken more with it than I intended and now I get this error when I try to start :

for object GUI_MainTitle:

Error defining an external function.

I've tried reinstalling twice and still get this error... any thoughts?

running Vista Home Premium 32bit on an Acer Aspire M5100 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00ghz, video card is an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro sorry if thats more info than necessary but I don't want to leave anything out that might be important *lol*

sorry if thats more info than necessary *lol*
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Umm, BSF doesn't use the .net framework in any way. DirectX yes, .net no.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

That usually happens when you hibernate your computer before starting the game, or something like it. All it does is whine and let you play without background music, though.

To get through it, just press 'ignore' twice, then Ctrl, and then Shift+I for two seconds or so.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
A_Lad_Insane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by A_Lad_Insane »

Thankfully its cleared up... nice use of Richard as an avatar!..
ArcaneDude wrote:That usually happens when you hibernate your computer before starting the game, or something like it. All it does is whine and let you play without background music, though.

To get through it, just press 'ignore' twice, then Ctrl, and then Shift+I for two seconds or so.
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

ArcaneDude wrote:That usually happens when you hibernate your computer before starting the game, or something like it. All it does is whine and let you play without background music, though.

THAT'S WHY I CAN'T PLAY MY MUSIC?!
Thanks, I FINALLY got an answer to my own question from the past ten months.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

i have the same problem. However, those key combinations don't work... any other ways to get around it?
edit: nm, i got it. That's annoying though :?
The Arbiter
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by The Arbiter »

Ok my problem is:

Just today when I started BSF,the explosions would not go away.

The explosions would just stay on the screen.I don't have a screenshot to show you this effect,sorry.

My system is:
DELL inspiron 1501(laptop)
Windows VISTA home Basic
ATI radeon Xpress 1500 (updated to latest drivers)
AMD Athlon 1.7 Dual core processor
Have about 10 gigs of free space left.
TormakSaber
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TormakSaber »

Oh bugger. I remember this bug before... I want to say it was something with surfaces being on or off.
The Arbiter
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by The Arbiter »

Well I got fixed,I just reinstalled it.

About surfaces-is this a option in my video card settings or the game itself?
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Post by DeathsHand »

OOC- Is it just me, or do the weapons look better without surfaces?

Anyways, on to my problem-
for object GUI_Misc:

Failed to play song -

Any of my music files that are larger, ie: over 5mb/9 minutes long. Same message every time :|
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Meh, the dll I used to play music is messed up, I'm supposed to switch to another music playback dll.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Spoot Knight
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: In the Vega star system, monitoring UCM defense movement.

Post by Spoot Knight »

DeathsHand wrote:OOC- Is it just me, or do the weapons look better without surfaces?
The thing with the Surfaces is the weapon effects look a lot cooler, but stuff like explosions from Titans being destroyed make the trails stay in place longer than they should, making the screen into a total cluster-fuck.
The United Commonwealth Military and Spootech Industries joint fleet.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/SpootKnight/Spootech/av-1.gif[/img]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1854]Spootech Industries - The Third Revision, upgrading to the Fourth Revision.[/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2273]How Spootech Industries came to be as it is now; the history of Spootech Industries ship making.[/url]
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

I'm not sure it is a glitch exactly, but I just made a space station (first pic in link on sig) that has several mega beam as main guns. I could not get them to fire forward at all. they were modded.
weapon|MegaBeam|3|5|5|75|10|1000|2000|0|1||64|45|1|0|-1|-1|-1|1.20|1.80

any ways, the only way they would fire is backwards. I've never had this problem before, but I have used similar weapons before so I'm confused

AMD Anthelon 3800+ prosseser
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS graphics
2 GB ram
XP media center 2005, running SP3
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy