The Troubleshooting Thread

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

You see, the amount of gut your ships have just depends from how brave your computer is.

You just have a very pansy computer. That's all.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

*delurk for actual helpfulness*

Zone21: It sounds like you're just setting the AI range too high. The standard sandbox is only 1 or 2 thousand units(pixels) across. Try making a brand new ship, leaving the AI range alone, and seeing if the problem persists? If it does, a clean reinstall of the game seems in order.

*relurk*
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
Zone21
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zone21 »

Thank you very much Siber. That was exactly it. I had tried to set the range to 400, but ended up setting the range to 4000. Everything is all good now guys. Thanks
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

Glad to be a help.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
XEALMOX
One-Ban Limit

WTF

Post by XEALMOX »

FIXED

just had to delete the turrets and start over with weapons that was all
Last edited by XEALMOX on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What is it your Borg friends say? Resistance is futile."
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

All that, from one station?!

Scrap, rebuild.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/bizzarecoyote][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/bizzarecoyote.png[/img][/url]
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'm making a station using, among other things, the mega boom sprite that came with the modified shipmaker. I often use the new sprites and never have trouble getting them to load, but this is the first time I've used this particular one. I get the following error in game, regardless of sprite size, color, or parenting order:

for object __newobject813:

Error in code at line 25:
nSec(-115,-175,spr_MegaBoomAlpha,2.30,2.30,0,-1,-1,12632256)

at position 16: Unknown variable spr_MegaBoomAlpha

Please let me know if you can help
M123
Captain
Captain

Post by M123 »

I think that sprite doesn't work because it contains a few pure black pixels, either that or BSF itself doesn't actually recognise it as a sprite...
XEALMOX
One-Ban Limit

Post by XEALMOX »

isn't MegaBoomAlpha a explosion i have used it in a station and had error's with it aswell
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

it is for the explosion, but its not animated from what I can tell. Sucks cuz I was so happy to find a ready made ring...Anyone know a way around this or is it hopeless?
XEALMOX
One-Ban Limit

Post by XEALMOX »

tried making it from a section first and colouring it in a bright colour... seems that fixed it for me
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I'm trying variations like you said but nothings working so far. Bullet driver mono also has a problem; If i stretch it more than a little it moves equivalently away from where its supposed to be. :evil: Its well accepted that nothing can be done to the actual shipmaker, but is there any reason that someone can't go back and fix the modified shipmaker?
Lynx
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Lynx »

Its this simple. sanbox dosent work! I select a ship I want to use, my curser changes to the place ship curser, I click to create the ship... And nothing happens! please tell me whats wrong, because I can't use ships I've built now, exept when you select sanbox mode in the minigame raid.

Lynx557
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

jwa8402 wrote:I'm trying variations like you said but nothings working so far. Bullet driver mono also has a problem; If i stretch it more than a little it moves equivalently away from where its supposed to be. :evil: Its well accepted that nothing can be done to the actual shipmaker, but is there any reason that someone can't go back and fix the modified shipmaker?
Welcome to the concept of what GM calls the "origin" of a sprite. If one was to change the origin coordinates in SM, the origin coordinates in BSF would have to be changed as well. And that would screw with drivers in the game as well.

This is simply unfixable. Sorry.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Thanks Arcalane, I appreciate the answer.
Lynx wrote:Its this simple. sanbox dosent work! I select a ship I want to use, my curser changes to the place ship curser, I click to create the ship... And nothing happens! please tell me whats wrong, because I can't use ships I've built now, exept when you select sanbox mode in the minigame raid.

Lynx557
More info would be helpful.
1)Once you click and nothing happens, does the game freeze or does the ship just not appear? When loading large ships, it can take up to several minutes to load if they have enough sections or you computer sucks enough.
2)Have you tried loading ships other than what you built? Like going into the custom ships folder and loading a Cronus or Leviathan?
3)What happens if you save and launch the ship straight from shipbuilder? At that point either the ship should load or you should get an error message.
4) Are you using the most current version, and or using the modified shipbuilder?