The Troubleshooting Thread

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

click on the icon to run the game. get the encountered a problem window, when i hit don't send it tells me that the game data is corrupt
either tell us what it says, or give us a screen shot. it isn't complicated. :? if you don't know how to take screen shots, you just press the "prt scrn" key at the top right of the keyboard, then paste into MS paint.

there could be a million things wrong with your shortcut; for now, try reinstalling the game.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
Samick
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Samick »

what part of "it tells me that the game data is corrupt" was unclear. Cause thats what it tells me and i have tried fresh installs of the game numerous times with the same result
IBurn36360
Commander
Commander

Post by IBurn36360 »

OS?

One other thing I have had a problem with is my firewall/spyware program Defender will actually attack some games as they are being opened, as well as block online games from being oppened. Check your program and tell it to ignore the files in the orriginal folder, other than that, I don't know what could be wrong.

*Edit:

Maybe a virus?
Alls Requiem, my current project, with many more to come. Feel free to critique my site as much as you please.
Samick
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Samick »

never had the firewall issue before with the game and i don't think that is that causing the problem. And i have no viruses.
warhammer651
Commander
Commander
Location: i'll giv you a hint. it's somewhere in the vicinity of the third planet from the sun

Post by warhammer651 »

more of a bug in the game.
in the sandbox: cannot spawn custom ships. no error message, they just don't spawn.
cannot spawn allied ships
in SM3: ctrl-S and "save ship and open sandbox" take to a sandbox mode without interface (just the field of stars) or open a windowwith nothing but the field of stars.
if everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.......idiot.
ChiefAlexander
Ensign
Ensign

Failed to intialize

Post by ChiefAlexander »

I try to play the game or run ShipMaker and I get this:

Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up-to-date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution.

I have a video card that is better then the requirements. I have updated Direct X. I guess I don't know what to do.

My computer has been having some problems. The OS files have been damaged and we are working on reinstalling windows.
Kill or Be Killed
DeathsHand
Captain
Captain

Tiny sun

Post by DeathsHand »

This isn't anything really needing fixing, but so far there's no thread dedicated to random BSF screen shots, so...

Try deleting the sun in destroy mode, it leaves you with a miniature that won't go away until you exit sandbox.
S͜͟t̷̀̀͟i̷͢ļ̸̕͞l̸̶͞ ̷̢͘͟l̡͟͝u̴̵̸͜͢r̴̸̨k͏͟į̨͜n̛g̸͢͝
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Ya, I found out about that a long time ago, it happens in encounter maker as well, when you right click on a sun. I was thinking of using that effect for encounters, but never got around to it.
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

<snip>
Delete a sun to make a black hole or pulsar!...Don't click the picture.

Mod Edit: User was warned for this post - posting an image that had been posted before only to make a retarded comment and tell people not to click on the image, which did in fact link to Wikipedia. Summary: Unnecessary/off-topic post, ergo spam. -Arc.
Asplode
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Asplode »

Hi guys,

I've been looking around the forums a fair bit, but I can't find any other newbies screaming about the same problem.

My problem is that when I go to load a custom ship (including the ones which come with BSF) in sandbox, I click 'open', click where I want the ship, and Nothing happens. Oh, and I can't spawn any other ships in sandbox afterwards, and the little ship icon doesn't go away.

This is very frustrating, as it makes testing my awful first ships completely impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Darkship
Captain
Captain

Post by Darkship »

If you are using v.089, then the problem has not been remedied at this time. It is best to revert to v.088 which can be found here.

If that is not your problem however, then i am not sure. Best provide the entry in the Error log so that people can better help you solve the problem.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3979][color=BLACK][b]Assorted Randomness[/b][/color][/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2727][color=Red][b]The Tal'Vorah Fleet[/b][/color][/url]
Asplode
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Asplode »

Thanks for your help Darkship, that was my problem. I'm downloading 0.88 now, should work!
Mahavir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mahavir »

Hey there, I have few simple questions. I were searching for proper topics, but couldn't find any, so I post it here rather than creating new topic.

1. Is there any possibility to play alien/pirate ships? (by importing them or something?).
2. How can I add standard ships at "create encounter" screen? There is only an option to import ships from a file, unlike in the sandbox mode.

Thank you in advance
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

Someone on the forums actually re-made all of the BSF official ships for just that purpose. I just can't remember where it is.
rocksolid142
Ensign
Ensign

im getting this error message, what should I do?

Post by rocksolid142 »

for object GUI_MainTitle:

Error opening file for appending.

EDIT:
I can play fine on an Admin account, but i don't have one, so thats kind of a problem
running on Windows XP, if you need to know for anything
"If you're good at something, don't do it for free..."
-The Joker