The Troubleshooting Thread

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

You need to have read/write access to the folder that you put the game in. You can try installing the game to your user documents folder or desktop and running it from there.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
rocksolid142
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rocksolid142 »

I just figured that out on my own, forgot bout post :)
"If you're good at something, don't do it for free..."
-The Joker
Ancient
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ancient »

I don't seem to be graced with an error file, but anyway...

I tried launching BSF, (both 0.89 and 0.88 versions), you get the little BSF screen, wait 30 seconds, then it says 'An unexpected error has been encountered running the game' or similar and that's that, no play for me :(

I've tried uninstall/re-install, the old game version (as above), running in '98 compatibility, delelting the two sound dll's, nothing works. Help!
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

Um Yeah...
This:

Any Ideas?
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
SHAD0Wdump
BANNED

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Do not turn off particles,turn them back on and this problem will go away.
Da_Higg
Captain
Captain

Post by Da_Higg »

SHAD0Wdump wrote:Do not turn off particles,turn them back on and this problem will go away.
Great, now everthing is super slow.
Look Up
upon reading this:
50% of people will have scrolled up
25% will have looked at their ceiling
The last 25% can now feel smug because everyone else has taken orders from a little sig box.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Da_Higg wrote:
SHAD0Wdump wrote:Do not turn off particles,turn them back on and this problem will go away.
Great, now everthing is super slow.
Try turning off surfaces. You'll lose the prettyness, but it should run faster.

If it don't, then I'm not sure whats next.
Zone21
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zone21 »

Well, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here is my problem:
I had made a couple noob-ish ships (AEGIS everywhere as well as every weapon spammed as much as the piece would allow without overlap). I set them against each other and they fought and killed and everything was good.

Well, after discovering these forums earlier today , I realized that people actually made real ships that didn't look like crap and decided I should do the same. I created some small drone ships and decided to test them. Much to my surprise, they backpedaled as fast as they could and ended up at opposite sides of the map, just sitting there. Confused, I decided that it was because I had made them too small and made a much bigger ship. It too retreated when set to battle. Then I decided it was because I set the AI to 4000. Changed it back to normal and same thing. Finally, I found out I was using v.88 and downloaded v.89 to see if that would work. Nope, every new ship (created today) still runs away as fast as it can while every other ship stays and fights.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this? Oh, and ever since downloading v.89, anything larger than about 10 sections causes the game to lag so much that the FPS drops to about 3 before even a shot is fired. Not sure if it's related but you guys might be able to help me with this too.

Running MS XP Professional with service pack 2
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

For your framerate issue, try turning everything off, such as surfaces, interpolation, particle effects, etc. That may help. If not, not sure how to help.

As for your ships...maybe the captains are all cowards? Seriously, I've never encountered this issue, so I can't help you there. Sorry. :?
Zone21
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zone21 »

As for your ships...maybe the captains are all cowards?
heh, that would explain it. But seriously, I tried almost everything I could think of. Old version or new, altered AI ranges, altered AI behaviors, large and small ships as well as different cores. Nothing has worked so far.

I will tinker with the graphics options, although my question is, was there an increase in the graphics between .88 and .89? Because the change is very significant.
BizzarreCoyote
Commander
Commander

Post by BizzarreCoyote »

Answer right here.
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

for object obj_sidebar:

Error in code at line 134:
l_colour = global.colour[obj_core.l_colourtype,l_colourmod]

at position 57: Array index >= 32000

Not sure how this happened. Nothing in my ship is black. I didn't even custom colour it yet...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Zone21 wrote:
As for your ships...maybe the captains are all cowards?
heh, that would explain it. But seriously, I tried almost everything I could think of. Old version or new, altered AI ranges, altered AI behaviors, large and small ships as well as different cores. Nothing has worked so far.
Nuke the site from orbit. Alternately, reinstall everything or use the zip 'installers'?
Zone21 wrote:I will tinker with the graphics options, although my question is, was there an increase in the graphics between .88 and .89? Because the change is very significant.
They're a bit wonky sometimes, unfortunately. I think th15 is trying to iron a few more kinks out of the surfacing right now.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

Oh found my problem out..One of my colours got changed to "Type 254764"
Zone21
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zone21 »

Well, after turning off surfaces, The game now runs at an acceptable level again. However, I still have the problem of the ships running away from each other. Has no one else experienced this problem?