BSF 2 suggestion topic.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Yeah but of having nice green team colours and you've coloured the thruster to match and then you spawn it as the enemy and you get a horrible clash. However if it such things were coloured in the same manner as sections then you'd have the best of everything, three choices of team colours plus any choice of set colours.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

Imaillusion wrote:This will probably only apply for the campaign ships, because everyone uses different colours for their ships, and they probably don't want their thruster sprite colours changed because their ship is on a particular "team".
I meant this as an option you can choose in the Ship Maker. Color them just like sections, use team colors OR use custom colors. Remember that people have different opinions about team colors.
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
Omicron
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Omicron »

OK new ideas!
1.Save game feature: For sandbox maps.
2.Attack pod:Weapon that sends a pod over to a ship when it hits a section (if it didnt get hit on the way)the pod sticks to the section and the section loses health gradually as the people (not visible) C4 it....
3.upgrade the ship deployer so it can have a limited amount of deployable shipsit and so it can retract things
4.loyalty:if the ship has lost a certain amount of health or sections or guns or the enemy is to large the ship has a chance to run away. this can be set in the ship maker -1 for a ship that will never run 1 for a ship that will always run and 99 for a ship that runs 1% of the time!

if you need help understanding some of these just ask!
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

Here's a thought: A way to change the stats of objects using triggers. (If it's not already ingame and I'm just missing it)
Ya know. The same way we can (de)activate moving/rotating sections now.
*Don't know or care if it was suggested before.
Don't you have stuff to do?
Ya know. The important things.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The health of each section relative to the core. At the moment, all sections closet to the core have the highest health, and other sections further out have less health. This should be the other way around, so that all sections further out have the most health, and the sections closer to the core have less.

Reasoning?

The other most sections of a ship make up the entire body (or hull, or whatever you want to call it) of a ship. If any enemy ship was to attack another, the first part of a ship it would be hitting would be body, or hull. Therefore the hull would need to have the most armour (or hp) to either escape, fire back, or whatever. Basically the hull needs to strong to suvive an attack (hence the higher hp).

Now the reason to this is that inside the hull, there is all the more fragile parts of the ship, like the reactor (core), navigational equipment (basically anything electronic), fuel and supplies, and of course the rooms that are holding the people, etc. All of these thing are weak in comparsion the the hull, which is why it is located inside the hull, not out of it. To show this, everything inside the hull (or closer to the core), should have lower hp.

But another factor to the hp of sections of a ship is that sections in front of the core generally have more hp than the sections behind it. This is a good idea, as the back of a ship would be weaker that the front, and this sort of factor encourages opposing ships to try to attack the back part of a ship (also known as "flanking").
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Imaillusion wrote:The health of each section relative to the core. At the moment, all sections closet to the core have the highest health, and other sections further out have less health. This should be the other way around, so that all sections further out have the most health, and the sections closer to the core have less.
Backwards much? seriously, think about this for a second, look at BSG, the reason those ships are so heavily armored is to protect them from impact, but each and every military ship is heavily armored all round, even inside, the reason being that if it weren't that way, a stray bit of dust could cause an explosive decompression.
Now the reason to this is that inside the hull, there is all the more fragile parts of the ship, like the reactor (core), navigational equipment (basically anything electronic), fuel and supplies, and of course the rooms that are holding the people, etc. All of these thing are weak in comparsion the the hull, which is why it is located inside the hull, not out of it. To show this, everything inside the hull (or closer to the core), should have lower hp.

But another factor to the hp of sections of a ship is that sections in front of the core generally have more hp than the sections behind it. This is a good idea, as the back of a ship would be weaker that the front, and this sort of factor encourages opposing ships to try to attack the back part of a ship (also known as "flanking").
Generally, a ship has all of its facilities on the inside to protect them from the outside, and weaker towards the core makes no sense, the core should be the most heavily armored bit of the ship, as generally, its the power core, and if that goes kaboom, you've got a problem.

In no Sci-fi series have i ever seen a ship with it backwards, the armor usually gets breached first and a ship explodes because of a core/powerplant breach or explosive decompression, if your idea would be applied to real life space ships, a tiny breach in the ISS could cause the whole station to destroy itself from the inside by the movement caused by the decompression(air moving)(example( a crate near a critical paper thin strut sent flying towards the strut)) by just flying through the paper thin inner frame.

Just look at Galactica, every part of that ships, weights Tons and Tons because its so heavily armored all round, but thats also the reason why they can handle a few dozen nukes on their hull.

Anyhow, i suggest a Sm feature, where you can, instead of setting each setting for movement, just click a button, then drag the section to the coordinates you want them to go to, and drop it there, then you just have to set delay, etc, and your done.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Talhydras
Commander
Commander

Post by Talhydras »

If you want to have a reasonable idea of the effects of decompression, watch 2001 instead of BSG.

But yes. Bullets that don't pierce your external armor can't pierce internal compartments. Explosive decompression is dramatic on submarines where the pressure gradient between the external deep sea environment and the internal atmosphere is many atmospheres worth of pressure. Military spaceships would be crewed by people with emergency vacuum suits available and possibly not even one earth atmosphere of pressure.

External armor should be generally higher than internal armor components, because the combined surface area of the internal components is greater than the surface area of the ship (if each component is equally armored). Thus, the same mass applied in both armoring schemes yields thicker (and more effective) armor when applied to the outside of the ship.
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Not gonna get involved in this because Talhydras is almost certainly right.
I just wanted to point out that unless I'm misreading it, ADM's request already exists. Try pressing 'T' when you have a section selected.

As for a wish, a decent encounter maker, look back a few pages (to my last post here) for specifics.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

*Wants to keep arguing, but is worried about being given a warning for thread hijaking. And as Bad Boy said "Talhydras is almost certainly right". Instead thinks about another suggestion...

Being able to change the resolution settings for the game. At the moment the game is running at 1024X764, isn't it? This way people with older computers can change down to like a 800X600 resolution, and people with stronger computers can change up to like a 1600X1200 resolution
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Imaillusion wrote:Being able to change the resolution settings for the game. At the moment the game is running at 1024X764, isn't it? This way people with older computers can change down to like a 800X600 resolution, and people with stronger computers can change up to like a 1600X1200 resolution
It would be sort of nice if BSF could utilize the 1920x1080 resolution I've spent hard cash to sport. Right now the window seems so painfully small sitting there in the middle. D:
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
crvenimajmun
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by crvenimajmun »

I got few ideas for BSF 2.

all sections and weapons in Anna .
power producing cores and power requirement for weapons,engines.

new weapons,sections and more doodads.
Bentusi
BANNED
Location: Recon mission in Galaxy NGC-276 "Canmus", sector 4.

Post by Bentusi »

crvenimajmun wrote:I got few ideas for BSF 2.

Good idea, like Gratuitous Space Battles, but, please, Optional. i mean, you can chose if that addition works or not :wink: . Oh, and you can add more sprites, just download, launch shipmarker4, select group arrange and dragg the new sprites :D, Easy.
I was banned for bandodging.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

Bentusi wrote:
crvenimajmun wrote:I got few ideas for BSF 2.

Good idea, like Gratuitous Space Battles, but, please, Optional. i mean, you can chose if that addition works or not :wink: . Oh, and you can add more sprites, just download, launch shipmarker4, select group arrange and dragg the new sprites :D, Easy.
except for the power things, everything is allready in BSF, and its not Anna its SWA. ShipWrightArms and Anna style make quite a difference, anyhow, people should be able to choose what style they want, not get SWA pushed onto them,some still prefer the older ''cleaner'' look.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
crvenimajmun
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by crvenimajmun »

without power things but at least some new weapons
inteuniso
Commander
Commander

Post by inteuniso »

I like the power production idea. It adds a new level of depth to the game. Your power generator should be related to your size though.
It's not my fault I can't take your post seriously.