BSF 2 suggestion topic.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Can a game dump all of that into a movie file?

Maybe if it was a specialized format for Battleships Forever movies (Lets go with .bfm, or something)
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
LordGarcia
Captain
Captain

Post by LordGarcia »

I'd prefer a Replay so that I can scroll perfectly around
Himura.Kenshin said: What kind of pure, absolute [i]retard[/i] would run a bomb by Windows?
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

LordGarcia wrote:I'd prefer a Replay so that I can scroll perfectly around
That would actually be pretty nice. You could see how something happened.
Like if your ship got flanked and you didn't see it, you could see the mistakes in your movements/formations.
Lord-General Thunder
Commander
Commander

Post by Lord-General Thunder »

I'm not sure that could be done at a constant 30 FPS. Depends on how high-end the graphics end up being.

Remember that while you may not have to handle AI, you *will* still have to handle weapon effects and section rendering.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/DraTuicichNovae/BLANKcopy-6.jpg[/img]
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

Lord-General Thunder wrote:
I'm not sure that could be done at a constant 30 FPS. Depends on how high-end the graphics end up being.

Remember that while you may not have to handle AI, you *will* still have to handle weapon effects and section rendering.
Actually, the Replay would be like one from Starcraft.
Essentially, the ENTIRE battle is saved as a replay file, playable at any allowed speed. Because the entire battle is saved, you can scroll around the map.
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

Magick wrote:
Your idea is completely pointless. Basically, he wants a module named "Randomizer"(stupid name for function) to have sections parented to it(POINTLESS)making those sections have a random length/width when put in the game and having the Randomizer's children parented to the section it's parented to.[/runon]

I understood it fine after analyzing it for about ten minutes....
no, no, you don't understand. it's not random length/ width, it's different GROUPS of sections, so you can repeat groups of sections randomly, or use different weapons. there are MULTIPLE part b's because there are multiple types of section. one second, i'll make a moc-up picture.

EDIT:
and here's the moc-up!
so the ship will randomly have one of the two noses.
Last edited by flabort on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
Magick
Captain
Captain

Post by Magick »

flabort wrote:
Magick wrote:
Your idea is completely pointless. Basically, he wants a module named "Randomizer"(stupid name for function) to have sections parented to it(POINTLESS)making those sections have a random length/width when put in the game and having the Randomizer's children parented to the section it's parented to.[/runon]

I understood it fine after analyzing it for about ten minutes....
no, no, you don't understand. it's not random length/ width, it's different GROUPS of sections, so you can repeat groups of sections randomly, or use different weapons. there are MULTIPLE part b's because there are multiple types of section. one second, i'll make a moc-up picture.
ok, NOW i'm confused.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lord-General Thunder wrote:A setting for weapons that causes them to treat the ship as their turret, ala HW2 Ion Cannon frigates that point themselves at the target and can only fire directly ahead. That, plus an AI to handle spinal-mount guns.
It's called standard AI and a five-degree firing arc. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
FIREST0RM000
Captain
Captain

Post by FIREST0RM000 »

AD, I think one of the things that needs to be added in here is the record feature, that lets us play the battle back at 30fps speed.
as already said that was in the previous topic.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... start=1290
end of page 87. I posted it, the modds said awesome, and it was all good. maybe some of the previously mentioned things should be on the front page. glad carriers made it there, but all kinds of weapon mods, and shipmaker changes should be there too. Edit: forgot the cost system that has been ask for a million times; personaly I think I have seen it enough, and there isn't any posibly new someone could add.. annnnd perhaps a read the manual first, noob, before posting??

I understand what you are saying. It could work if implemented correctly. to rephrase, basically each ship has several sets of wings or noses or whatever weapon system, and this would make the game randomly chose one upon spawning a ship in. I like the Idea, but your Idea of implementing it frankly sucks. It could work if there was a set of pieces that work with other parent pieces. for the sake of simplicity, I'll call them mega pieces. basically you chose a core, and depending on that core, different mega pieces are available (think pre-designed group of 10-30 pieces and components) then you would chose one of these pieces, then each of those would have a set to add and so forth. basically it gives a modular feel while you keep control of your ship.

really it isn't the graphics that are the problem. as TH15 has said before, the requirements to do the physics increase exponentially as you add more objects, but simply saving what is where when eliminates that problem, and keeps the effort needed to run it a direct function as opposed to exponential. it would probably be about the same for a small skirmish,with no gain in preformance, but a face off between 2 super dreadnoughts could be sped up 10, even 60 times.
"any problem can be solved with a gratuitous enough use of high explosives" Normandy
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Ok, it's simple how a replay would run at 30 fps, or even 90, or if you're really in a hurry, 270. Simple enough, the game silently takes a screenshot of the entire map every frame, then puts them all together later in a slide show at 30 screens every second. Granted, it would be difficult to code and require large amounts of memory, but it is entirely possible.

As to my suggestion: SVN support.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Or you could just have the game record position, angle, speed, targets, etc. etc. and then rather than making a movie as everyone and their mother seems to be suggesting, this more easily compressed format (since it merely contains instructions for the reproduction of the battle) can then be replayed... although it would rely on native rendering (thus not having the FPS advantage... but honestly, I think FPS will be getting a big boost in BSF2, and you can't always have your cake and eat it too) in this case.

More size-efficient though.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

The ability to choose the sprite of a turret, IE make my beamer look like a gatling blaster, or even a frosch.

The ability to change the AI on a module to 'turret', meaning it doesn't need special treatment and fires like a normal turret. Of course it would only work for certain turrets, like gluons or frosches, but you get the idea.
What?
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by What? »

Ability to use WASD or the arrow keys to control 1 ships. Hehe. What...

[color=blue]AD EDIT; Added to the list.[/color]
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

That too.
Captain Trek
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Captain Trek »

to rephrase, basically each ship has several sets of wings or noses or whatever weapon system, and this would make the game randomly chose one upon spawning a ship in.
I reckon that would be a great thing for pirate ships... Indeed, a simple version of this sort of thing already exists in BSF 1, where the nose of the pirate cruiser will either carry two mining beams or two pulse guns, whci is (as far as I cna tell) determined at random...
[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/CaptainTrek/Federationsignature.jpg[/img]