BSF 2 suggestion topic.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

unsunghero10 wrote:"power junctions" and connecting wires, if these are destroyed, all modules and weapons will power down. Would add another level of detail in ship designs, and could possibly help balance uber-weapon ships. Causes minor damage if destroyed.
So, wires, switches, transformers, and electrical gear. Let's implement Maxwell's equations and electrical conductivity as well as insulator breakdown voltage as well as magnetic field effects in their mechanics while we're at it. Shalom differential calculus!
unsunghero10 wrote:'Power nodes" supplies power junctions, and directly connects to aegis devices. Affected by lancet. Causes major damage and can overload/destroy connected junctions if destroyed.
And this is called a "reactor-generator set". Let's implement nuclear physics for different classes of reactor. You know what, fuck it. Let's go Whole Hog and make everything into computational engineering and design, maybe with subroutines that compute weapon effects from materials equations of state as well as thermal and fluid-mechanics modeling! Awesome! :D
unsunghero10 wrote:"Anti-matter missile" Single use, very big, make-the-game-crash weapon that simply blows everything into quarks, even if intercepted. For those of you wanting to get closer to god, very quickly.
Nukegun. Stupidly-long reload into four digits, hilariously short range, comically-huge blast radius (maybe five digits), and Lucky Nines damage. DONE.
Nutcase
Captain
Captain

Post by Nutcase »

And friendly fire. Otherwise it'll just blow the other guy up.
And who in their right mind would use such a weapon anyway?
Don't you have stuff to do?
Ya know. The important things.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Any one who realizes how powerful Anti-matter is.
Just one quarter of a kilo-gram of Anti-matter provides the explosive power of the Hiroshima bomb.
So blowing someone's ship open would require merely a gram of anti-matter in a large round.

Put aside the fact that we can't produce more than a few molecules at a time right now. =P
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Oh, forgot about friendly-fire, otherwise we'd just have a Gradius-3 style "Mega Crush" effect.

Hmm, that sounds like a swell idea!
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

It would be rather funny for the crew, they see an enemy they fire their missile they meet their God.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Option to have a weapon automatically shift fire to another target after X number of shots are fired. Would be useful for automated gun turrets or missile-spam attacks. Could also be theoretically used to make a LIDAR array (three or four Microbeamers with no or small damage and hilarious range, RoF, and turning; you use them exactly like a laser sight to hit targets beyond your screen range) paint all enemy targets in their field of view in rapid succession.
InkFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by InkFox »

I've looked through a few pages, but it's a bit much to make sure these aren't suggested already so I'll simply post and don my flame-suit, just in case:

Personal work station:
in the ship builder, it would be nice to have a customized work space, with an automatically opening ini for sections you use (whichever ones you save for it); be able to save weapons into a file that you could draw from directly form the sb without hafting to change stats or sprites

Explosions:
not having so much effect on the ships place, a single piece can often send a massive ship rushing across the screen, maybe make the speed based on the size of the section vs size of the ship; either way I'd like to see it toned down a tad.

anyway, still love the program, incredible outlet for creativity with the reward of watching your creations blow each other to pieces XD
And so I curiously venture into the world of shipbuilding, unsure of what I might find...
Omegaspace
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Omegaspace »

I would like Time based waves for the encounter and 3d ships.
Also i would prefer a translation in other languages.
Dat Viymese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Dat Viymese »

A translation for other languages would be too hard!
would it?
I just Came to enjoy the sites! <(^.^)>

I do have my dignity, its just in a box somewhere in the north atlantic sea...

forums...aren't they lovely?
[quote="inteuniso"] Welcome to the site. We're always glad to have new meat- I mean members.[/quote]
KOZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by KOZ »

i think it'd be nice if bugs were worked out so that the newest OS could always work it... I have win7 64-bit and it doesn't work on it...so far it only seems to work in 32-bit OS's.

also the games pretty awesome already but maybe the maps could be made bigger and the option to add more to an environment (like a wall or something or black hole or ai that attacked anything (" a space dragon" ROFL)..

yup, just puttin that out there :D
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Guided weapons homing on the mouse cursor in DC mode (or, if linked to a fixed 'laser pointer' thing, its impact point on a target: LASER GUIDED WEAPONS). That way missile spam can be walked across enemy targets.

Also, a 'chaff projector' or 'sandcaster' weapon that can spawn multiple very small sections to get painted by a targeting laser instead of the launching ship's hull. The applications for this as a kinetic weapon aren't far fetched: simply set the spawned section to be some glow fx thing with additive blending and BOOM! Instant Shotgun!
Grath
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Grath »

Re-make it entirely in a reasonable programming language so there'll be fewer Game Maker-related bottlenecks, which show up in performance, options, AND OS compatibility.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Grath wrote:Re-make it entirely in a reasonable programming language so there'll be fewer Game Maker-related bottlenecks, which show up in performance, options, AND OS compatibility.

That's actually what's being done. That was kind of the point of BSF2.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

thanto_ wrote:
Grath wrote:Re-make it entirely in a reasonable programming language so there'll be fewer Game Maker-related bottlenecks, which show up in performance, options, AND OS compatibility.

That's actually what's being done. That was kind of the point of BSF2.
Sorry cap'n, ain't seen shit about that in months! :lol:
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I've said this a fair few times, but I'll say it again:

A half decent encounter maker: three simple things - preset ship movement, the ability to set whether a ship jumps in or not, and ingame text.
These three things (particularly the first and last) will make the encounter maker a lot better and more complete feeling. None of them should be difficult (although I know little about coding, and nothing about BSF's code so I can't judge that with any surety), you can just leave out a picture or make it show static for ingame text, ship jumping is already changeable via waves and delay, and in sandbox, and for preset ship movement, all you need is an initial direction and speed, turning, speed changes and stopping can be ignored for now.

Even if you can only set these things through fiddling with text files, it'd make it so much better.