BSF 2 suggestion topic.

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Possibly a better destruction system, whereas when the core is destroyed, all the other pieces stay connected, but non-functional, like hulled ships in a battlefield.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
EriErin
Commander
Commander

Post by EriErin »

Logic gates for triggers (AND, OR, XOR, NOT, etc).

That, and proper ship contrails. Contrails make everything so much better.
[quote="Anna"]Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'll fuck you with a rake.[/quote]
Coriolis
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Coriolis »

More flexibility for triggers, including the logic stuff Eri said above. Perhaps a more advanced scripting editor in addition to the current interface?
Insert wittiness here.
nu-ker
Ensign
Ensign

Post by nu-ker »

maybe not bsf 2 but maybe in a number of years in the future (far in the future perhaps) make it 3D only a wacky idea so don't turn around and say that will never happen because i know how long it would take to turn this game into 3D with all the coding and graphics and also it might not be able to stay free because that kind of thing cost money for the programs and such so like i said just a wacky idea
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

Widescreen support, at minimum, or support for a bunch of different screen sizes at most (1280 X 800, 1680 X 1040, 1900 X 1200, etc.)
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Don't forget the classic 1280*1024 and 1600*1200!:D

Anyway, there are two things that I'd kinda like to see:
1: The ability to choose where SM saves it's screenshots
2: Vertical movement (I've already suggested this, but the thread I put it in is long since dead and buried)
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Verminator
Captain
Captain

Post by Verminator »

I'd like an AI option that only allows a ship forward thrust and the ability to turn, as opposed to being able to strafe in all directions. It'd make fighters more feasible and engagements more interesting and tactical. You'd have to take line of fire into account. Combine that with negative AI ranges and/or high top speed/low acceleration values and you've got good fighter AI.
I have to kill fast and bullets are [i]too slow.[/i]
Warpman
Commander
Commander

Post by Warpman »

1 Possibility to create AIs (Fighter AI!!!(
2 More realistic weapon fire (you let the bomb go and it flies at your speed the same direction as you did when you let it go)
3 [More of all] Some more weapons and subsystems.....You have imagination, don't you? :roll:
4 and Multiplayer with custom ships....although it seems to be 99% impossible...
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Recently I have been finding myself wanting one particular feature more and more: The ability to set the default scaling of sections.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Exethalion
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Exethalion »

If sections can be stretched, then surely they can be skewed? That would be useful in my opinion.
drekisol
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by drekisol »

multiple parenting of sections so u can have a power core that would destroy say a mega powered beam weapon on the other side of the ship or the weapon section its located on would destroy it when it goes =)
natan_j
Commander
Commander

Post by natan_j »

If I'm correct in my guess as to how section parenting is currently implemented (section has id values of its children, and in destroy event, it destroys all of its children), AND style multi-parenting would be trivial to implement in BSF, and not much more complicated to add into the SM.
The system for setting multiple parents in the SM could use three commands; set parent, add parent, remove parent. Checks would have to be put in place to make sure that all sections are ultimately parented to the core (there should already be a similar system in place), and that every section has at least one parent (because section orphans would be...interesting).

However, there are a few problems that could arise in adding this functionality. If BSF doesn't use the above method to handle section parenting, this won't work at all, save a large (and therefore unlikely) rewrite of the related code. Also, any functions that traverse parentage up from children to their parents would have to be re-written, the more of these there are, the less likely it will be done. There's also probably a few more issues that could crop up that I haven't foreseen, any of which could (and probably would, thanks to Murphy) prove fatal to the implementation of multi-parenting.
Oh, and don't get your hopes up that OR-style multi-parenting could be added too, that'll be a LOT more complex.

Oh, and @Exethalion: I checked, and the GM wiki doesn't even have a single page that mentions 'skew', and I don't remember enough to know if it would be possible. Just make a skewed custom section, it's easy enough.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267]Ships of the Imperial Tul'tharian Navy.[/url]
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2878]Minifleet Project.[/url]
MelvinVm
BANNED

Post by MelvinVm »

A group/part saver, to save good structures/wings/pieces of ships for use on other ships.
Like you got one hell of a cool wing, but you have trouble rebuilding it, loading it from some group-save thing would be nice by then.
Danny420Dale
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Danny420Dale »

Thruster activation trigger, so I can properly teach the Kzinti Lesson to the xenos scum.

After all, you can't expect me to believe that getting too close to an engine burning like that will leave your ship smelling like roses, ponies, and rainbows! :lol:
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

MelvinVm wrote:A group/part saver, to save good structures/wings/pieces of ships for use on other ships.
Like you got one hell of a cool wing, but you have trouble rebuilding it, loading it from some group-save thing would be nice by then.
fyi, I believe this is already possible. I made a pattern of sections in test 1.sb4, then opened it in notepad and copied the sections data, and put it into the empty test 2.sb4. When opened the same sections in the same pattern were there. May not be that simple but it seemed to work for me. I think the parenting and coordinate data is able to be copied.

*confirmed with other ships, but maybe difficult to tell sections apart. Easiest to delete parts you don't want to transfer and save as a temp sb4, then copy from there.