Battleships Forever FAQ

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

AnnihilatorX wrote:I understands it's a elaborate system but I fail to see proper implementation will make it too complex.
Im not saying it would be complex or hard to do. Its just a lot of work for small reward.
AnnihilatorX wrote:...just tell me to shut up.
Okay, shut up =P

But seriously... i appreciate your intentions, but the fact is that you don't know how it works inside SM, so your effort is pretty much pointless.
AnnihilatorX wrote:To store that undo info, you just need to store the 2 object's parameter sets, no?
No. Theres is much more to it than just parenting. There are data structures responsible for... well, a lot of stuff, and sometimes its a one-to-many relationship, not one-to-one.
AnnihilatorX wrote:... and unknown ID are added as new blocks with same ID
If you mean that new objects will be assigned the ID of previously deleted objects then no, it doesn't always work like that, and you have no control over how IDs are assigned.

Otherwise, you are correct in your assumptions.
RedWing
Ensign
Ensign

Post by RedWing »

Does Linking work with beam weapons? I can't seem to make them all shoot straight.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

Kaelis, to make sure I understand this right, this game is not a freeform program, but created within a pre-programmed gaming parameter and is set to use the coding rules set by the program? Like MS Access? Having been forced to program in access for too many years when I was aching to just have them let me do it in C++ and Java, I do feel your pains there. Its like modding a game: you have to play by the rules.

Coincidentally, I am on a Mod Team, so I do understand where your coming from.

My Question: Is is possible to restore at least SOME of a ship from a .shp file if the .sb4 is lost or replaced? Not talking about different versions this time, but something that HAD an .sb4 at one time. This would allow ships to be partly restored if the .sb4 was lost, or open stock ships that do not have such a file perhaps?
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

I believe that the problem with that would be that many people (who don't want others to get .sb4s of their ship for whatever reason) simply hand out the .shp
If you were able to recreate the ship from the .shp file, you could no longer do that.
Krishach
Commander
Commander

Post by Krishach »

depending on what it saves or converts and what it does not, but I see your point.

Though, in terms of visual, you can copy pretty much anything by look if you can see it well. Many works here will be pirated if it comes to that just simply because they posted their works. Its a risk any artist takes, and these cannot be copyrighted by the creator simply because they are copyrighted with the BSF license, and will change as it does. Technically, Wyrdysm owns everything we've posted here I think. But I do want to know if its possible or not.
"Forgive my rudeness. I cannot abide useless people." -Murphy, Firefly

[b]Images removed for thoroughly violating width limit.[/b]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Krishach wrote:Kaelis, to make sure I understand this right, this game is not a freeform program, but created within a pre-programmed gaming parameter and is set to use the coding rules set by the program?
No idea what you're talking about, but if it helps, BSF is made with Game Maker.
Krishach wrote:Coincidentally, I am on a Mod Team, so I do understand where your coming from.
Again, no idea what that has to do with anything.
Krishach wrote:My Question: Is is possible to restore at least SOME of a ship from a .shp file if the .sb4 is lost or replaced?
Yes, at least partially, but it would be alot of work to code it, and thats not the purpose of .shp to begin with. If someone has lost his sb4, either its an anomaly or his own fault.

Krishach wrote:Many works here will be pirated if it comes to that just simply because they posted their works.
Somehow i can't imagine why would someone want to 'pirate' ships posted here...
Exileman
Ensign
Ensign

Sprites

Post by Exileman »

Is there a way to always have certain extra sprites loaded? I like to have several options and would really like to not have to reload them every time.

Edit: Never mind. Actually paid attention and found the sprites ini option.
VNilla
Commander
Commander

Post by VNilla »

This is going to sound random, but who composed the game's music? I want to give credit in the info tags on the .mp3 files I've made for my iPod.
Ne me forcez pas à arracher votre gorge, s'il vous plaît.
~~~~~
[b]ZOMG NINJA SARCASM[/b] :shock:
~~~~~
[quote="Arcalane"]If anyone says "y'all" again I'm going to string them up and put their head on a pike.[/quote]
Rogue 9
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rogue 9 »

Are there plans to finish the campaign? The last two missions have been unavailable for literally years, and it's driving me nuts.
"Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein
Froggy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Froggy »

Q: I was wondering can you make new ship core sections and use those in the ship-maker?
Time is ageless, in its own right, but scarred from the ages.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You can't.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Froggy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Froggy »

Pity, that would be interesting.
Time is ageless, in its own right, but scarred from the ages.
12321YYH
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Battleships Forever FAQ

Post by 12321YYH »

I get this message everytime I start the game
for object GUI_MainTitle:

Error defining an external function.

I also get different messages when i start to acutally play it and when I try to close. I ve already re downloaded BSF but that didn't work either. Please help!!!!
How many men can we afford to lose in this goddamned war!!!
X-14
Commander
Commander

Grafik Problem

Post by X-14 »

pls delete problem solved ^^
Last edited by X-14 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk220/Dragon50biz/HigurashiSig1.png[/img]
shamrocksoldier
Commander
Commander

Re: Battleships Forever FAQ

Post by shamrocksoldier »

^*Facepalm* Turn the glow off by going to the color options and slide the glow sliders all the way to black in the options menu. then edit this post because one of the mod's is liable to get pissed for asking this question which has been answered a million times.
UNGW Fleet:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6452
The War for the colonies:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6454

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. But In the morning, I shall be sober.”