Battleships Forever FAQ

Discuss all things Battleships Forever that aren't Ships and Shipmaker - Missions, Development, etc.!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

crazedbirdthing
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Battleships Forever FAQ

Post by crazedbirdthing »

I dunno if this is the right place, but I registered solely because I need help. My system is Windows 7, 64 bit. BSF + Shipmaker do not work after I install them or use the zip file. I'm going to come back later with more details, but first I want to see if the forum is still alive. :)
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I have the same system specs. I couldn't get it to run either, but the shipmaker repack works fine on mine.
Just copy, paste, and play.

Here it is. It's in the first post.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5764
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
thormessiah
Ensign
Ensign

Post by thormessiah »

Im at the end of my rope here! Every time I add a a custom ship to the sandbox, I get an error message and the game closes. Any way to correct this shit?
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Please post the error message so we can see what exactly is wrong.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Hello, I have a few questions.

1. This game was released almost a decade ago, and last official version was released a few years ago, too. However, it is unfinished, and I have seen some beta releases. Does that mean it is still in development?

2. Where do I report bugs?

3. Will built-in ships (both terran and enemy) be available in custom encounter maker? Because right now only custom ships are supported, and I would like to add some default ships to the mix, and replicating built in ships in shipmaker isn't easy because I don't know their custom armor/weapons values which I noticed some of them have.

4. What is that "modding", exactly? I guess it isn't something with GML because that would require the game to be open source. Is it simpy using custom features of weapons?

5. Will you ever release it as open source and add modding support (I mean different kind of modding, which lets you almost fully customise elements and add gimmicks)? Weapon customisation is cool and everything, but it would be cool if it was possible to make gimmicky weapons, and that isn't possible with the current way it works. If you don't release it as open source, will you ever add modding support, will you allow some other way which doesn't require viewing the source? Or is there already a way to make new weapons/segments/other stuff?(I don't mean modifying weapons, I mean adding completely new stuff like a completely new point defense mechanism etc.)
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lukasmah wrote:Hello, I have a few questions.

1. This game was released almost a decade ago, and last official version was released a few years ago, too. However, it is unfinished, and I have seen some beta releases. Does that mean it is still in development?
Not officially.

Lukasmah wrote:2. Where do I report bugs?
If it's for a beta build, in the beta build's thread. Otherwise just make a thread in this forum or something.

Lukasmah wrote:3. Will built-in ships (both terran and enemy) be available in custom encounter maker? Because right now only custom ships are supported, and I would like to add some default ships to the mix, and replicating built in ships in shipmaker isn't easy because I don't know their custom armor/weapons values which I noticed some of them have.
No. The Encounter Maker was hacked together to begin with and I have no intention of touching the code for it. I suspect nobody else wants to touch it either. Just... don't bother with it if you can avoid it.

Lukasmah wrote:4. What is that "modding", exactly? I guess it isn't something with GML because that would require the game to be open source. Is it simpy using custom features of weapons?
Pretty much.

Lukasmah wrote:5. Will you ever release it as open source and add modding support (I mean different kind of modding, which lets you almost fully customise elements and add gimmicks)? Weapon customisation is cool and everything, but it would be cool if it was possible to make gimmicky weapons, and that isn't possible with the current way it works. If you don't release it as open source, will you ever add modding support, will you allow some other way which doesn't require viewing the source? Or is there already a way to make new weapons/segments/other stuff?(I don't mean modifying weapons, I mean adding completely new stuff like a completely new point defense mechanism etc.)
Open Source is almost certainly not happening, so modding is probably off the table for now as well. If by 'segments' you mean 'sections', then you can already import any .gif or .png image as a section sprite/custom projectile/etc. -- animated gifs can also be used to make doodads, custom projectiles, and so on.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

I ment adding custom codes and gimmicks to weapons, but I guess if there is no open source there is no modding.

More questions:

Is BSF in devlopment? Will BSF 2 have all (or most of) the features from BSF 1? And will you start accepting suggestions for it again anytime in the future?
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Lukasmah wrote:I ment adding custom codes and gimmicks to weapons, but I guess if there is no open source there is no modding.

More questions:

Is BSF in devlopment? Will BSF 2 have all (or most of) the features from BSF 1? And will you start accepting suggestions for it again anytime in the future?
Again, not officially. There are beta/test builds of new features every few months at best; nothing remotely regarding official development or regular updates. The campaign will likely never be finished.

None of us really have any idea what th15 has planned for any potential sequels, if anything, so obviously we can't comment in that regard.

Making suggestions at this stage is irrelevant. If BSF 2 is ever a thing, then I imagine there will be opportunities to make suggestions.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Vakapad
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Vakapad »

Kay i guess this goes to FAQ though not associated with the game. So... Is there any way to change the name of a topic created by you? Or should i just make a new one if I am about to post a fleet of ships?
I do not know what wapons will thw third world war will bw fought with,
but the ones after that are to be with GIGANIC SPACESHIPS OF DOOM!
/Albert Einstein/ ...No that maybe wasn't him
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Vakapad wrote:Kay i guess this goes to FAQ though not associated with the game. So... Is there any way to change the name of a topic created by you? Or should i just make a new one if I am about to post a fleet of ships?
Simply rename the subject of your first post in editing.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Vakapad
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Vakapad »

Thanks a lot!
I do not know what wapons will thw third world war will bw fought with,
but the ones after that are to be with GIGANIC SPACESHIPS OF DOOM!
/Albert Einstein/ ...No that maybe wasn't him